PDA

View Full Version : Obama Adminsitration Boosts Web Gambling.....

MMC
12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration cleared the way for states to legalize Internet poker and certain other online betting in a switch that may help them reap billions in tax revenue and spur web-based gambling.
A Justice Department opinion dated September and made public on Friday reversed decades of previous policy that included civil and criminal charges against operators of some of the most popular online poker sites.

Until now, the department held that online gambling in all forms was illegal under the Wire Act of 1961, which bars wagers via telecommunications that cross state lines or international borders.
The new interpretation, by the department's Office of Legal Counsel, said the Wire Act applies only to bets on a "sporting event or contest," not to a state's use of the Internet to sell lottery tickets to adults within its borders or abroad.

But the department's conclusion would eliminate "almost every federal anti-gambling law that could apply to gaming that is legal under state laws," Rose wrote on his blog at www.gamblingandthelaw.com.
If a state legalized intra-state games such as poker, as Nevada and the District of Columbia have done, "there is simply no federal law that could apply" against their operators, he said.

The department expressed no opinion about a provision in the law that lets prosecutors shut down phone lines where interstate or foreign gambling is taking place.
Many of the 50 U.S. states may be interested in creating online lotteries to boost tax revenues and help offset the ripple effect of a federal deficit-reduction push.
The global online gambling industry grew 12 percent last year to as much as $30 billion, according to a survey in March by Global Betting and Gaming Consultancy, based on the Isle of Man, where online gambling is legal.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/gambling-gets-boost-obama-administration-223603445.html <<<<< More Here!

New Intrepretation by the Obama Adminstration. Over the Wire Act and arguments of legalized online gambling as with gambling over phonelines that already are interstate. As well as the sale of lottery tickets online and over interstate laws. Still playing with commerce laws eh Mr . President? :angry:

wingrider
12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
now this is a turnaround for sure..

I had to quit playing online free holdem poker because the feds shut down all the sites I was on.. just about 8 months ago and now they are reversing that decision >>? hmmm they must have figured out a way to get revenue from the sites so of course it will be legal again,,

by the way how do you collect taxes on a site that no money exchanges hands and the players are playing for points instead of cash?/

miserable feds are screwing up everything they touch, TSA is a fucking joke, no gambling cause you might lose 20 bucks and that would be devastating to the economy, the president taking vacations that cost the taxpayers milllions,, what a fucked up country we live in.

Conley
12-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Still no sportsbetting, eh? Freaking joke. Any other country in the world you can do it... I can go to Canada or Europe and bet against my Chargers, but not here in America (or Amerika as IronBoltBruce would call it :D)

WR, I read about the Feds busting those poker sites. A lot of people lost a lot of money, I'm glad you weren't one of them. I didn't even know playing poker online was illegal, it's on ESPN all the time and you see all those guys like Ivey and Hellmuth advertising Poker Stars, etc.

Not sure why we need Mommy Government to tell us what we can and can't do. :rollseyes:

I hate taxes but if we have to have them better that we have sin taxes on things we don't need (booze, smokes, and gambling) than on basic necessities. The government could make a lot of money off legalized gambling like they do in other countries, but nope, better to drive it underground and offshore where that money goes to criminals.

wingrider
12-26-2011, 10:19 AM
right on CL.. I am gettig so fed up with this nanny fucking government that I am about to tell uncle sam to stick this country in his ass and move to Costa Rica. at least there you don't have the government telling you how to live every waking second of your life.. damn I miss the personal freedoms this country use to have

Conley
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Interesting you say that - I have read a lot about Americans going down there and loving life. It is really upsetting to see how many freedoms we've lost in this country, and now with the President signing off on a bill that says he can detain anyone, citizen or not, indefinitely our Founders must be rolling in their graves. There's another bill that regulates the internet that could be used to shut down websites like this one where we talk politics too. Under this bill, any major conglomerate can shut down a website just by accusing them of copyright infringement. It's crazy.

MMC
12-26-2011, 10:51 AM
That one is designed to control these social sites and find out who is a potential threat to the Establishment. Because they know that New Democracy comes with a backlash. Meaning it can happen to you. So they are going to take all the necessary steps to get shit put into law that should not be there. Plus now you know the Pols have found a way to get their hands into this chunk of money.

MMC
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I heard it was Aruba.....83 degrees all year round. No winter. No major government to deal with. the only thing is you on an Island. Surrounded by the Ocean. Everything is almost perfect......except that part about being surrounded by the Ocean!!!!! :wink:

wingrider
12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I heard it was Aruba.....83 degrees all year round. No winter. No major government to deal with. the only thing is you on an Island. Surrounded by the Ocean. Everything is almost perfect......except that part about being surrounded by the Ocean!!!!! :wink:

got to say no on aruba , way to expensive,, you can live pretty darn good in Costa rica on about 1000 a month,, the more i think about the more ready I am to get on a boat and get the hell out of here.. No planes for me, tsa would have me arrested o the spot.. cause I don't travel unprotected. if you get my drift

Conley
12-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Islands can get expensive can't they? Harder to get access to stuff...

Ah nm I see WR beat me to the punch! :laugh:

MMC
12-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah not to mention I wouldnt want to get washed away with some Tsunami. Like I said.....almost perfect! :wink: