PDA

View Full Version : Wow; How Stupid is Fox News on Religion ... ?

Cigar
07-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm sure this has to be the most embarrassing Interview FOX News has Ever Done? :smiley_ROFLMAO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY92TV4_Wc0&feature=player_embedded

Fox News Anchor Totally Outmatched By Religious Scholar Defending His Book On Jesus

A rather awkward exchange occurred on Fox News' "Spirited Debate" program Friday, with religion correspondent Lauren Green somewhat incredulous that Muslim scholar Reza Aslan could write a book about Jesus Christ.

Aslan's book, "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth (http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store/dp/B00BRUQ7ZY)," pieces together gospel and many historical sources to paint a picture of Jesus and the time in which he lived.

"You're a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?" Green asks at the beginning of the interview.
"Well, to be clear, I am a scholar of religions with four degrees, including one in the New Testament, and fluency in biblical Greek, who has been studying the origins of Christianity for two decades," Aslan says, "who also just happens to be a Muslim."

This wouldn't be the only time Aslan had to remind the host he was a religious scholar and an academic. As a professor of religion, Aslan says, "that's what I do for a living, actually."

Later in the interview, Green likens his writing on the topic to having a "Democrat write a book about why Reagan wasn't a good Republican. That just doesn't work."

"It would be like a Democrat with a Ph.D. in Reagan who has been studying his life and history for two decades writing a book about Reagan," responds Aslan.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Fox-News-Anchor-Totally-Outmatched-By-Religious-4692199.php

Chris
07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Well it seems dumb, the interviewer employing ad hom and the interviewee employing appeal to authority, but nothing was actually said about the book.

Cigar
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Well it seems dumb, the interviewer employing ad hom and the interviewee employing appeal to authority, but nothing was actually said about the book.

I can't count how many time he tried saying ... Try reading it before forming a misinformation campaign :grin:

Chris
07-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I can't count how many time he tried saying ... Try reading it before forming a misinformation campaign :grin:

But he did little to explain either. He seemed to enjoy the verbal jousting. Some people are like that.

Have you read the book? Just asking, neither have I.

I have a few articles on it, might post something if it's interesting.

Cigar
07-29-2013, 01:41 PM
But he did little to explain either. He seemed to enjoy the verbal jousting. Some people are like that.

Have you read the book? Just asking, neither have I.

I have a few articles on it, might post something if it's interesting.

He was guest on Bill Maher where he explained the boo, himself and why he wrote the book.

jillian
07-29-2013, 01:45 PM

yes, because we all know that his expertise in comparative religion doesn't give him any superior knowledge, right chris?

and the interviewer didn't use 'ad homs'. she just kept avoiding the subject and speaking about irrelevant nonsense.

even my 15 year old said she was embarrassing.

Cigar
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
yes, because we all know that his expertise in comparative religion doesn't give him any superior knowledge, right chris?

and the interviewer didn't use 'ad homs'. she just kept avoiding the subject and speaking about irrelevant nonsense.

Well you know how Fox Noise feels about Academics :laugh:

Chris
07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
He was guest on Bill Maher where he explained the boo, himself and why he wrote the book.

What'd he say, I'm interested, trying to decide whether purchase it or not.

Chris
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM

In the interview he merely appealed to authority. Agree on the interviewer, said so myself, so why you telling me what i already said?

Chris
07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
14 things you need to know about the new book Zealot (http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/14-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-book-zealot/#ixzz2aSp39xpw) is a criticism that seems based largely on what the author managed to say in the interview, such as he believes Jesus was crucified, denies virgin birth, and crucifixion is how Roman then disposed of insurrectionists and others who disturbed the social order--my paraphrase.

I do recall from the video his saying the the two crucified with Jesus were not thieves, the Greek word used in the Bible means bandit.

It was an awful interview but instead of merely bashing FNC for gits and shiggles, we might be able to salvage a useful and interesting discussion from it.