PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic)

Adelaide
08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm curious where people stand on this.

I find that a lot of "normal" (relative) people consider majority of procedures to be unnecessary unless they are done to reconstruct or otherwise "fix" something that happened due to accident or birth defect, (among other reasons). Another example might be a breast reduction, and for all the ladies out there, we understand why that can be necessary, (back, shoulder, and neck pain). But it seems like most of those "normal" people also think that breast implants, chin implants, botox, rhinoplasty, liposuction, so on are unnecessary, something they'd never do, and even make fun of people who do get cosmetic plastic surgery.

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to do with their bodies in terms of plastic surgery so long as they are over the age of 18. I think that plastic surgeons have a duty/responsibility to refuse patients who essentially become addicts, or could possibly have something like body dysmorphic disorder. Would I ever think about having cosmetic plastic surgery procedures? I've considered things like chemical peels and changes to my lips but I probably would never actually do it.

So what are your opinions on plastic surgery?

Dr. Who
08-05-2013, 10:49 PM
If a person's looks is essential to their marketability, for example if someone is a media personality, actor, actress etc. I can see why plastic surgery might be as necessary as wardrobe in order to make a living. Nevertheless, all surgery has potential fatal consequences and I think that people lose sight of that, albeit remote, possible outcome. I also think people often expect plastic surgery to somehow change their life, when the life changing fix needs to come from within.

oceanloverOH
08-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Interesting topic. I would never throw rocks at anyone for having plastic surgery....of any type. It's their own bodies they are subjecting to pain and possibly serious scarring, maybe even death. Personally, I would NEVER do it, unless something happened to me where I needed serious reconstruction. I've had enough necessary surgeries to know that recovery from any kind of cutting on your body HURTS, painkillers or not. No thank you.

Common
08-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Not something I would do or promote, but if youre an adult and thats what you want to spend your money on, go for it

Germanicus
08-06-2013, 02:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjkjVRaDPA

I dont think being insecure is attractive at all. And there are more important things than being attractive.

edit- thats easily the nicest thing I have ever seen on Fox Extra. (:

edit- the version from Fox Extra is better. This one is missing the "you dont even have to tryyyy".

I think women are making themselves feel insecure more than men make them feel it. Womens magazines are terrible things for example.

I would have no respect for any male that got plastic surgery unless it was to fix an injury or something like that. Then again, I did go through a sarcastic metro thing a while back. It was sarcastic though. Like a costume that I could take off.

edit- I saw a Hills episode a while ago where Heidi shows her Mother and sister her plastic surgery and they cry. She really didnt need to do that and she has clearly gone mad. She was a very pretty girl. Enough is never enough in western society for many.

Peter1469
08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Although I did have LASIK, in general, I would not have plastic surgery except to fix a wound or something like that.

lynn
08-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I worked for a Plastic Surgeon a long time ago and most of his practice were woman who wanted breast augmentation. Many of them were dancers as this would improve their income. He also repaired many injuries resulting from dog bites to the face for children so you would want his expertise in order for the child to have minimal scarring from the incident. I see nothing wrong in people wanting plastic surgery to improve their image since we live in a society where looking younger and more attractive is seen as a benefit.

strollingbonez
08-06-2013, 07:10 AM
when i was young...and the vietnam war was on...the surgeons at womack...only had work when wounded were coming in....so in their down time they would do procedures on the women and kids ....we could have nose jobs etc..the only catch...my dad had to approve..well i have the family nose....i assure you i have the family nose...and wanted to have a nose reduction...dad refused ..said when i got to be older i would never know what my 'real face' was...that has stuck with me...i have had some things done that left scarring...but i dont care..with the weight loss i would like to have some excess skin removed and breast implants....but i will do neither...some of my friends have done major redos....implants for teeth, breast jobs, tummie tucks...butt lifts....it is amazing how they have turned back the clock...

if you can afford it and dont mind the down time...why not?

jillian
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm curious where people stand on this.

I find that a lot of "normal" (relative) people consider majority of procedures to be unnecessary unless they are done to reconstruct or otherwise "fix" something that happened due to accident or birth defect, (among other reasons). Another example might be a breast reduction, and for all the ladies out there, we understand why that can be necessary, (back, shoulder, and neck pain). But it seems like most of those "normal" people also think that breast implants, chin implants, botox, rhinoplasty, liposuction, so on are unnecessary, something they'd never do, and even make fun of people who do get cosmetic plastic surgery.

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to do with their bodies in terms of plastic surgery so long as they are over the age of 18. I think that plastic surgeons have a duty/responsibility to refuse patients who essentially become addicts, or could possibly have something like body dysmorphic disorder. Would I ever think about having cosmetic plastic surgery procedures? I've considered things like chemical peels and changes to my lips but I probably would never actually do it.

So what are your opinions on plastic surgery?

i pretty much agree with your opinions about medical ethics.

as for plastic surgery.... by all means nip and tuck if you are going to feel better about yourself. (although i consider chemical peel a dermatologic procedure rather than plastic surgery).

i've never seen anyone look good with their lips done. as good as doctors can be in regard to everything else, lips look odd when they're filled, imo.

Adelaide
08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
i pretty much agree with your opinions about medical ethics.

as for plastic surgery.... by all means nip and tuck if you are going to feel better about yourself. (although i consider chemical peel a dermatologic procedure rather than plastic surgery).

i've never seen anyone look good with their lips done. as good as doctors can be in regard to everything else, lips look odd when they're filled, imo.

Well, if I went ahead with the lip thing (hypothetically) I'd only want a very slight change, not like a Meg Ryan kind of change lol

junie
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
every time i see a person who has "had work done", i think to myself how they looked much better naturally!

personally, i would never do anything to alter my natural look, but that's just me... i don't even have a tattoo! :shocked:

Chloe
08-06-2013, 03:32 PM
every time i see a person who has "had work done", i think to myself how they looked much better naturally!

personally, i would never do anything to alter my natural look, but that's just me... i don't even have a tattoo! :shocked:

Yeah other than to fix something that was broken or hurt I don't think I'd ever want any sort of surgery like that. I know that some people do it to help them feel better about themselves and I'm fine with that but there are definitely extremes. Also I am with you on tattoos. I don't think I'd ever want one of those either.

junie
08-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah other than to fix something that was broken or hurt I don't think I'd ever want any sort of surgery like that. I know that some people do it to help them feel better about themselves and I'm fine with that but there are definitely extremes. Also I am with you on tattoos. I don't think I'd ever want one of those either.

i grew up with a girl who was an absolutely beautiful girl but she was so self conscious about her prominent italian nose, so eventually she got a nose job.

imo her nose was part of what distinguished her natural beauty, but for some reason she just never saw that for herself...

after not seeing her for over a decade and finally getting together with her, i couldn't even recognize her because she looked just like a million other perfect nosed women.

sorta like the girl from dirt dancing... still pretty, but she wrecked her natural and unique look, imo...

oceanloverOH
08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

I think tattoos, unless they are tribal, are a HUGE mistake. Sure, when you're young and firm and have your decorated skin, that's all great. But as you age, your skin ages too. It loses elasticity, and begins to wrinkle and sag. And so do your tatoos. Ick.

strollingbonez
08-07-2013, 06:04 AM
I think tattoos, unless they are tribal, are a HUGE mistake. Sure, when you're young and firm and have your decorated skin, that's all great. But as you age, your skin ages too. It loses elasticity, and begins to wrinkle and sag. And so do your tatoos. Ick.

heheheee i have a footoo...amazing with the amount of lotion that i use on my feet...you are still right...