PDA

View Full Version : Krugman: 'The madness of the GOP is the central issue of our time'

Cigar
08-02-2013, 10:47 AM
:rollseyes:

... Right now, if inherent importance were all that mattered, I wouldn’t be writing about the effects of sprawl, or the Fed succession, or even, probably, about China’s brick-wall problem. I would instead be writing all the time about the looming chaos in U.S. governance.

In the short run the point is that Republican leaders are about to reap the whirlwind, because they haven’t had the courage to tell the base that Obamacare is here to stay, that the sequester is in fact intolerable, and that in general they have at least for now lost the war over the shape of American society. As a result, we’re looking at many drama-filled months, with a high probability of government shutdowns and even debt defaults.

Over the longer run the point is that one of America’s two major political parties has basically gone off the deep end; policy content aside, a sane party doesn’t hold dozens of votes declaring its intention to repeal a law that everyone knows will stay on the books regardless. And since that party continues to hold substantial blocking power, we are looking at a country that’s increasingly ungovernable.

The trouble is that it’s hard to give this issue anything like the amount of coverage it deserves on substantive grounds without repeating oneself. So I do try to mix it up. But neither you nor I should forget that the madness of the GOP is the central issue of our time.

Read more: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/chaos-looms

Chris
08-02-2013, 11:03 AM
because they haven’t had the courage to tell the base that Obamacare is here to stay, that the sequester is in fact intolerable, and that in general they have at least for now lost the war over the shape of American society

Public opinion has been against Obamacare and even Dems are faltering over implementation.

What sequester is intolerable?

Conservatives aren't interested in re-engineering society.

Over the longer run the point is that one of America’s two major political parties has basically gone off the deep end

This has been predicted since the fall of communism.

jillian
08-02-2013, 11:06 AM
:rollseyes:

... Right now, if inherent importance were all that mattered, I wouldn’t be writing about the effects of sprawl, or the Fed succession, or even, probably, about China’s brick-wall problem. I would instead be writing all the time about the looming chaos in U.S. governance.

In the short run the point is that Republican leaders are about to reap the whirlwind, because they haven’t had the courage to tell the base that Obamacare is here to stay, that the sequester is in fact intolerable, and that in general they have at least for now lost the war over the shape of American society. As a result, we’re looking at many drama-filled months, with a high probability of government shutdowns and even debt defaults.

Over the longer run the point is that one of America’s two major political parties has basically gone off the deep end; policy content aside, a sane party doesn’t hold dozens of votes declaring its intention to repeal a law that everyone knows will stay on the books regardless. And since that party continues to hold substantial blocking power, we are looking at a country that’s increasingly ungovernable.

The trouble is that it’s hard to give this issue anything like the amount of coverage it deserves on substantive grounds without repeating oneself. So I do try to mix it up. But neither you nor I should forget that the madness of the GOP is the central issue of our time.

Read more: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/chaos-looms

i love him.

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Krugman :rofl:

Matty
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
i love him.

Howard Dean is the original mad hatter. He has a patent on it. so it's truly a case of the pot calling the kettle black

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 11:39 AM
She probably loves him too!

:grin:

Chris
08-02-2013, 11:41 AM
:rofl:

All's fair in love and hate.

Cigar
08-02-2013, 11:44 AM
i love him.

Notice how they can't address the topic?

A direct hit ... sending them to the bottom of the sea.

Mister D
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
i love him.

Of course you do. He tells you what you want to hear.

Cigar
08-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Of course you do. He tells you what you want to hear.

What ?... they found the Zimmerman body already? :laugh:

Mister D
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Good Lord...he goes from lame to unintelligible.

Chris
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Notice how they can't address the topic?

A direct hit ... sending them to the bottom of the sea.

BS, cigar, I addressed the topic directly. "I love him" and your smart-ass remarks don't address the topic.

Cigar
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Good Lord...he goes from lame to unintelligible.

No actually i have a life, I go to the Golf Course around 3:00 and you'll be still here on the Forum. :grin:

Mister D
08-02-2013, 12:02 PM
yeah, sure sounds like it most active member. Now salt those fries. :smiley:

Chris
08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
No actually i have a life, I go to the Golf Course around 3:00 and you'll be still here on the Forum. :grin:

Cigar tees off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU

Mister D
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Does he still not realize that telling everyone how great his life is has the opposite of the intended effect? :grin:

Cigar
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Get out of my way ... Chris ... you're block my line. :grin:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hot-chicks-sexy-golf-5.jpg?w=500&h=713

Mister D
08-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Are you the only male caddy? :grin: I guess that's a plus.

patrickt
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM
i love him.

Why am I not surprised? Some people love Charles Manson. Krugman peaked as an Enron shill. It wasn't surprising that he didn't mention that the sequester was an Obama creation. Krugman lies with ease.

Cigar. 17,782 posts with 17,781 being TPP.

Cigar
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Yep :wink:

Chris
08-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Get out of my way ... Chris ... you're block my line. :grin:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hot-chicks-sexy-golf-5.jpg?w=500&h=713

My but you're sure purdy, cigar.