PDA

View Full Version : "How to lose Christ (and find Jesus)"

Adelaide
07-21-2013, 01:15 PM
The sudden realization that this belief is patently and irrefutably false, that the Bible is replete with the most blatant and obvious errors and contradictions — just as one would expect from a document written by hundreds of different hands across thousands of years — left me confused and spiritually unmoored.

And so, like many people in my situation, I angrily discarded my faith as if it were a costly forgery I had been duped into buying.

I began to rethink the faith and culture of my forefathers, finding in them a deeper, more intimate familiarity than I ever had as a child, the kind that comes from reconnecting with an old friend after many years apart.

Meanwhile, I continued my academic work in religious studies, delving back into the Bible not as an unquestioning believer but as an inquisitive scholar. No longer chained to the assumption that the stories I read were literally true, I became aware of a more meaningful truth in the text.

Ironically, the more I learned about the life of the historical Jesus, the turbulent world in which he lived, and the brutality of the Roman occupation that he defied, the more I was drawn to him.

The Jewish peasant and revolutionary who challenged the rule of the most powerful empire the world had ever known became so much more real to me than the detached, unearthly being I had been introduced to in church.

Today, I can confidently say that two decades of rigorous academic research into the origins of Christianity has made me a more genuinely committed disciple of Jesus of Nazareth than I ever was of Jesus Christ.

I have modeled my life not after the celestial spirit whom many Christians believe sacrificed himself for our sins, but rather after the illiterate, marginal Jew who gave his life fighting an unwinnable battle against the religious and political powers of his day on behalf of the poor and the dispossessed – those his society deemed unworthy of saving.

How to lose Christ (and find Jesus) - CNN Belief Blog (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/20/losing-christ-and-finding-jesus/?hpt=hp_c3)

I follow this section of CNN somewhat regularly because it often has interesting takes on religion and spirituality. I found this piece to be particularly interesting. The author considers herself to have grown up in a household of "lukewarm Muslims and exuberant atheists" and was an immigrant from Iran during the time of the Iranian revolution. She speaks about her mother and family having to hide her religion (Islam) because in the 1980s "Muslim was like being from Mars." So she described religion being almost entirely removed from her life... except for Jesus, because he was absolutely accepted by Americans. So her article goes on to explain how she felt more American by accepting Jesus. But in turn, her beliefs about who and what he was changed.

Anyways, very interesting article. I'm curious to see what other members think about it. I personally obviously do not think about Jesus the same way Christians would.

Peter1469
07-21-2013, 01:22 PM
How to lose Christ (and find Jesus) - CNN Belief Blog (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/20/losing-christ-and-finding-jesus/?hpt=hp_c3)

I follow this section of CNN somewhat regularly because it often has interesting takes on religion and spirituality. I found this piece to be particularly interesting. The author considers herself to have grown up in a household of "lukewarm Muslims and exuberant atheists" and was an immigrant from Iran during the time of the Iranian revolution. She speaks about her mother and family having to hide her religion (Islam) because in the 1980s "Muslim was like being from Mars." So she described religion being almost entirely removed from her life... except for Jesus, because he was absolutely accepted by Americans. So her article goes on to explain how she felt more American by accepting Jesus. But in turn, her beliefs about who and what he was changed.

Anyways, very interesting article. I'm curious to see what other members think about it. I personally obviously do not think about Jesus the same way Christians would.

I liked this part the best:

Meanwhile, I continued my academic work in religious studies, delving back into the Bible not as an unquestioning believer but as an inquisitive scholar. No longer chained to the assumption that the stories I read were literally true, I became aware of a more meaningful truth in the text.

roadmaster
07-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I see the Bible inspired by the Holy Spirit or His living Word. Jesus is whom I serve or God, whichever you call Him. Sometimes people get caught up in traditions or ceremonies but I keep my eyes on Him. In my darkest hours, I don't need to call a preacher because all I have to do is talk to Him because He is always here.

Chris
07-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Am I allowed to say I appreciate both adelaide's question and roadrunner's response? I accept an historical jesus but just the same respect Christian beliefs.

GrassrootsConservative
07-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Nobody needs to "lose Christ (and find Jesus)." ALL Religions must be lost if mankind is to thrive as a species for very much longer. Eventually one of these lunatics is going to push the big red button on an apocalyptic nuclear war. I don't know if it will be a bible-thumper or a towelhead, and it doesn't matter. The shit is going to hit the fan very soon. The Religious texts command it.

Tear the veil from the eyes of your fellow man, let them see the error of their ways. Maybe it will save you from imminent doom. Maybe for a moment.

jillian
07-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Nobody needs to "lose Christ (and find Jesus)." ALL Religions must be lost if mankind is to thrive as a species for very much longer. Eventually one of these lunatics is going to push the big red button on an apocalyptic nuclear war. I don't know if it will be a bible-thumper or a towelhead, and it doesn't matter. The shit is going to hit the fan very soon. The Religious texts command it.

Tear the veil from the eyes of your fellow man, let them see the error of their ways. Maybe it will save you from imminent doom. Maybe for a moment.

I think you're talking about the difference between religious zealotry and spirituality. Spirituality is nurturing and an be found in many forms.

Religious zealotry based on the "my religion is better than your religion" and "I'm the only person who has G-d's ear and the rest of you are going to hell" is what is dangerous....

religious fundamentalism never bodes well for society.

Chris
07-22-2013, 09:02 AM
I think you're talking about the difference between religious zealotry and spirituality. Spirituality is nurturing and an be found in many forms.

Religious zealotry based on the "my religion is better than your religion" and "I'm the only person who has G-d's ear and the rest of you are going to hell" is what is dangerous....

religious fundamentalism never bodes well for society.

You've created a dichotomy, one bad and one good, and put yourself in the good. But believing anything goes, imo, leads to a moral relativism as bad as zealotry.

roadmaster
07-26-2013, 02:40 PM
You've created a dichotomy, one bad and one good, and put yourself in the good. But believing anything goes, imo, leads to a moral relativism as bad as zealotry.

:grin: But I always laugh when they don't know their own History. Over 10,000 Jews joined the Confederate army, with many of them serving as officers according to Jewish History reports. People need to know their own History before cutting down others.

Chris
07-26-2013, 02:43 PM
:grin: But I always laugh when they don't know their own History. Over 10,000 Jews joined the Confederate army, with many of them serving as officers according to Jewish History reports. People need to know their own History before cutting down others.

That's quite interesting. Like what I discovered about blacks serving in the Revolutionary War back when Count What's His Name was here. Always amazing what our public education system buries.

roadmaster
07-26-2013, 03:00 PM
That's quite interesting. Like what I discovered about blacks serving in the Revolutionary War back when Count What's His Name was here. Always amazing what our public education system buries. The south knows their History, the good and bad. When the north would send them to Charleston to sell my ancestors and I have only their letters would say how sad it was to see families torn apart. That they could not imagine having one of their kids up there. But the north would send their children to be sold here when they got of age. It was not something the majority of the people in the south liked. I guess that's why only less than 1% owned or bought them.