PDA

View Full Version : The Rich Are Not Like the Rest Of Us…

Taxcutter
07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
…thus spracht Fitzgerald in the opening lines of “The Great Gatsby.”

Rather than rehash that story, this link finds twenty ways the rich vary from the poor.

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day

No. 11 bespeaks self-discipline.
Nos 13 and 14: GIGO.
No. 17 speaks to intergenerational success and failure.

None of this stuff is particularly new. Henry Ford made a similar list a century ago and Dale Carnegie codified such habits in the late 1920s.

And they still work.

jillian
07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
'he was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple'

-- gov. ann richards of texas on george w bush

jillian
07-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Notwithstanding the high likelihood that the numbers in the rightwing blogosphere are made up, let's go point by point

They also have HELP... help with child care... help with housework... help with cooking... help with everything, including tax exemptions for the money they can shelter...

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

junk calories are cheaper than lean fruits, vegetables and protein

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

poor people focus on feeding their kids and getting medical care... if they can

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically 4 days a week. 23% of poor do this.

people with money can afford to go to the gym and pay personal trainers... join golf clubs, etc

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% for poor people.

people with money can AFFORD audio books

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% for poor.

what should be on their to-do list? try to get food to eat?

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read 2 or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% for poor.

reading can be a priority when everything else in your life is covered... that said, programs like head start help in that regard... but the right hates anything that helps

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% for poor.

again, if your priority is to keep a roof over your head and get food and medical care for your family, helping other people isn't quite at the top of your list...

8. 80% of wealthy make hbd calls vs. 11% of poor

what's an hbd call?

9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% for poor

again, what goals should you have when you might lose your home tomorrow?

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs 2% for poor.

i don't believe that number... it seems made up particularly when a lot of poor people go to school and are working poor

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% for poor.

people don't try to beat the bejeezus out of you when you have money...

and if someone poor tells their boss 'what's on their mind' they get fired. capice?

so that's kind of a bizarre criteria

12. 79% of wealthy network 5 hours or more each month vs. 16% for poor.

rich people don't "network" with poor people... they "network" with other rich people. so what on earth are you talking about?

13. 67% of wealthy watch 1 hour or less of TV. every day vs. 23% for poor

wealthy people have a lot more things available to do with their leisure time

14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% for poor.

ok... and?

15. 44% of wealthy wake up 3 hours before work starts vs.3% for poor.

that's because they're going to the gym and commuting to work... again, and?

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% for poor.

you first have to be taught 'good daily success habits' before you can teach them

17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% for poor.

yeah, it's easy to say that when daddy sends you to harvard.... and to study abroad ...

18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% for poor.

see above

86% of wealthy believe in life-long educational self-improvement vs. 5% for poor.

when you are poor, your successful role models are not necessarily people who are educated... and when you're wealthy you can afford 'life-long educational self-improvement'.

what a screwed up list that simply has no clue what people without money go through.

Peter1469
07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Notwithstanding the high likelihood that the numbers in the rightwing blogosphere are made up, let's go point by point

They also have HELP... help with child care... help with housework... help with cooking... help with everything, including tax exemptions for the money they can shelter...

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

people with money can afford to go to the gym and pay personal trainers... join golf clubs, etc

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% for poor people.

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% for poor.

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read 2 or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% for poor.

reading can be a priority when everything else in your life is covered... that said, programs like head start help in that regard... but the right hates anything that helps

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% for poor.

again, if your priority is to keep a roof over your head and get food and medical care for your family, helping other people isn't quite at the top of your list...

what's an hbd call?

again, what goals should you have when you might lose your home tomorrow?

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs 2% for poor.

i don't believe that number... it seems made up particularly when a lot of poor people go to school and are working poor

and if someone poor tells their boss 'what's on their mind' they get fired. capice?

rich people don't "network" with poor people... they "network" with other rich people. so what on earth are you talking about?

ok... and?

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% for poor.

you first have to be taught 'good daily success habits' before you can teach them

yeah, it's easy to say that when daddy sends you to harvard.... and to study abroad ...

see above

86% of wealthy believe in life-long educational self-improvement vs. 5% for poor.

when you are poor, your successful role models are not necessarily people who are educated... and when you're wealthy you can afford 'life-long educational self-improvement'.

what a screwed up list that simply has no clue what people without money go through.

The question is what is the solution? The devil is in the details.

Mainecoons
07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Sorry Jillian, but most of your answers look like your usual cadre of made up facts and all of them look like you have a serious class hatred problem. Starting with #1.

Who taught you to hate people who are better off/more successful than you? Just curious.

patrickt
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
No, the rich aren't like the rest of us. Neither are the deadbeats on the dole. I suppose all of us are different in various ways from other people. Liberals definitely aren't like the rest of us. Most of us have a sense of responsibility, a sense of shame, a sense of decency, a sense of caring for others.

jillian
07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Sorry Jillian, but most of your answers look like your usual cadre of made up facts and all of them look like you have a serious class hatred problem. Starting with #1.

Who taught you to hate people who are better off/more successful than you? Just curious.

it would be really nice if just once you didn't troll and spout lunacy.......

but you aren't really capable of actual discussion. we understand.

and ... ummmm... once again, i'm just guessing... but i'm probably more privileged than most on this board.

the difference is i don't hate people who DON'T do as well as I do.

unlike rightwingnuts who have nothing and vote against their own self-interest.

my points stand. now bite me....

nic34
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Yes jill, why is it that folks seem so lazy?

Why, our ancestors came here with nothing more than the shirts on their back, but in no time they created prosperous cotton and tobacco industries!

http://www.fofweb.com/Electronic_Images/ImageGallery/aehsa028.jpg

jillian
07-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Yes jill, why is it that folks seem so lazy?

Why, our ancestors came here with nothing more than the shirts on their back, but in no time they created prosperous cotton and tobacco industries!

http://www.fofweb.com/Electronic_Images/ImageGallery/aehsa028.jpg

there is that...

but to be fair, my family didn't get here til after 1910....

Mainecoons
07-25-2013, 03:53 PM

and ... ummmm... once again, i'm just guessing... but i'm probably more privileged than most on this board.

Goodness, looks like I hit a little too close to home. Now tell us, why you hate the "filthy rich" and where did you learn to be such a class hater? Did they teach you that when you were getting "educated" while neglecting to teach you how to read and write properly?

:rofl:

patrickt
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Spouting rhetoric from the class war handbook scarcely qualifies as "a discussion" and more than spouting racist nonsense from the race war handbook qualifies as "a discussion".

zelmo1234
07-25-2013, 09:42 PM

I disagree! They are excuses! And that is what the left does best!

Chloe
07-25-2013, 09:52 PM
No, the rich aren't like the rest of us. Neither are the deadbeats on the dole. I suppose all of us are different in various ways from other people. Liberals definitely aren't like the rest of us. Most of us have a sense of responsibility, a sense of shame, a sense of decency, a sense of caring for others.

I think that can easily go both ways. What some people see as being "caring" in my opinion isn't very caring, and what some people see as having a sense of responsibility can actually be quite irresponsible. There are plenty of caring liberals and conservatives and plenty of uncaring liberals and conservatives. One group does not have a hold on caring, decency, and responsibility. Most of the fighting and disagreement just comes from how to help the people who need it in my opinion.

zelmo1234
07-25-2013, 10:08 PM

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% for poor
what's an hbd call?
again, what goals should you have when you might lose your home tomorrow
i don't believe that number... it seems made up particularly when a lot of poor people go to school and are working poo
ok... and?
see above

I though I would look at your excuse list and see if we can help you through them

#1 The poor are not concentrated in the cities and urban renewal does help with better foods, the schools provide breakfast lunch and sometimes dinner for kids during the school year. For those that wish, they could either garden or by the raw materials and eat much better if they chose too, Junk food is easy and fact!

#2 Feeding your kids better foods is a goal! And they still eat the junk food!

#3 Walking and running are free if you live in a tuff area you can run in place or stairs ect! this is a total excuse!

#4 Library Cards are free and the audio books are free too! Excuse!

#5 Yes and after food housing and transportation, clothing, ect The poor are wandering generalities, not meaningful specifics!

#6 Again Books are free from the library , reading is fundamental, and Head start is a great program, But cutting the rate of increase is not cutting out these programs

#7 volunteering at a food bank or shelter might get a few free meals for the children and allow you to make better food choices Helping people is free!

#8 I don't know either?

#9 The goal of what do I have to do to not loose my home tomorrow!

#10 Readers are leaders. Look at the star witness against Zimmerman She could not read, and that is going,

#11 shooting off your mouth will get you fired or not promoted, thinkers asses a situation and then take the correct and calm behavior

#12 Networking with Mrs Josnson that is getting a new roof from the stimulus program might get you and job helping the roofer pick up the nails from the old roof, and if you work hard it could be your ticket to a better job

#13 TV time is time to work on exercise and personal development, use that for TV and you are holding yourself back

#14 Same as above!

#15 reading situp and push ups are free!

#16 agreed maybe the reading can help

#17 #18 Yes the poor believe that it is others that have held them back and anyone that make it is lucky, The Wealthy know that it is hard work and execution of a plan!

#19 Yes the wealthy are driven that is why the are wealthy! Stop making excuses and see what happens

Common
07-25-2013, 10:15 PM

There ya go, the question isnt why do the less privledged hate the privledged, its why do they hate everyone thats not rich. I especially find the ones that are third generation born with a platinum spoon in their ass acting like they worked so hard for what they got. Like the 6 waltons and the koch brothers especially dispicable.
It "SEEMS" and this is my opinion the rich that are second and third etc generation are the most callous and cocky, the new Rich like the Facebook kid and others like them are more real and down to earth.
The best example is the Koch brothers, daddy made all their money and left an empire all in place for them. Koch Industries was their dadas hard work not theirs and the one piece of garbage brother says that 34,000 is more than enough for the middleclass to the earn the average wage is 43, 000. The koch brothers are the type of people behind the teaparty.

Private Pickle
07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I think that can easily go both ways...

That's an attribute! Any guy will be lucky!