PDA

View Full Version : Hit the beach today

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The Atlantic coast is about a 2.5 hour drive from us so we hit that beach today. Kid had a blast, couldn't keep him out of the water - which was freezing.

He was digging in the sand and dug up a couple of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Nereis_virens.jpg/800px-Nereis_virens.jpg

Scared the fuck out of me, but we googled it when we got back and it's a common sand worm harvested for bait.

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:35 PM
how big are the bastards? that one looks like it has two heads

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
He dug up 3, two of them were probably 6 or 7 inches long.

He kept grabbing them and asking me if they bite. I said "you'll find out".

The kids next to us caught an eel, that was about a foot and a half long. Funny how the coasts are so different, you don't see this shit in NC.

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:41 PM

The kids next to us caught an eel, that was about a foot and a half long. Funny how the coasts are so different, you don't see this shit in NC.

:D that's some hands off parenting...some of those eels at least fresh water will mess ya right up

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM

:D that's some hands off parenting...some of those eels at least fresh water will mess ya right up

People fish for eels up here for food. I might try it when I get around to it. They nail them near confluences where fresh water meets salt/brackish water.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM

People fish for eels up here for food. I might try it when I get around to it. They nail them near confluences where fresh water meets salt/brackish water.

Eels are popular in some parts. Seems kind of gross to me but so did octopus until I tasted it.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Eels are popular in some parts. Seems kind of gross to me but so did octopus until I tasted it.

I've had eel sushi. Just like any other sushi, it's not bad as long as the texture isn't crunch/slimy/chewy. I'm a texture guy and if texture is off, fuck it - I'm not eating it.

The local fishing guy who runs an ad in the paper fished for eels a couple weeks ago, had some recipes for cooking them. He said they're not that good. I'll try it though, once at least.

Not many fish I don't like. Carp is one of them. Greasy, stringy - blech. Fucking shit eating fish. Catfish is great, I eat it a couple times a month.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, texture neans a lot to me too. It's why I don't eat fruit, actually.

Interesting that while you don't like carp you love catfish. Aren't they both bottom feeders?

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 08:35 PM

Interesting that while you don't like carp you love catfish. Aren't they both bottom feeders?

Yes they are, which is why I brought them up.

Catfish is fatty, although if you grill or cook them for a long time the fat burns off.

I could never cook a carp to the point that it was good to me.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Yes they are, which is why I brought them up.

Catfish is fatty, although if you grill or cook them for a long time the fat burns off.

I could never cook a carp to the point that it was good to me.

I haven't tried catfish in eons. Seriously, it must have been 20 years ago when I last tasted it. So if I venture out and get me some catfish your recommendation is to cook it well? I prefer my meat well anyway.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Here's the deal with catfish, you have to like spicy.

I grill mine, straight on the grill. It holds up well and you can't overcook it as far as I'm concerned.

Get some cajun seasoning (or old bay works well) and coat it like you're breading it. Grill it until it's almost burned.

And enjoy. It's great.

If you don't have a grill, get an iron skillet (or whatever if you don't have an iron skillet) and pan fry it, same way. High heat. Problem with pan frying it with all that spice is that you'll gas yourself out of the house.

Try it and you'll know where I'm going with this.

Conley
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
eel sushi is good, but the sushi i've had really is no comparison to other country style eel

blackened catfish is good, no doubt

where do you get yours from cap'n?

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
eel sushi is good, but the sushi i've had really is no comparison to other country style eel

blackened catfish is good, no doubt

where do you get yours from cap'n?

Grocery store, farm raised.

On sale when I get it.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Here's the deal with catfish, you have to like spicy.

I grill mine, straight on the grill. It holds up well and you can't overcook it as far as I'm concerned.

Get some cajun seasoning (or old bay works well) and coat it like you're breading it. Grill it until it's almost burned.

And enjoy. It's great.

If you don't have a grill, get an iron skillet (or whatever if you don't have an iron skillet) and pan fry it, same way. High heat. Problem with pan frying it with all that spice is that you'll gas yourself out of the house.

Try it and you'll know where I'm going with this.

I'm going to. That sounds good. I'm what you might call a "chili head" so spicy is my game. :)

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll have to ask my brother how he likes the blackened catfish in LA. I know that's a popular Cajun dish. Never thought I'd get a hankering for catfish but I've got one now...

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's that worm

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/IMAG0015.jpg

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I'll have to ask my brother how he likes the blackened catfish in LA. I know that's a popular Cajun dish. Never thought I'd get a hankering for catfish but I've got one now...

Yeah, try it. Just remember - overcooking is better than undercooking.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 09:03 PM

The thought of under cooking any piece of meat turns my stomach except n the case of a very lean steak. I can deal with that. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll get some nice fresh corn to go with it.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:12 PM

The thought of under cooking any piece of meat turns my stomach except n the case of a very lean steak. I can deal with that. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll get some nice fresh corn to go with it.

Corn, yeah. That will keep the next morning's shit interesting.

I like my fish overcooked, but my beef bloody. Not fleshy but bloody.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Corn, yeah. That will keep the next morning's shit interesting.

I like my fish overcooked, but my beef bloody. Not fleshy but bloody.

Seems to match the catfish. Lil' corn and catfish. I'll feel southern for a while.

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
yep... i like the corn on the cob with lots of salt and butter

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I've sworn off butter, I take my cob corn straight up.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Try a good chili powder like McCormick's instead of salt sometime. It's great.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm on a hook with this garlic dry spice. I don't remember who makes it, it's dried garlic and other stuff - it's great.

I grill a lot of burgers, I just mix a whole bottle of this stuff right into the meat, nothing else. It's fucking fantastic. Same with zuchini (sp?), I just coat it and grill it. Burn it up a bit and it's great.

I might try that chili powder next corn batch tho.

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:27 PM

yeah i use a lot of different seasoning...i've been using this seasoned salt stuff, not sure what's in it, next time i walk past the kitchen i'll bring it over here. i don't have high blood pressure any more so i eat all the salt i want. sweat it out.

Captain why no butter? health reasons?

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM

I'm on a hook with this garlic dry spice. I don't remember who makes it, it's dried garlic and other stuff - it's great.

I grill a lot of burgers, I just mix a whole bottle of this stuff right into the meat, nothing else. It's fucking fantastic. Same with zuchini (sp?), I just coat it and grill it. Burn it up a bit and it's great.

I might try that chili powder next corn batch tho.

yeah i made burgers today with Stubbs, oregano, that seasoned salt i was talking about and some great chili powder from San Antonio

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM

yeah i use a lot of different seasoning...i've been using this seasoned salt stuff, not sure what's in it, next time i walk past the kitchen i'll bring it over here. i don't have high blood pressure any more so i eat all the salt i want. sweat it out.

Captain why no butter? health reasons?

Not really, I just haven't been eating it on stuff like corn much. I like the taste of corn by itself.

Same with popcorn, no butter. I like popcorn. My wife has been buying really, REALLY good bread from a bakery and I've been eating it with butter lately, but that's about it.

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
The Atlantic coast is about a 2.5 hour drive from us so we hit that beach today. Kid had a blast, couldn't keep him out of the water - which was freezing.

He was digging in the sand and dug up a couple of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Nereis_virens.jpg/800px-Nereis_virens.jpg

Scared the fuck out of me, but we googled it when we got back and it's a common sand worm harvested for bait.

Sand worms. I hate sand worms.

http://batatatransgenica.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sand_worm.jpg