PDA

View Full Version : Govt. pays millions in benefits to dead farmers

Professor Peabody
07-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Govt. pays millions in benefits to dead farmers

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times Monday, July 29, 2013

The federal government is still paying out millions of dollars a year in subsidies to dead farmers, according to a new government audit released Monday that said the Agriculture Department doesn’t do routine checks required to make sure it is paying benefits to the right people.

The Government Accountability Office said that from 2008 to 2012 one agency, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, made $10.6 million payments on behalf of more than 1,100 people who’d been dead at least a year. Another branch, the Risk Management Agency, paid out $22 million to more than 3,400 policyholders who’d been dead at least two years.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/29/govt-pays-millions-benefits-dead-farmers/

To their credit they have brought the numbers down from the billions down to the millions $32.6 million. Considering Public Service workers are now making more than the private sector this is simply unacceptable. The easiest way to fix a lot of the waste, fraud and abuse in Government is to make the agencies and department managers responsible. If their department or agency hands out improper payments, they get the Donald Trump "YOU'RE FIRED!"

I think a lot wrong with our Government is the culture of irresponsibility that has permeated it. In private industry, if you were in charge of a division of a company that improperly handed out $10.6 million or $22 million dollars, how long do you think they would have a job? Not more than a few minutes after it was found out. Not so with our government. In private industry make that kind of mistake "YOU'RE FIRED", in Government it's "Oh WELL". That Oh well is with other peoples money, money as a government employee they have a fiduciary duty to handle properly, there is no "oh well" in handle properly.

If Government is ever to again gain the respect of the people they will need to do what Obama promised but failed miserably to deliver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72g7qmeP1dE

Where are the "you're fired's" for wasting billions Mr. President? Where are the "you're fired's" for Benghazi costing 4 American's lives Mr. President? Where are the "you're fired's" for 300 dead Mexican citizens and 2 American Law Enforcement Agents Mr. President? You pontificated very well about transparency being the "Touchstone" of your administration, your track record has shown the LACK of it will be the headstone of your legacy as President.

jillian
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
1. i don't believe public service workers make more than workers in the private sector. i know in my field they don't.
2. if they do, maybe the problem is stagnation of private wages rather than overpayment of government workers.
3. i'm not sure what your gripe is...

but nice pic of hillary. speaks volumes.

pragmatic
07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
How can the dead farmer sign the government check when it arrives??

Something sounds fishy here.....

roadmaster
07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Something sounds fishy here..... I was thinking the same thing. Most likely they are pocketing the money and saying they sent it.

Professor Peabody
07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Something sounds fishy here.....

Direct Deposit.

patrickt
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
1. i don't believe public service workers make more than workers in the private sector. i know in my field they don't.
2. if they do, maybe the problem is stagnation of private wages rather than overpayment of government workers.

Have you ever heard of Google. You can find articles from Mother Jones, Washington Post, and New York Times. I realize facts can be awfully inconvenient but you can, as you usually do, ignore them anyway.

Your post speaks volumes and it isn't pretty.

Professor Peabody
07-30-2013, 05:27 PM

I don't mind paying taxes as long as the Government doesn't waste the money carelessly. The IRS/Treasury handed out $4.2 billion dollars in child tax credits to people who's kids aren't even in the United States.

patrickt
07-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey, if dead farmers can vote why shouldn't they get checks. Don't forget the Pigford fraud or the bogus SSI checks or the Income Tax return frauds or the millions on SSI who are capable of working.

And, just think, the folks responsible for this are the same folks that the leftists want running absolutely everything.

roadmaster
07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't mind paying taxes as long as the Government doesn't waste the money carelessly. The IRS/Treasury handed out $4.2 billion dollars in child tax credits to people who's kids aren't even in the United States. Exactly and they knew it also. Only when the news brought it out did they seem to care. It's still going on.

metheron
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I think a lot wrong with our Government is the culture of irresponsibility that has permeated it. In private industry, if you were in charge of a division of a company that improperly handed out $10.6 million or $22 million dollars, how long do you think they would have a job? Not more than a few minutes after it was found out. Not so with our government. In private industry make that kind of mistake "YOU'RE FIRED", in Government it's "Oh WELL". That Oh well is with other peoples money, money as a government employee they have a fiduciary duty to handle properly, there is no "oh well" in handle properly.

I agree, there needs to be more accountability. But that is the difference between the public and private sector. In the private sector if someone loses money it is their employers money they are losing so they are held accountable. In the public sector who's money are they losing? Not anyones that they are accountable to? So nothing happens.

And therein lies a part of the problem. The voting sector needs to demand that accountability.

pragmatic
07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Direct Deposit.

Dang modern technology....

Professor Peabody
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Most likely they are pocketing the money and saying they sent it.

WOW! Thanks I hadn't thought of a money laundering operation.

jillian
07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
WOW! Thanks I hadn't thought of a money laundering operation.

you didn't think of it because it's baseless fantasy.

Professor Peabody
07-30-2013, 06:53 PM
you didn't think of it because it's baseless fantasy.

The bottom line is our Government is handing out OUR (yes that's both of us) needlessly. That doesn't bother you?

lynn
07-30-2013, 07:34 PM
It can only be an inside job and it is unbelievable that they cannot tract this payments in todays tech world

Venus
07-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Do you know how the benefits and retirement compare?

Venus
07-31-2013, 09:41 AM
I'll answer the question for you Jillian.

Typically the people who work in the public sector work for their benefits and retirement. Not to say that their wages are terrible but the benefits and retirement bennies are top notch. The private sector can't compete.