PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Rangel: Tea Party Is ‘Same Group’ Of ‘White Crackers’ Who Fought Civil Rights

Chris
08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Charlie Rangel: Tea Party Is ‘Same Group’ Of ‘White Crackers’ Who Fought Civil Rights (http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/charlie-rangel-tea-party-is-same-group-of)

Uh, Charlie, those white crackers were Democrats.

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 04:27 PM
No, no, you don't understand. Liberals have redefined them as closet Republicans. :rofl:

darroll
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
See what happens when you give some groups rights.

Chris
08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
See what happens when you give some groups rights.

Rights aren't given, they're inherent in who we are.

What this is is a matter of giving people too much power.

Matty
08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Charlie Rangel is a bitch! That is all.

Max Rockatansky
08-02-2013, 07:27 PM
“It is the same group we faced in the South with those white crackers and the dogs and the police. They didn’t care about how they looked," Rangel said.

Well, well. Not only is "Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY)" a convicted corrupt politician, but he's a racist too.

Singularity
08-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm sure that Republicans would love to line up
to proclaim that Charlie Rangel speaks for all
Democrats, but his party affiliation is about as
irrelevant to his influence as the fact that Harlem
is silly enough to keep voting for him.

zelmo1234
08-02-2013, 10:02 PM
^^^^

I agree we need to look at the character of the person not the group!

Singularity
08-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Yea. The Democrats pushed Rangel off of all of his chairmanships,
removed him from all important committees, censured him on
the floor of the House, used a one-in-ten years opportunity to
deprive him of a lot of his voter base via redistricting, and donated
to a primary challenger. He still won, by about 1,000 votes.

It's a Congressional fact of life, really. Once you've been there for
more than 10 years, if you are prepared to accept any bit of
marginalization, haplessness, shame or whatever, you can do
just about anything that is not explicitly felonious and still
hang on to your seat until you die.

When Ike Skelton lost in 2010, that was unheard of.

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Funny, I don't see any Democrats criticizing him for using the white equivalent of the word, "nigger" do you Singularity?

Actually, I don't see any Democrats criticizing any of these black racists, including Obama, who all seem to be Democrats as well.

Hmmmm.

Singularity
08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Funny, I don't see any Democrats criticizing him for using the white equivalent of the word, "nigger" do you Singularity?

Actually, I don't see any Democrats criticizing any of these black racists, including Obama, who all seem to be Democrats as well.

Hmmmm.

I'm from a pretty white area of the country.
You generally have to go to a university campus
or a high-profile business or public place to find
a black person, with the odd exception. Never once
have I heard an equivocation on the part of anyone
between "cracker" and "nigger." I know at least
one southern-cultured white person who uses
the term affectionately.

Chris
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Hmmmm.

No kidding, where's the denunciations of this idiot racist.

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
the term affectionately.

Unresponsive to the point I made. And nonsense. Do you think Charlie was using the term affectionately?

What a joke.

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 10:27 PM
No kidding, where's the denunciations of this idiot racist.

Which one? The Democrat Party is full of them these days.

Dr. Who
08-02-2013, 10:29 PM
No kidding, where's the denunciations of this idiot racist.Perhaps they think because he's in his 80's he might not be "all there".

Mainecoons
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh Puleeze. Face it, a lot of them agree with him, starting right at the White House. Wise up.

Democrats have been playing the race card against the Tea Party practically from the moment it appeared.

Singularity
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Unresponsive to the point I made. And nonsense. Do you think Charlie was using the term affectionately?

What a joke."Cracker" is not equivalent to "nigger" in any context.

I've not defended Charlie Rangel or his actions at any point in this thread.

Rangel is a symptom of Congressional problems, not a cause, but he still needs to go.

Dr. Who
08-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Oh Puleeze. Face it, a lot of them agree with him, starting right at the White House. Wise up.

Democrats have been playing the race card against the Tea Party practically from the moment it appeared.Unfortunately a fair number of tea party supporters have publically made racist statements which have left the movement in the position of being associated with racism in the public mind. Comments like this from Tea Party Republican Ken Emanuelson, co-founder of the Dallas Tea Party don't help: “I’m going to be real honest with you, the Republican Party doesn’t want black people to vote if they’re going to vote 9-to-1 for Democrats.” http://keranews.org/post/racial-comment-tea-party-leader-draws-ire-democrats

Professor Peabody
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
TRICKY CHARLIE'S CARIB 'HIDEAWAY'
SHADY FILINGS ON BEACH-VILLA RENTAL INCOME

SABEL VINCENT in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, and SUSAN EDELMAN in New York

For 20 years, Harlem Rep. Charles Rangel has owned a beachfront villa in a sun-drenched Dominican Republic resort, yet has only sporadically declared income on the property in federal filings.

While the villa was rented to paying guests for the past two years, for instance, Rangel reported no income from it in 2006 and 2007, The Post has learned. As a congressman, failure to fully list all income and investments can result in civil penalties or criminal charges.

The powerful Ways and Means Committee chairman, a Democrat, owns "casita" No. 412 on the Caribbean Sea at the Punta Cana Hotel, on the lush eastern tip of the country, where he is affectionately known as "el senador."

His three-bedroom, three-bath villa, which can accommodate three couples, is rented for between $500 in the low season to $1,100 a night in the busiest tourist season and is one of the resort's most popular, managers and staff say.

"You are requesting the best casita on the beach," a reservations manager told a Post reporter posing as a customer.

"We are always booked solid on that one between December 15 and April 15. It is always the first one to go," he said.

But Rangel's financial disclosure forms, which members of Congress must file annually to the clerk of the House of Representatives, checks "none" for income from the property in 2006 and 2007.

"I have not received any rental income," Rangel said when asked about the villa last week. "There wasn't any income."

In some previous years, Rangel has reported earnings from the cottage. For both 2004 and 2005, he listed rental income of $2,500 to $5,000 a year. For 2001, 2002 and 2003, he reported rental income of $5,000 to $15,000 a year. And in 1990, 1991 and 1992, he reported that he earned up to $5,000 per year in rent. For some years, benefactors such as American Airlines paid for Rangel's trip to the resort.

Rangel refused to answer further questions about his investment, saying, "I think that's a private matter."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008/news/worldnews/tricky_charlies_carib_hideaway_126882.htm?page=1

http://i44.tinypic.com/ff1u0w.jpg

I guess Ole Chuckles never heard of Turbo Tax has he?

Matty
08-03-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm sure that Republicans would love to line up
to proclaim that Charlie Rangel speaks for all
Democrats, but his party affiliation is about as
irrelevant to his influence as the fact that Harlem
is silly enough to keep voting for him.

You mean in the same fashion stupid liberals keep saying Rush Limbaugh speaks for all Republicans? You mean like that ?

Matty
08-03-2013, 06:37 AM
the term affectionately.

What a cop out. To throw the word "affectionately" into racist insults.

Mainecoons
08-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Unfortunately a fair number of tea party supporters have publically made racist statements which have left the movement in the position of being associated with racism in the public mind. Comments like this from Tea Party Republican Ken Emanuelson, co-founder of the Dallas Tea Party don't help: “I’m going to be real honest with you, the Republican Party doesn’t want black people to vote if they’re going to vote 9-to-1 for Democrats.” http://keranews.org/post/racial-comment-tea-party-leader-draws-ire-democrats

What do you consider to be a "fair number?" Countable on the fingers of one hand nationally? How would your fair number compare with the number of racist and worse statements coming out of Democrats? Want to bet it far overwhelms anything the Tea Party are doing? Do you see the ObamaMedia branding Democrats as racist for their statements?

I think Priebus described this reality very well, and your post reflects it:

"It's insane to be knocking each other in public, especially on television, especially in front of the same groups of media outlets that are in the business of slicing and dicing us," he adds.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/priebus-christie-rand-paul/2013/08/02/id/518506#ixzz2auBwea1D

Yep, they are in the business of slicing and dicing the Tea Party too while covering for all the Democrat racists and Barack Obama.

BTW, do you also deny that blacks vote racially, something you liberals constantly accuse whites of, and that you ignore?

Let me tell you something: As a result of Barack Obama I vote racially now too. As a result of my experience of what happens when we elect a "black" (actually a mulatto) it would be a cold day in hell before I would vote for a black for anything from garbage collector up.

Stick that in your lefty pipe and smoke it.

Singularity
08-03-2013, 07:57 AM
You mean in the same fashion stupid liberals keep saying Rush Limbaugh speaks for all Republicans? You mean like that ?

I wouldn't say he speaks for all Republicans, but Limbaugh has a
tremendous amount of influence in the GOP. Rangel might have
been a power player Democrat at one time, but these days he
just makes noise to try to get somebody to pay attention to him.

zelmo1234
08-03-2013, 08:07 AM
What this will show is weather the Democrats are serious about racial relations or not!

If they really are concerned they will see, that his statement has the ability to turn people against others, based entirely on the color of their skin?

They will make Charlie answer in front of a committee hearing and censure him at the least? I do not believe that this will happen and it goes back to not being willing to admit your policies are failing!

Democrats need racial tensions to turn voters to vote for a party that is supporting policies that are keeping them unemployed, reducing their wages, and with the ACA about to cost them a ton of money! economically there is no reason to vote for the Democratic Party.

If you don't believe me look at how they are getting the unemployment number to drop, here is a hint, it is not by putting more people back to work!

Chris
08-03-2013, 08:36 AM
"Cracker" is not equivalent to "nigger" in any context.

Rangel is a symptom of Congressional problems, not a cause, but he still needs to go.

Cracker is racist. Period. Rangel's pandering.

Chris
08-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately a fair number of tea party supporters have publically made racist statements which have left the movement in the position of being associated with racism in the public mind. Comments like this from Tea Party Republican Ken Emanuelson, co-founder of the Dallas Tea Party don't help: “I’m going to be real honest with you, the Republican Party doesn’t want black people to vote if they’re going to vote 9-to-1 for Democrats.” http://keranews.org/post/racial-comment-tea-party-leader-draws-ire-democrats

Overgeneralize much, who? And who is Emanuelson? Never heard of him.

Chris
08-03-2013, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't say he speaks for all Republicans, but Limbaugh has a
tremendous amount of influence in the GOP. Rangel might have
been a power player Democrat at one time, but these days he
just makes noise to try to get somebody to pay attention to him.

As they say in the fashion industry, that's so 90s.

patrickt
08-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Cracker is as racist as nigger. Saying it can be used "affectionately" is hilarious. I suppose nigger can be used affectionately and then it's okay. "Rep. Rangel is a sweet little nigger." How's that? Affectionate enough. Does that make it okay in the liberal racist world?

Rep. Rangel, and most Democrats, are blatant racist and race-baiters. I no longer care. I avoid the word nigger because it offends Americans I care about.

The racist have defined the world so they can live in the world they've defined. I simply no longer care.

I do care about America and Americans and that's sad. The Democrats and the liberals hate those I care about. As for the racist and race-baiters, I don't care.

Chris
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
What some are missing though is it wasn't the Tea Party but Democrats who has resisted civil rights, here is a long history: The Democrat Race Lie (http://www.black-and-right.com/the-democrat-race-lie/).

patrickt
08-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Dr. Who: "Unfortunately a fair number of tea party supporters have publically made racist statements which have left the movement in the position of being associated with racism in the public mind. Comments like this from Tea Party Republican Ken Emanuelson, co-founder of the Dallas Tea Party don't help: “I’m going to be real honest with you, the Republican Party doesn’t want black people to vote if they’re going to vote 9-to-1 for Democrats.” http://keranews.org/post/racial-comm...-ire-democrats (http://keranews.org/post/racial-comment-tea-party-leader-draws-ire-democrats)"

And, do you consider Rep. Emanuelson a racist because of that statement? I think it's an honest statement. Now, Dr. Who, why don't the Democrats want serving military members to vote. No, they haven't said anything but President Clinton would not allow polling stations on military bases and Democrats have teams of attorneys at each election to disqualify military ballots sent in from overseas. Why do they hate the military?

Oh, and, Dr. Who, since communists probably vote 95% for Democrats, I don't want them voting either. But, what I or Rep. Emanualson want is irrelevant. Neither I, nor Rep. Emanualson will try to stop communists or black people from voting.

Supporting the NBPP in their voter intimidation is a racist attempt to suppress voting. Having the IRS attack conservative groups is an attempt to suppress voting rights. The blatant attacks on serving military members voting is suppressing voting rights.

No outrage for those on the left, though. No, they just dance around, wiggle their butts, and giggle, "We won, we won." As the liberals say, "Whatever it takes."

So the left happily suppresses voting rights. Liberals to have conservatives beat hands down on whining and being offended.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 09:47 AM
What do you consider to be a "fair number?" Countable on the fingers of one hand nationally? How would your fair number compare with the number of racist and worse statements coming out of Democrats? Want to bet it far overwhelms anything the Tea Party are doing? Do you see the ObamaMedia branding Democrats as racist for their statements?

I think Priebus described this reality very well, and your post reflects it:

Yep, they are in the business of slicing and dicing the Tea Party too while covering for all the Democrat racists and Barack Obama.

BTW, do you also deny that blacks vote racially, something you liberals constantly accuse whites of, and that you ignore?

Let me tell you something: As a result of Barack Obama I vote racially now too. As a result of my experience of what happens when we elect a "black" (actually a mulatto) it would be a cold day in hell before I would vote for a black for anything from garbage collector up.

Stick that in your lefty pipe and smoke it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/13/ohio-tea-party-member-flies-confederate-flag-during-racist-rant-at-school-board-meeting/
http://gawker.com/5588556/the-embarrassing-racist-satire-of-tea-party-leader-mark-williams
http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/04/gop_member_sends_email_depicting_obama_family_as_a pes.html
http://trueslant.com/rickungar/2010/02/05/tea-party-convention-kicks-off-with-racist-rant/
http://hutchnews.com/Todaystop/tea-party-skunk--1
http://www.newstaco.com/2011/06/15/racist-statement-uncovers-real-tea-party/
http://mtcowgirl.com/2013/02/16/they-keep-saying-they-arent-racist-but/
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/14/leader-of-non-racist-tea-party-tells-racist-joke-gets-big-laugh-from-non-racist-tea-party-crowd/
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/meet-grady-warren-tea-party-stalwart
http://www.inquisitr.com/170437/tea-party-obama-family-assassination/

That's the fingers on two hands nationally and not really trying that hard. While I don't happen to believe that the majority of Tea Party supporters are racist, the ones that are attracted to the party seem to be very vocal. Generalization is a human failing. When people see enough reports of public racially laden comments from so called leaders of a movement, they tend to ascribe those views to the movement in general. And while I didn't choose to post them, some supporters at various rallies have carried some really vile racist placards. What's that old saying? A picture is worth a thousand words. Even Glenn Beck has accused the party of racism and I wouldn't think that he suffers from liberal sympathies.

Chris
08-03-2013, 10:03 AM
While I don't happen to believe that the majority of Tea Party supporters are racist, the ones that are attracted to the party seem to be very vocal.

Isn't the overgeneralization now that this is inclusive of the Tea Parties in a topic about how racists seem to be attracted to the Democrat Party?

And again, you conveniently forget that the Tea Parties are not a unified, hierarchical organization like Dems and Reps. That's equally another problem with Rangel's view, that he's inciting race to campaign against Tea Parties who do not even field candidates.

Singularity
08-03-2013, 10:38 AM
No, they just dance around, wiggle their butts, and giggle, "We won, we won."Oh, jeez. I guess for some of you guys, the election really shattered the snow globe.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Isn't the overgeneralization now that this is inclusive of the Tea Parties in a topic about how racists seem to be attracted to the Democrat Party?

Your OP was not that clearly defined.

And again, you conveniently forget that the Tea Parties are not a unified, hierarchical organization like Dems and Reps. That's equally another problem with Rangel's view, that he's inciting race to campaign against Tea Parties who do not even field candidates.

Yes but a number have become hyphenated Republicans. I don't defend Rangel's race baiting statements, nor those of anyone else. Nevertheless, the Tea Party has made itself an easy target for those who would. Civility and fair gamesmanship left politics a long time ago, mores the pity, and neither the left or the right have clean hands in that respect.

In a world where cameras are everywhere and even events not covered by the media can be recorded and submitted to the press, those who wish to wade into the quagmire of politics had not only be prepared to wear very tall boots, but also need to consider the goals of the party or movement before making statements that can be used as ammunition. The arts in general, and by extension writers and the media in general will always attract more liberals than conservatives. That reality will never change and must be kept in mind by all conservative politicians.

Chris
08-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Your OP was not that clearly defined.

Yes but a number have become hyphenated Republicans. I don't defend Rangel's race baiting statements, nor those of anyone else. Nevertheless, the Tea Party has made itself an easy target for those who would. Civility and fair gamesmanship left politics a long time ago, mores the pity, and neither the left or the right have clean hands in that respect.

In a world where cameras are everywhere and even events not covered by the media can be recorded and submitted to the press, those who wish to wade into the quagmire of politics had not only be prepared to wear very tall boots, but also need to consider the goals of the party or movement before making statements that can be used as ammunition. The arts in general, and by extension writers and the media in general will always attract more liberals than conservatives. That reality will never change and must be kept in mind by all conservative politicians.

You still persist in speaking of the Tea Party as a single, unified, hierarchical organization even though you know it's not. You don't defend Rangel but you don't condemn him either, just the media monolith you call Tea Party.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 11:26 AM
You still persist in speaking of the Tea Party as a single, unified, hierarchical organization even though you know it's not. You don't defend Rangel but you don't condemn him either, just the media monolith you call Tea Party.

I would think that characterizing his statements as "race baiting" is sufficient condemnation.

Not being a Democrat myself, (or Republican for that matter) I don't feel the need to be held accountable for his statements, nor those of any Democrats. Nor do I condemn the Tea Party movement as racist, although I don't tend to agree with their politics, being a liberal. I only suggest that some of its less than prudent membership have made it an easy target and by extension any Republicans who are openly associated with the movement, unified or not. Its not like mud slinging is a recent and uniquely Democratic phenomenon.

Chris
08-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I would think that characterizing his statements as "race baiting" is sufficient condemnation.

Not being a Democrat myself, (or Republican for that matter) I don't feel the need to be held accountable for his statements, nor those of any Democrats. Nor do I condemn the Tea Party movement as racist, although I don't tend to agree with their politics, being a liberal. I only suggest that some of its less than prudent membership have made it an easy target and by extension any Republicans who are openly associated with the movement, unified or not. Its not like mud slinging is a recent and uniquely Democratic phenomenon.

ou still persist in speaking of the Tea Party as a single, unified, hierarchical organization even though you know it's not. What about multiple, different, distributed Tea Parties do you not understand?

Peter1469
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Tea Party(ies) :wink:

Singularity
08-03-2013, 11:52 AM
ou still persist in speaking of the Tea Party as a single, unified, hierarchical organization even though you know it's not. What about multiple, different, distributed Tea Parties do you not understand?

There are key examples of national, unified Tea Party organization.
Americans for Prosperity or the Tea Party Caucus of Congress are two of them.
Organizational decentralization isn't very important when you are
talking about general ideological or philosophical homogeneity.

Chris
08-03-2013, 12:26 PM
There are key examples of national, unified Tea Party organization.
Americans for Prosperity or the Tea Party Caucus of Congress are two of them.
Organizational decentralization isn't very important when you are
talking about general ideological or philosophical homogeneity.

From discussions prior to your coming here, liberals here full well know that those are not even Tea Parties. I weary of explaining it, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_Caucus.

general ideological or philosophical homogeneity

Less taxes, smaller government, greater liberty are the key principles the Tea Parties seem to agree upon. Period.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
ou still persist in speaking of the Tea Party as a single, unified, hierarchical organization even though you know it's not. What about multiple, different, distributed Tea Parties do you not understand?I called it a movement didn't I. If we were talking about the Socialist movement, would you care whether or not it is a unified national movement, which it's not? You have on many occasions characterized it as a political ideology that you associate with Marxism. The fact that is that all Socialists are not Marxists and all Marxists are not Socialists, some are Communists. That distinction made very little difference during the era of McCarthyism nor in the years that followed where supporting Socialism made you a "Commie Pinko" and still does in many people's minds. The Tea Party as a term denotes a political ideology, which some people associate with racism, because some vocal holders of the Tea Party ideology are also racists. Welcome to the world of generalizations.

Chris
08-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I called it a movement didn't I. If we were talking about the Socialist movement, would you care whether or not it is a unified national movement, which it's not? You have on many occasions characterized it as a political ideology that you associate with Marxism. The fact that is that all Socialists are not Marxists and all Marxists are not Socialists, some are Communists. That distinction made very little difference during the era of McCarthyism nor in the years that followed where supporting Socialism made you a "Commie Pinko" and still does in many people's minds. The Tea Party as a term denotes a political ideology, which some people associate with racism, because some vocal holders of the Tea Party ideology are also racists. Welcome to the world of generalizations.

But you still speak of the Tea Parties in a monolithic sense.

When we speak of socialism we speak of its various implementations--communism, nazism, fascism, social democracy, etc--all of which share one key common denominator, authoritarian central planning.

The key common denominator of the Tea Parties are less taxes, smaller government, more liberty--the exact opposite of socialists.

Now if you want to stand with socialist and criticize Tea PArties, fine, but at least criticise them for what they stand for, not invented strawmen.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 01:17 PM
But you still speak of the Tea Parties in a monolithic sense.

When we speak of socialism we speak of its various implementations--communism, nazism, fascism, social democracy, etc--all of which share one key common denominator, authoritarian central planning.

The key common denominator of the Tea Parties are less taxes, smaller government, more liberty--the exact opposite of socialists.

Now if you want to stand with socialist and criticize Tea PArties, fine, but at least criticise them for what they stand for, not invented strawmen.You may speak of socialism that way, but the majority do not. An ideological set of held views may well be a monolith metaphorically speaking. I'm not actually criticising Tea Parties per se, only pointing out the negative public perception, where it originates and the fact that people will ascribe the opinions of the few to the many. That's just the reality of the situation.

Max Rockatansky
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
"Cracker" is not equivalent to "nigger" in any context.

Agreed Rangel is a problem and a good example of what is wrong with Congress. Also agreed that "cracker" isn't as offensive as "nigger".
It's more like "darkie", "jiggaboo" or "macaca". Still racist and still intended to be a racial slur, but not with the same impact.

Chris
08-03-2013, 01:23 PM
You may speak of socialism that way, but the majority do not. An ideological set of held views may well be a monolith metaphorically speaking. I'm not actually criticising Tea Parties per se, only pointing out the negative public perception, where it originates and the fact that people will ascribe the opinions of the few to the many. That's just the reality of the situation.

Sorry, but how those who pretend to be socialists, or pretend not to, speak of it in terms of all sorts of glorious good intentions, inconsiderate of unintended consequences the road to perdition's paved with, is not relevant to an economic analysis of it's implementation via authoritarian central planning.

Criticise the source of public perception, the liberal media you echo, rather than the Tea Parties who stand for something else altogether.

Your reality is your perception.

Dr. Who
08-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Sorry, but how those who pretend to be socialists, or pretend not to, speak of it in terms of all sorts of glorious good intentions, inconsiderate of unintended consequences the road to perdition's paved with, is not relevant to an economic analysis of it's implementation via authoritarian central planning.

Criticise the source of public perception, the liberal media you echo, rather than the Tea Parties who stand for something else altogether.

Your reality is your perception.

Socialism was used only as an analogy to the Tea Party(ies') problem with the media and public perception. Not meant to be a political debate unto itself.

It is not my personal perception of which the OP complains, it is the reality of the public perception and the ability of an unscrupulous politician to use that perception as a means to make political hay. The source of that perception is not the media - they did not make the racist statements, they only reported them. The makers of those statements are the ones who have dragged the Tea Parties collectively into the mud. To paraphrase Aesop, you are known by the company you keep.

Chris
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Socialism was used only as an analogy to the Tea Party(ies') problem with the media and public perception. Not meant to be a political debate unto itself.

It is not my personal perception of which the OP complains, it is the reality of the public perception and the ability of an unscrupulous politician to use that perception as a means to make political hay. The source of that perception is not the media - they did not make the racist statements, they only reported them. The makers of those statements are the ones who have dragged the Tea Parties collectively into the mud. To paraphrase Aesop, you are known by the company you keep.

Sorry, but it's not public perception, it's the media perception which some, like you, buy into, repeat and perpetuate. The Tea Parties don't have a problem with the liberal media, you do.

Singularity
08-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Agreed Rangel is a problem and a good example of what is wrong with Congress. Also agreed that "cracker" isn't as offensive as "nigger".
It's more like "darkie", "jiggaboo" or "macaca". Still racist and still intended to be a racial slur, but not with the same impact.
When it is used as a deliberate insult, and I've rarely seen that,
I would say that "cracker" is equivalent to "darkie" or "colored."
The other two, I've honestly never actually heard used.
"Nigger" is an entirely different animal for a very simple reason:
"Cracker" was never screamed during a lynching.

Mister D
08-03-2013, 04:02 PM

lol What difference does that make?

Chris
08-03-2013, 05:09 PM
lol What difference does that make?

None, just rationalizing the problem away.

Matty
08-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Except black people LOVE to use the word nigger on each other. Vewy perplexing

Max Rockatansky
08-04-2013, 07:14 AM

You don't believe Rangel meant to be insulting when he said "White Crackers"? Do you think Jesse Jackson meant to be insulting when he said "Hymie Town"? Sorry, man, but that apologist crap only goes so far. When it crosses into hypocrisy, I stop giving it any credence.

Perplexing but not completely right. Middle and Upper Class blacks don't use the word. Like white trash Americans, only the lowlifes among blacks use such words. Charlie Rangel's use of "crackers" was him using an emotional appeal to these lower class losers to garner political support.

Rangel apologists are just as guilty of perpetuating racism as those who supported George Wallace.

Common
08-04-2013, 08:11 AM
For those that try to say that "Cracker" isnt the same as the N word take it from someone who was called a cracker hundreds of times, yes it is. It is said with the same vehemence and hate as the N word.
If you dont believe Cracker is the equivalent of the N word, then I ask you all what word is the equivalent.

Captain Obvious
08-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Perfect example of the double standard and why there is racial division.

Chris
08-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Perfect example of the double standard and why there is racial division.

Racist division is the way I'd put it. Rangel is a racist, he uses racist terms to try and divide people, to try and scapegoat the Tea Parties, to pander the black vote for Democrats--for the historical sins of Democrats no less.

Singularity
08-04-2013, 11:32 AM
You don't believe Rangel meant to be insulting when he said "White Crackers"? No, he was aggressively meaning to be insulting. I don't defend Rangel in any respect.

Singularity
08-04-2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iau-e6HfOg0

Captain Obvious
08-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Racist division is the way I'd put it. Rangel is a racist, he uses racist terms to try and divide people, to try and scapegoat the Tea Parties, to pander the black vote for Democrats--for the historical sins of Democrats no less.

Agree, but I further believe that stuff like this creates racial division.

Me for an example, average white guy, I don't consider myself a racist - but I hear shit like this and the subsequent crickets from the media and compare that to what this WR from Philly said and all the media bedshitting that's been going on for the last couple days and it's a total WTF moment.

I say hey... what's going on?

Chris
08-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Agree, but I further believe that stuff like this creates racial division.

Me for an example, average white guy, I don't consider myself a racist - but I hear shit like this and the subsequent crickets from the media and compare that to what this WR from Philly said and all the media bedshitting that's been going on for the last couple days and it's a total WTF moment.

I say hey... what's going on?

In a word, politics. OK, two words, marketing. It sells.

Captain Obvious
08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
In a word, politics. OK, two words, marketing. It sells.

Average Joe doesn't give a shit about that, but I'm guessing subliminal resentment starts to build after a while.

... which is my point, btw.

Mainecoons
08-04-2013, 04:49 PM
OMG--HE USED THE WORD "SHIT." Poor Ransom was told that this word is a "vulgarity."

Where are the word police? Where is the pink message of death?

Isn't WTF an even greater sin here? Is it "rude?"

I'm just trying to understand the shifting sands of the rules so I can be a reformed sinner. :grin:

:rofl:

Chris
08-04-2013, 07:32 PM
OMG--HE USED THE WORD "SHIT." Poor Ransom was told that this word is a "vulgarity."

Where are the word police? Where is the pink message of death?

Isn't WTF an even greater sin here? Is it "rude?"

I'm just trying to understand the shifting sands of the rules so I can be a reformed sinner. :grin:

:rofl:

Shit is not vulgar, even my mother uses it.

Peter1469
08-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Shit is not vulgar, even my mother uses it.

:shocked:

Chris
08-04-2013, 08:01 PM
:shocked:

I'm not shittin' you. That's the only word she uses.

My dad I've never heard swear once.

Max Rockatansky
08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm not shittin' you. That's the only word she uses.

My dad I've never heard swear once.

So you have no problem with declaring in church "Jesus knows his shit!"?

Mainecoons
08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
I am a retired Sanitary Engineer (among other careers). My pop used to tell his friends that his son stirred shit for a living.

I did some consulting work at sewage treatment plants in D.C. Liberals may think their shit doesn't stink but I am here to assure you that it certainly does.

:grin:

Chloe
08-04-2013, 08:40 PM
I am a retired Sanitary Engineer (among other careers). My pop used to tell his friends that his son stirred shit for a living.

I did some consulting work at sewage treatment plants in D.C. Liberals may think their shit doesn't stink but I am here to assure you that it certainly does.

:grin:

Do you like any liberals at all or any liberal ideas?

Mainecoons
08-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm having a little humor here, don't get your panties in a wad over it.

No, I don't think much of today's liberals. My first political volunteering was as a grunt for Jack Kennedy. Not only did he have great taste in women, he had a lot of common sense. He really was a compassionate conservative. Today's liberals would toss him under the bus.

I don't respect failure and I don't respect people who repeat it over and over again. Nor should you. if current trends continue, you and your young friends aren't going to have much to look forward too. I see that more than a few of your generation are beginning to get it about government and are waking up. Join them.

Chris
08-04-2013, 11:00 PM
So you have no problem with declaring in church "Jesus knows his shit!"?

Oh my no my mother wouldn't say that! :-0

Max Rockatansky
08-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh my no my mother wouldn't say that! :-0

Mine neither and she, along with everyone else in the congregation, wouldn't approve if I said it either.

Cigar
08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
What's the Fucking Problem, Crackers are Brown

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4929335031040016&pid=1.7
Some are Orange

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4709252368960061&pid=1.7
I like Marshmallow Crackers also ...:grin:

http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/graham-crackers.jpg

Oohhh Frosted Graham Crackers ...
http://veganverve.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dsc01496.jpg

zelmo1234
08-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Well we white folk are starting to find it offensive! So it is one of those things that you are not gong to be able to say!

You can start calling them saltines!

After all you would not want to offend anyone!

Now I can say it because I am white, but you can't!