PDA

View Full Version : Russian Bots Attempt to Shut Down Political Forums

Conley
12-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Researchers from ESET, the renowned security solutions provider, discovered that a couple of Russian forums, on which political topics are debated, are under heavy attack, one of them barely managing to stay afloat.

Thousands of citizens are protesting these days on the streets of Russia’s cities as a result of the recent elections that took place. Many are blaming the current governing party for interfering in the elections to make sure they obtain the most votes.

As it would be expected in the 21st century, hacktivists and regular Internet users are stating their opinions on forums and social media networks, but it seems that cybercriminals who support the current regime want to silence them.

Superjedi.ru, a forum that has a section specially designed for political discussions, was detected by ESET as being under heavy fire from a botnet that relies on a piece of malware calledWin32/Flooder.Ramagedo.

“We are under DDOS-attack by unknown persons. We do everything to keep the forum working. Thank you for being with us!” reads a message on Superjedi.ru.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Botnets-Attempt-to-Silence-Russian-Political-Forums-240137.shtml (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Botnets-Attempt-to-Silence-Russian-Political-Forums-240137.shtml)

Guess they are not coming after us since we've had some threads complementary to Putin, like the one where we have photos of him looking like a badass. :laugh:

Seriously though, the protests against him are increasing and it looks like they're doing everything they can to stop it from spreading.

Mister D
12-26-2011, 02:15 PM
It's so blatant. Can you imagine if US forums came under government attack?

Yeah, this is a pretty Putin friendly forum. :grin: The Baidus might be a little wary of us though...

Pendragon
12-26-2011, 02:43 PM
The Russian forum designed especially for politics is named superjedi.ru ?

How very strange. It would have been an excellent forum for discussing the judgments of the Jedi Council.

Conley
12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
It's so blatant. Can you imagine if US forums came under government attack?

Yeah, this is a pretty Putin friendly forum. :grin: The Baidus might be a little wary of us though...

:laugh:

Yeah, we definitely need to watch ourselves with the Chinese!

Conley
12-26-2011, 03:15 PM
The Russian forum designed especially for politics is named superjedi.ru ?

How very strange. It would have been an excellent forum for discussing the judgments of the Jedi Council.

Pen does have a point...

Mister D
12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
:laugh: Well, we discuss a lot of crap here that has zero to do with politics. I would paste that into my address bar but I'm a loyal Putin man. :cool2:

Conley
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Curiosity got the better of me...it is a decent looking forum :laugh:

No Yoda anywhere though! :angry:

Mister D
12-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Curiosity got the better of me...it is a decent looking forum :laugh:

No Yoda anywhere though! :angry:

Now Putin's cyber goons will think we betrayed him! :angry: :laugh:

Conley
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Haha, well let them and the Baidus battle it out then!

MMC
12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Actually I think we have more to worry about with our own government messing with sites and looking for those Keywords. So what do the Russians call their Bots. Wait let me Guess. Putin on the Spitz. :laugh:

On another note Anonymous hacked into the Stratford Think Tank. A Million Dollars has been stolen and a list of members and their credit card infor has all been put out on front street.