PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Speech.....

MMC
07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Freedom of speech.....
What does it mean to you? Besides be your right. Do you actully speak with absolute Freedom?
Do you have such a freedom? Has man ever has such right? Lets go with this for now.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Freedom of expression, public criticism and lobby.

MMC
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
But do you think it can be expressed freely at any time. Durring medieval times. To Curse was not just about profanity. It included crticism and joking around, mocking, and putting a pox on one. These things were watched out for. Due to who and what was around. Church, Warriors, Aristocrat, and Nobility. Should it be?

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
But do you think it can be expressed freely at any time. Durring medieval times. To Curse was not just about profanity. It included crticism and joking around, mocking, and putting a pox on one. These things were watched out for. Due to who and what was around. Church, Warriors, Aristocrat, and Nobility. Should it be?

For one thing, we don't live in medieval times like muslim extrimists.

I'm not convinced that we live in a true democracy, however conceptually I believe in the power of the people. In this pseudo-democracy, freedom of speech is the most important aspect of individual rights, expression that exists. Burn the flag, burn korans, make cartoons of Mohammad. That right must be defended with vigor because it's what freedom we have as a western society.

MMC
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Oh I would agree with the right to be defended. But everyday life can put one into some postions where they cannot just speak their mind.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 09:17 PM

I'm not convinced that we live in a true democracy, however conceptually I believe in the power of the people. In this pseudo-democracy, freedom of speech is the most important aspect of individual rights, expression that exists. Burn the flag, burn korans, make cartoons of Mohammad. That right must be defended with vigor because it's what freedom we have as a western society.

Damn straight, Cap't.

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM

I agree with that, I just wish Muslim extremists were limited to the middle ages and not present day. It's well and good to say people should have the right to draw Mohammed, but it sure becomes a pain in the ass really quick when an angry mob is trying to behead you. We have freedoms but we must know that exercising those freedoms may still incur a great cost. Same thing as if you went down to the deep South and burned a bunch of Bibles. I'm guessing you'd get your ass kicked.

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Or if you show up in South Central dressed like the KKK.

Conley
07-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Yea, that's a better example than mine :D

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 10:58 PM

I'd like to see a white-supremacist Nazi Jew who is black. That would be amazing. Then we'd realize just how contradictory and controversial a person can really be, all by themselves.

Conley
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM

I'd like to see a white-supremacist Nazi Jew who is black. That would be amazing. Then we'd realize just how contradictory and controversial a person can really be, all by themselves.

there was one on chapelle show...clayton bixby or something?

MMC
07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Neighborhoods with gang-bangers is a good place to start. People cannot just walk around and say whatever out their mouths. you might say it.....but it will be the last thing you say. Or what if you are with loved ones. A Woman, Children, hell even a pet. dailey situations dictate whether you can attempt your Freedom of Speech.

Judge's Court Rooms, City Hall, a Police Station, Hospital. All require some code of conduct. which limit or prevent your right being invoked. Does it not? :-\