PDA

View Full Version : Forget About Tolerance -- What's Needed Is A "Tolerant Tone"

Cigar
07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2013/130723-new-gop-strategy-forget-about-tolerance-whats-needed-is-a-tolerant-tone.jpg

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus assured social conservatives on Monday that the GOP was not going to embrace “tolerance” as part of its rebranding efforts.

“I don’t know if I’ve used the word ‘tolerance,’ I don’t really care for that word myself,” he told the Christian Broadcasting Network. “I don’t have a problem with it, I just think it has another meaning politically that can go the other direction.”

Priebus said Republicans would continue to oppose same-sex marriage and seek to ban abortion in the United States. He described both as “foundational issues,” but said Republicans needed to adopted a more tolerant tone.

“If you’re looking at the evidence, what you will see is a party that embraces life, a party that embraces marriage and a chairman that understands that there’s only one sovereign God and that we ultimately aren’t dependent on what happens in politics,” Priebus explained. “What ultimately matters in our lives is that we’re salt and light in the world and that we’re honoring God in the things that we do every day. I get that. I think our party gets that and there’s never been a movement away from that.”

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/22/gop-chairman-i-dont-really-care-for-the-word-tolerance/

:thumbsup20::smiley_ROFLMAO:

Cigar
07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Now EVEN REPUBLICANS Think Party Is Going The Wrong Way

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll finds that 52% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents think the GOP leadership is talking the party in the wrong direction while just 37% think it's headed in the right direction.

"That disaffection is apparent in another measure: Just 21% of Americans in this survey identify themselves as Republicans, matching the fewest since November 2009. GOP allegiance has dropped from an annual average of 31% in 2003 to annual averages of 23 or 24% the past five years straight."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/07/policy-divisions-challenge-obama-but-gop-battles-its-own-discontent/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/rofl.gif http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/cry.gif

Chris
07-23-2013, 12:50 PM
http://i.snag.gy/DUlT9.jpg

Common
07-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Now EVEN REPUBLICANS Think Party Is Going The Wrong Way

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll finds that 52% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents think the GOP leadership is talking the party in the wrong direction while just 37% think it's headed in the right direction.

"That disaffection is apparent in another measure: Just 21% of Americans in this survey identify themselves as Republicans, matching the fewest since November 2009. GOP allegiance has dropped from an annual average of 31% in 2003 to annual averages of 23 or 24% the past five years straight."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/07/policy-divisions-challenge-obama-but-gop-battles-its-own-discontent/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/rofl.gif http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/cry.gif

This I agree with you about. The handful of far right off the cliff whackers think what they think is what most americans do and they are DEAD wrong.
The far right has ATTACKED every aspect of america, except for the rich and corporations. EVERYTHING has to change, but the rich and corporations they need to be taken care of. If they think that crap is going unnoticed they are far dumber than they sound.

Chris
07-23-2013, 01:43 PM
This I agree with you about. The handful of far right off the cliff whackers think what they think is what most americans do and they are DEAD wrong.
The far right has ATTACKED every aspect of america, except for the rich and corporations. EVERYTHING has to change, but the rich and corporations they need to be taken care of. If they think that crap is going unnoticed they are far dumber than they sound.

Name names and provide examples.

It's in fact odd when you say conservatives advocate change, "EVERYTHING has to change". Buckley, one of the best examples of a conservative I can think of, said "A conservative is someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so, or to have much patience with those who so urge it." It's Progressives want change.

It seems to me these days it's Obama and Dems and libs who are for "but the rich and corporations they need to be taken care of".

Who's dumb?

Mainecoons
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Alif Qadr
07-23-2013, 02:42 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2013/130723-new-gop-strategy-forget-about-tolerance-whats-needed-is-a-tolerant-tone.jpg

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus assured social conservatives on Monday that the GOP was not going to embrace “tolerance” as part of its rebranding efforts.

“I don’t know if I’ve used the word ‘tolerance,’ I don’t really care for that word myself,” he told the Christian Broadcasting Network. “I don’t have a problem with it, I just think it has another meaning politically that can go the other direction.”

Priebus said Republicans would continue to oppose same-sex marriage and seek to ban abortion in the United States. He described both as “foundational issues,” but said Republicans needed to adopted a more tolerant tone.

“If you’re looking at the evidence, what you will see is a party that embraces life, a party that embraces marriage and a chairman that understands that there’s only one sovereign God and that we ultimately aren’t dependent on what happens in politics,” Priebus explained. “What ultimately matters in our lives is that we’re salt and light in the world and that we’re honoring God in the things that we do every day. I get that. I think our party gets that and there’s never been a movement away from that.”

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/22/gop-chairman-i-dont-really-care-for-the-word-tolerance/

:thumbsup20::smiley_ROFLMAO:

Tolerance? Tolerance is in deed the problem. Black people have been tolerant of every intrusion and affronts given by their White or Caucasian counterparts and at the same token have shown great intolerance towards other Blacks who have done the same or have been believed to have done the same.
It is a positive thing to not tolerate affronts to your persons and your affects but it is not a good thing to display hypocrisy over the same. Why am I saying this? I am posting this for the simple fact that for four hundred fifty-eight years, we as a whole have experienced the same injustices, affronts, hostilities and the like, do not all of you think that it is time to take a different approach than what has been taken? We have rioted, sat-in, marched, begged, pleaded, and remade ourselves for the sake of tolerance from them and for tolerance of them and it is time for a effective new approach that has a proven track record. When the Amish, Hasidic Jews and others were faced with inklings of what we have tolerated, they separated and built communities, economic ventures (some) and political structures for themselves, what is the matter with us that many REFUSE to do the same? A major component of the reluctance is fear. Another component is disbelief in oneself. Fear comes from thinking about failure, which comes from disbelief in oneself. The only way to overcome this is by taking proactive steps to overcome such impediments. i.e., DO FOR SELF.

Yes I sound like a broken record and I will continue to do so until we either take the appropriate steps, or come to the forefront and state that we (all of you) wish to remain in the abysmal condition and you will no longer complain about it or react when such incidents occur.

Cigar
07-24-2013, 06:35 AM

I've been saying the exact same thing everyday on this Forum ... just because Jessie, Al, Barack say something, and just they happen to be Black, doesn't mean I have no choice but to agree with them.

Cigar
07-24-2013, 06:37 AM

How many days are there in a Presidential Term? :grin:

zelmo1234
07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
You know Cigar looking at that right direction, wrong direction polling , for the RNC?????

Looks like the Dems would kill to see numbers that high??

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/right_direction_or_wrong_track

So should those Dems change anything????? I mean just because 70% of the nations does not believe that they are doing the right thing? What do they know!

Cigar
07-24-2013, 06:55 AM
You know Cigar looking at that right direction, wrong direction polling , for the RNC?????

Looks like the Dems would kill to see numbers that high??

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/right_direction_or_wrong_track

So should those Dems change anything????? I mean just because 70% of the nations does not believe that they are doing the right thing? What do they know!

Get rid of the idiots obstructing change :wink:, then you'll see progress :grin:

Chris
07-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Get rid of the idiots obstructing change :wink:, then you'll see progress :grin:

The problem with those who seek change is they know not what they want to change nor what they want to change it to. It boils down to vague words like hope, or change, or progress.

Cigar
07-24-2013, 07:08 AM
The problem with those who seek change is they know not what they want to change nor what they want to change it to. It boils down to vague words like hope, or change, or progress.

Speak for your self ...

Chris
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Speak for your self ...

But you're not speaking yourself but with those vague words.

Mainecoons
07-24-2013, 07:25 AM
We got change:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/05-2/Full%20vs%20Part%20Time%20May_1_0_0.jpg

zelmo1234
07-24-2013, 07:30 AM

IF you define progress as higher deficits?

You see Cigar the thing that Obama did that got him the most bang for the buck was the sequester? all fo the spending???? We have very, very little to show for it!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/2012/01/29/why_didn039t_the_800_billion_stimulus_work_272411. html

Chris
07-24-2013, 07:38 AM
We got change:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/05-2/Full%20vs%20Part%20Time%20May_1_0_0.jpg

Indeed, change happens. It's unplanned, undesigned. It's not progress.

Mainecoons
07-24-2013, 07:49 AM
The people who passed ObamaCare haven't a clue how the private economy works. Almost all of them, including Obama, are nothing but career government/political parasites. I truly believe they didn't foresee that their wonderful program would be a full time job killer.

nic34
07-24-2013, 11:07 AM
The people who passed ObamaCare haven't a clue how the private economy works. Almost all of them, including Obama, are nothing but career government/political parasites. I truly believe they didn't foresee that their wonderful program would be a full time job killer.

We got ACA because of the bought and paid for insurance industry politicians. Mostly conservatives.

Else we'd have single payer (or some form of it) by now..... ..........how's YOUR pre-existing conditions.....?

Chris
07-24-2013, 11:14 AM
We got ACA because of the bought and paid for insurance industry politicians. Mostly conservatives.

Else we'd have single payer (or some form of it) by now..... ..........how's YOUR pre-existing conditions.....?

The ACA was a conservative initiative?

Agree on the corny capitalism you describe. Why's a government that's supposed to serve and protect us screwing us by colluding with insurance companies?

nic34
07-24-2013, 11:19 AM
ACA was a bastardized take it or leave it compromise..... much of it based on RomneyCare......

Chris
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
ACA was a bastardized take it or leave it compromise..... much of it based on RomneyCare......

Bastardized by politicians who sold us out to insurance companies.

As PJ O'Rourke titled a book, "Don't Vote! It Only Encourages the Bastards."

metheron
07-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Tolerance is a sign of strength, not weakness. It is okay to have your beliefs and principles AND tolerate others who don't share them.

How do we embrace others that don't share the same beliefs that we do and bring us together for the common good? It seems we have forgotten how to do that in politics today.

Chris
07-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Tolerance is a sign of strength, not weakness. It is okay to have your beliefs and principles AND tolerate others who don't share them.

How do we embrace others that don't share the same beliefs that we do and bring us together for the common good? It seems we have forgotten how to do that in politics today.

Engage in discussion.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 12:16 AM

By "skooling" them in the Facts of Life.

^THAT^ would be my first step.

My second step would be to tell the terminally stupid to GO wherever they think the grass is greener,

and/or STFU.

metheron
07-25-2013, 12:57 AM
By "skooling" them in the Facts of Life.

^THAT^ would be my first step.

My second step would be to tell the terminally stupid to GO wherever they think the grass is greener,

and/or STFU.

Sounds fine if we were just to stick to facts. However, 'facts' have been so skewered by the government and media through the years I bet there are people that aren't even sure what a 'fact' actually is.

So we have to deal in reality and deal with outcomes and potential outcomes. At least that is how I see it. And talk about desirable vs. undesirable outcomes. and how we can best reach desirable outcomes with our separate beliefs.

And all that is great, but how do you even get those players to the table to begin with? With an open mind and a willingness to work together?

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:12 AM
How do really good teachers interest their students?

By "bringing them in," talking, giving respect, and laying out the actual facts.

What does any teacher do with students that can't seem to recognize their errors?

Marks them down for it.

If they continue in their ignorance, they have to be "let go."

One of the saddest facts of life is that you cannot cure stupid,

not with ANY amount of logic. <sigh>

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Another Truth?

You can't work with someone that is working AGAINST you, and all that IS logical.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:17 AM
One of the best examples of this is Old Yeller ~

your beloved family dog, that gets rabies.

You CAN'T allow them anywhere NEAR your children, eh?

You can't "cure" them.

The only thing you can do is put them down.

NOT that we should just kill folks that disagree with us/US,
but we can't allow them to TEACH our children to hate all that IS us/US ~

they have to go.

Because,

just like that rabid dog?

They WILL infect others ...

metheron
07-25-2013, 01:24 AM
But what if your not dealing with children? You are working with elected representatives of other states that are working for their constituents and you both have 5 years remaining on your term? Neither one is going to be 'let go'. One Senator is from a liberal region like California and another from a Conservative region like Arizona. Their constituents demand things that pit the two of them 'against' each other.

When you say that you can't work with someone that is against you it is not right or fair. Our system of government demands that you do. Only on the rare occasion is it 'you' they are against, generally speaking it is against your belief in how to run government they are against.

If you hojnestly believe that you can't work with someone that is against you then you must believe that our system of governance here has been doomed to failure from the start?

Liberals will then present their so-called facts and Conservatives will then present their so-called facts. Both sets of facts represent the same topic yet both reveal opposite 'factual' findings. What then? Because that is what where we are at.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:33 AM
We were given "instructions."

It's called our Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

If ANYONE is working against ^that?^

Let them go. They aren't worth your time, breath nor effort.

ALL of us/US was built upon a foundation,
and if you think that allowing someone to drill holes in it is "okay," or a "good thing?"

You haven't visited NC lately to see what a SHITslide actually does to ALL that it touches.

If their constituents are THAT unknowledgable?

Perhaps their efforts would be better employed in REDOING their school systems.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:34 AM
And, just for clarification :

It isn't against "me;"

IT'S AGAINST us/US.

metheron
07-25-2013, 01:38 AM
We were given "instructions."

It's called our Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

If ANYONE is working against ^that?^

Let them go. They aren't worth your time, breath nor effort.

ALL of us/US was built upon a foundation,
and if you think that allowing someone to drill holes in it is "okay," or a "good thing?"

You haven't visited NC lately to see what a SHITslide actually does to ALL that it touches.

If their constituents are THAT unknowledgable?

Perhaps their efforts would be better employed in REDOING their school systems.

So do you think everyone in DC deserves to be let go? Everyone who supported Obamacare, or the Patriot Act or these UnConstitutional wars, etc......that pretty much covers everyone don't it?

Who would replace them?

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Actual CITIZENS who aren't lawyers ~

folks that LIVE IT, and know what our lives are actually like.

And, yes. Let them all go, withOUT any retirement, golden parachutes, and benies of ANY kind.

In fact, they should, for the most part, be prosecuted, and put into prison,
for the TREASONs that they have perpetrated/expounded.

I have no sympathy for anyone that seeks to USE us/US, to their own ends.

metheron
07-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Actual CITIZENS who aren't lawyers ~

folks that LIVE IT, and know what our lives are actually like.

And, yes. Let them all go, withOUT any retirement, golden parachutes, and benies of ANY kind.

In fact, they should, for the most part, be prosecuted, and put into prison,
for the TREASONs that they have perpetrated/expounded.

I have no sympathy for anyone that seeks to USE us/US, to their own ends.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, although I put just as much blame on voters that continuously re-elect them and put them back into office. Walk the street, look to your left and right, most of those folks are working against the Constitution is well.

When an elected offical openly support acts that violate the Constitution and then are re-elected, the onus is no longer on them. They are then given the implied permission to continue working against the Constitution. That falls back to the voters.

Do you think voters that continue to allow this should also be jailed for treason?

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 01:57 AM
HELL, no!
(I'm not willing to support them, in ANY way, shape nor form! lol )

I think those VOTERS should go to wherever they think the grass is greener.

Let them SEE what life is like, under the "rulez" that they so want.

BUT ~

once gone?

NEVAH coming back. We don't need "rabies," here.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 02:00 AM
I truly believe that the folks PAYING the bills should have the last word, and the "say."

Forget voter registration ~ show your tax return, from last year, and the monies you PAID IN,

and,

welcome to voting for WHERE that money goes.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Taxpayers vote ~ the rest of the turds float.

metheron
07-25-2013, 02:05 AM
I truly believe that the folks PAYING the bills should have the last word, and the "say."

Forget voter registration ~ show your tax return, from last year, and the monies you PAID IN,

and,

welcome to voting for WHERE that money goes.

The folks 'paying the bills' are the ones that have elected all these people into office and continue to fund and re-elect them. You know, the treasonous ones that should be jailed.

I support voter ID. I support the state providing those ID's to those that can't afford it. I also support a repeal of Citizens United. Get corporate money out of politics and it will help to clean up DC and put our country on a better path.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 02:19 AM
If you believe your first sentence?

Why aren't YOU looking for greener pastures? (that isn't meant to be snarky ~ it's a real question)

I don't support TAKERS getting to say How Much they're allowed to STEAL from the actual workers.

If they want to be beggars? Let them go out and BEG for what they need.

Bet you haven't given $100 to beggars since Jan,
and when was the last time you opened your home to a parolee or someone that was homeless?

Yeah.

You're an IDIOT if you think, for ONE SECOND, that corporations actually PAY TAXES! :rofl:

Accounting 101 :

The Cost Of Doing Business and How To PASS THROUGH Any Tax Liabilities to the Consumer.

Companies don't "pay taxes." EVER.

They just ADD that little Cost Of Doing Business to the charges for their products.

Cripes.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Oh, yeah. And those additional charges for their products?

INSTEAD of going to their WORKERS,

go to the beggars that don't have the "work ethic" to actually get out there and BEG.

It's SO much easier to just sit on your lazy ass and COLLECT your "winnings."

metheron
07-25-2013, 03:21 AM
If you believe your first sentence?

Why aren't YOU looking for greener pastures? (that isn't meant to be snarky ~ it's a real question)

I don't support TAKERS getting to say How Much they're allowed to STEAL from the actual workers.

If they want to be beggars? Let them go out and BEG for what they need.

Bet you haven't given $100 to beggars since Jan,
and when was the last time you opened your home to a parolee or someone that was homeless?

Yeah.

You're an IDIOT if you think, for ONE SECOND, that corporations actually PAY TAXES! :rofl:

Accounting 101 :

The Cost Of Doing Business and How To PASS THROUGH Any Tax Liabilities to the Consumer.

Companies don't "pay taxes." EVER.

They just ADD that little Cost Of Doing Business to the charges for their products.

Cripes.

When did this become about me? I am here because regardless of its inadequacies I still believe this is the best country on earth.

What did I say about corporations paying taxes? I alluded to their contributions to our representatives in DC and their paying for elections and the favors that come with that. I wasn't aware of a discussion about taxes.

Takers don't steal, they are given that money, probably by the same people that you have elected into office IF you vote. Probably people you have re-elected. I guess you could call them an accessory.

See, imo, you want to blame the poeple at the top, get rid of them and then put another crop of people in that are going to do the exact same thing. Because if you do an analysis of the real problem you will see that in large part it is at the voter level. Voters are ignorant. We keep putting the same poeple back in. We fight for 'our side' to win even when they should be wrong. We are getting from our politicians exactly what we deserve . We are lazy and uneducated and weirdly enough proud of that. WE need to change. The common citizen needs to wisen up before it is too late.

fyrenza
07-25-2013, 04:27 AM
It became "about me" the moment it messed with my life, and my work, and my money, and my concerns.

If none of this is about us/US? YOU, included?

Why would you even care?

I didn't elect these robbers ~
I actually READ UP on the candidates,
and if NO suitable representative was running for office?

I WROTE IN MY VOTE ~ for me! lol

I don't "give money" to these asshats.
For ANY election, the donated monies need to be DIVIDED UP,
fairly, amongst ALL of the candidates, imho.
The fact that someone has tons of money should make no difference in how the campaigns go,
and who gets more air time.

Let folks speak, FREELY ~
Free Speech was never about a word ~
it was ALWAYS about concepts and ideas.

These asshats wouldn't need REAL Americans to write their speeches,
nor would they depend upon just READING some "script,"

IF THEY FELT WHAT ALL OF us/US DO.

They'd be able to just SAY IT.

I don't want MOAR of ss/dd ~

I DO want some hope, and changes from what we've become,
because, if our pols are any indication,
we've become a nation of predators,
that will USE anyone to get what WE want,
regardless of any consequences to us/US.

Mainecoons
07-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Yes, the crony capitalism goes right along with all the money Obama has shoveled to the one percent.

Gosh, I didn't realize that most of those Democrats were conservatives, Nic, since the bill was passed WITHOUT A SINGLE REPUBLICAN VOTE.

Double DOOH!