PDA

View Full Version : Tanning Beds and what racism really is

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 08:03 AM
he Affordable Care Act includes a 10 percent excise tax on tanning beds.

If this sounds a little strange, just think about the health implications of sitting under ultraviolet light for hours at a time. Risk for melanoma increases by 75 percent when people begin tanning before the age of 35, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/28/pf/taxes/tanning-tax/index.htm). One study found that tanning beds cause roughly 170,000 cases (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/tanning-beds-cancer_n_1941023.html) of skin cancer each year...

In this case, it’s Rep. Ted Yoho of Florida, who recently revived the tired attack against the tax (John McCain and Snooki railed against it back in 2010) with a disturbing new twist. “It’s a racist tax,” Yoho, who is white, recently told a group of constituents (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/05/rep-ted-yoho-tanning-tax-is-a-racist-tax-against-white-people/), because dark-skinned people don’t need to tan. “I thought I might need to get to a tanning booth so I can come out and say I’ve been disenfranchised, because I got taxed because of the color of my skin.”

If white people were required to use tanning beds as a condition of their citizenship, Yoho might have a point. As it stands, this is stupid; this is a tax on tanning beds, paid by people who purchase them, and felt by people who use them. The only way to describe this as “racist” is to turn the word into a mindless insult.

At no point, in any of this, did the conservative commentators [Limbaugh, Breitbart, Beck] prove racial animus on the part of the president.

The idea that Obama is a racist reads as baffling to most Americans, but it makes sense if you understand the particular racial beliefs of conservatives. If the liberal perspective on racism is that racial inequality is a genuine fact of contemporary American life—and requires race-specific remedies—then the conservative view can be expressed with a line from Chief Justice John Roberts’s opinion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Involved_in_Community_Schools_v.Seattle_Sc hool_District_No.1) in Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1: “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”

Conservatives have no idea what 'racist' means (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/07/conservatives-have-no-idea-what-racist-means.html)

Wish I could quote more of the article, because I think they've nailed it. I get really tired of hearing that Obama is racist, or racist in chief, or whatever.

As for tanning beds - it isn't a tax on 'white' people. It's a tax on dumb ass people who in 20-30 years will have skin cancer and will probably require assistance by the government.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Western leftists have brought this on themselves through their consistent abuse of language. Now that conservatives follow suit they're to blame? Bologna. Cheap bologna too. Snouts and anus!

For the record, no, I don't think Obama is a racist. Nor do I think Holder is a racist. I feel the same about most of the people who are called racists including myself.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I heard about that and just stated laughing my ass off ... it's like ... this generation of Conservatives will never get a clue.

But look at the bright-side, they ain't going to live forever.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
I've been on forums now for maybe 6-7 years. In that time I have seen so many frivolous accusations of racism I can't imagine why anyone would single this particular instance out.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 08:23 AM
I've been on forums now for maybe 6-7 years. In that time I have seen so many frivolous accusations of racism I can't imagine why anyone would single this particular instance out.

It's easy to recognize when it's happening to you ... say like ... over and over again.

You see ... once is not enough ...
twice isn't either ...
ten can be a coincidence ...
even fifty will make you take notice ...
but go a few Decades or Centuries and even Generations and somehow you become aware of your true surroundings.

http://brendaloveladyvideography.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/walkamileinmyshoes.jpg

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Some idiot representative in Florida said tanning bed taxation was racist. The result, in this case, was an article highlighting how wrong conservatives/republicans are/can be on the issue of racism and accusations of racism.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 08:25 AM
It's easy to recognize when it's happening to you ... say like ... over and over again.

You see ... once is not enough ...
twice isn't either ...
ten can be a coincidence ...
even fifty will make you take notice ...
but go a few Decades or Centuries and even Generations and somehow you become aware of your true surroundings.

http://brendaloveladyvideography.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/walkamileinmyshoes.jpg

What?

Cigar
08-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Some idiot representative in Florida said tanning bed taxation was racist. The result, in this case, was an article highlighting how wrong conservatives/republicans are/can be on the issue of racism and accusations of racism.

Looks like a Lawyer is going to get that new addition on his home in Texas.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Something tells me the author is just as wrong.

Ah, I see that the author is black. I think the above is a safe bet.

Chris
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
The idea that Obama is a racist reads as baffling to most Americans, but it makes sense if you understand the particular racial beliefs of conservatives. If the liberal perspective on racism is that racial inequality is a genuine fact of contemporary American life—and requires race-specific remedies—then the conservative view can be expressed with a line from Chief Justice John Roberts’s opinion in Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1: “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”

That captures Obama's racism perfectly. It captures many a liberal's. Their view is you fight and fix racism with racism. That's racism.

Chris
08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Some idiot representative in Florida said tanning bed taxation was racist. The result, in this case, was an article highlighting how wrong [SOME, sic] conservatives/republicans are/can be on the issue of racism and accusations of racism.

Overgeneralizing again. :nono:

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Overgeneralizing again. :nono:

I was describing the article, but nice try.

Chris
08-07-2013, 08:55 AM
I was describing the article, but nice try.

Right, ade, uh huh. An article you endorse.

Common
08-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Let me be devils advocate for a sec. Does anyone feel this is an unfair one sided tax? I wonder how many racist claims would be made if there was a tax on something only blacks do, lets say a 10% tax on skin lightening

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Right, ade, uh huh. An article you endorse.

Yes, I think the article has some great points about why Obama is not a racist as he is often branded.

Chris
08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes, I think the article has some great points about why Obama is not a racist as he is often branded.

As well as its overgeneralizing about cons/reps. Thank you.

Chris
08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Let me be devils advocate for a sec. Does anyone feel this is an unfair one sided tax? I wonder how many racist claims would be made if there was a tax on something only blacks do, lets say a 10% tax on skin lightening

That would be racist since it would tax based merely on race. And it wouldn't matter if it were only blacks, only browns, only yellows, only whites.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 09:07 AM

You can sure that if fast food and grape soda were punitively taxed not a few progressives would editorialize on the class implications as well as the racial undertones. :rollseyes:

Cigar
08-07-2013, 09:07 AM
That would be racist since it would tax based merely on race. And it wouldn't matter if it were only blacks, only browns, only yellows, only whites.

You do know that Black and Brown and Yellow people Tan?

Chris
08-07-2013, 09:11 AM
You do know that Black and Brown and Yellow people Tan?

You know I was answering common's question. Nice troll though.

Kabuki Joe
08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Western leftists have brought this on themselves through their consistent abuse of language. Now that conservatives follow suit they're to blame? Bologna. Cheap bologna too. Snouts and anus!

For the record, no, I don't think Obama is a racist. Nor do I think Holder is a racist. I feel the same about most of the people who are called racists including myself.

...I've said this before, Hitler appeared to be a racist, and not everyone that's racially biased is to the level of racist...everyone is prejudice (racially biased) and if you say you aren't then you can add dishonest, too...

Mister D
08-07-2013, 09:26 AM
...I've said this before, Hitler appeared to be a racist, and not everyone that's racially biased is to the level of racist...everyone is prejudice (racially biased) and if you say you aren't then you can add dishonest, too...

Hitler and the Nazis amptly demonstrated precisely the kind of systematized thinking that would appropriately be described as racism. I would say the same for much of the old southern leadership as well as a great many early 20th Century progressives.

strollingbonez
08-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Conservatives have no idea what 'racist' means (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/07/conservatives-have-no-idea-what-racist-means.html)

Wish I could quote more of the article, because I think they've nailed it. I get really tired of hearing that Obama is racist, or racist in chief, or whatever.

As for tanning beds - it isn't a tax on 'white' people. It's a tax on dumb ass people who in 20-30 years will have skin cancer and will probably require assistance by the government.

i always love the comments people make about people with skin cancer...yes i have skin cancer..yes i tanned when i was younger...yes i had psoriasis and at that time....sun or sun lamps or sunbeds was the treatment....now return to letting us know who you are not a racist....and all...

Singularity
08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
They're talking like losers, Adelaide, plain and simple.
The fact of the matter is, they can promise a rebranding
all day long, but when their rank-and-file clearly have
not moved an inch from the platform that blew up in
their faces in 2012, it'll blow up in their faces again.

Guys like this representative and Steve King (http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/08/01/dreamers-deliver-cantaloupes-to-house-members-who-voted-with-steve-king/), bottom line,
however much John Boehner might privately, desperately
wish it wasn't so, represent the body of the D.C. GOP
whenever they decide to be unguarded in their views.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 09:34 AM

You gotta love those Die-Hard Conservative ... they'll never change.:laugh:

Chris
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Guys like this representative and Steve King (http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/08/01/dreamers-deliver-cantaloupes-to-house-members-who-voted-with-steve-king/), bottom line,
however much John Boehner might privately, desperately
wish it wasn't so, represent the body of the D.C. GOP
whenever they decide to be unguarded in their views.

You gotta love those Die-Hard Conservative ... they'll never change.:laugh:

And the result of your overgeneralizing, ade, is more overgeneralizing in agreement with you.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 10:35 AM
And the result of your overgeneralizing, ade, is more overgeneralizing in agreement with you.

There's NO denying the Facts or the Results.

The Republican Party is what they is, and that's all that they is ....

Chris
08-07-2013, 10:37 AM
(A) There's NO denying the Facts or the Results.

(B) The Republican Party is what they is, and that's all that they is ....

(B) is an overgeneralization that doesn't follow from (A) a single fact.

Forget logic?

bladimz
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
You gotta love those Die-Hard Conservative ... they'll never change.:laugh:Change? That, like the word "compromise" is a word the right-wingers reject. Just ask John Boehner.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Change? That, like the word "compromise" is a word the right-wingers reject. Just ask John Boehner.

Good ... then they are done Governing, because why would anyone elect a President who doesn't want to Govern?

Better yet ... what would anyone who hates The Governemt go into Politics?

Kinda Stupid right?

Chris
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Change? That, like the word "compromise" is a word the right-wingers reject. Just ask John Boehner.

Overgeneralization spreads like wildfire! Wasn't the gang of 8 on immigration compromise. Wasn't raising taxes and cutting future spending a compromise on the fiscal cliff?

True, a rightwinger libertarian like me rejects compromise and sees opposition as the job of the opposition but not all do.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Overgeneralization spreads like wildfire! Wasn't the gang of 8 on immigration compromise. Wasn't raising taxes and cutting future spending a compromise on the fiscal cliff?

True, a rightwinger libertarian like me rejects compromise and sees opposition as the job of the opposition but not all do.

Oh we get it ... so you don't like Over-Generalizations ... today, but what about last week or next week?

http://mediamatters.org/static/images/item/decentigrationofthefamily.JPG

Mister D
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Oh we get it ... so you don't like Over-Generalizations ... today, but what about last week or next week?

http://mediamatters.org/static/images/item/decentigrationofthefamily.JPG

That's probably true. :laugh: What do you think the reason is? George Bush?

Cigar
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
That's probably true. :laugh: What do you think the reason is? George Bush?

The only African American Family and extended Family I know doesn't think so, and I'm guessing there's two or three like me.

But I'm all for Bill O'Reily teaching the White Community everything they need to know.

Don't confuse me with AL Sharpton of anyone other Black Leader that White People anoint, I actually like Bill keeping the ignorant level high for his viewers.

The dumber they the further they fall behind.

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
i always love the comments people make about people with skin cancer...yes i have skin cancer..yes i tanned when i was younger...yes i had psoriasis and at that time....sun or sun lamps or sunbeds was the treatment....now return to letting us know who you are not a racist....and all...

I'm assuming you're older (not old but older) - tanning beds weren't seen as a serious health problem until probably the last decade. The "dumb asses" I speak of are the ones who are fully aware they will drastically increase their rate of cancer and still do it anyways. They're particularly stupid if they decide to do it several times a week, and I know several people that do.

What about my post makes me a racist? From your confused last statement I'm assuming that's what you were trying to say.

Ransom
08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
The only African American Family and extended Family I know doesn't think so, and I'm guessing there's two or three like me.

Your family tree probably looks more like a stick.

But I'm all for Bill O'Reily teaching the White Community everything they need to know.

You could start by spelling his name correctly, :moron:

Don't confuse me with AL Sharpton of anyone other Black Leader that White People anoint, I actually like Bill keeping the ignorant level high for his viewers.

We dont confuse you with Al Sharpton, a little confused you'd call him a "black leader", he's a fraud and a fake. But then you are too, so....

Omit an "are" out of that sentence, Cigar.

If you're going to accuse "dumb", tighten your spelling up.........construct sentences properly.

You couldn't make this up.......your ignorance trumped only by your arrogance, Cigar.

:moron:

Ransom
08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm assuming you're older (not old but older) - tanning beds weren't seen as a serious health problem until probably the last decade. The "dumb asses" I speak of are the ones who are fully aware they will drastically increase their rate of cancer and still do it anyways. They're particularly stupid if they decide to do it several times a week, and I know several people that do.

What about my post makes me a racist? From your confused last statement I'm assuming that's what you were trying to say.

Get Bloomberg on this

patrickt
08-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Adelaide, you should really forward your whine about hearing the President Obama is a racist to President Obama. If he were to quit being a racist then you might quit hearing about it so much. Won't happen, though. He'll die a racist.

Mister D
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Well, that would explain the current state of Black America. Maybe you should go on Bill's show and challenge him. :smiley:

Mister D
08-07-2013, 12:01 PM
BTW, the comments were obviously a joke and meant to ridicule leftist logic when it comes to race.

I had a little fun with [John] Boehner and told him about the sun tanning tax. He goes, ‘I didn’t know it was in there,’ and I said, ‘Yes, it’s a ten percent tax.’ He goes, ‘Well, that’s not that big of a deal.’ I said, ‘It’s a racist tax.’ He goes, ‘You know what, it is.’ I had an Indian doctor in our office the other day, very dark skin, with two non-dark skin people, and I asked this to him, I said, ‘Have you ever been to a tanning booth?’ and he goes, ‘No, no need.’ So therefore it’s a racist tax and I thought I might need to get to a sun tanning booth so I can come out and say I’ve been disenfranchised because I got taxed because of the color of my skin.

No, he doesn't really believe it's a racist tax but according to the logic of some progressives it is.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Well, that would explain the current state of Black America. Maybe you should go on Bill's show and challenge him. :smiley:

Why ... Bill knows everything ... so why change that? :laugh:

Mister D
08-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Why ... Bill knows everything ... so why change that? :laugh:

He does know the effects the decline of the black family has had. Why the obvious is so offensive to you people I don't know.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
He does know the effects the decline of the black family has had. Why the obvious is so offensive to you people I don't know.

Yea well ... we all know Bill knows everything until Bill walks back on what he thinks hes knows ... :tongue:

Discussing his recent dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at the Harlem restaurant Sylvia's, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patron-ship." O'Reilly added: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

Yea Bill ... and they sued real forks and knives to eat with, not kill each other :rollseyes:

Yep ... just another White Expert on Black people. :rollseyes:

Chris
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Cigar, why do you even watch O'Reilly? Is it after you get your fill of Maddow?

Mister D
08-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Yea well ... we all know Bill knows everything until Bill walks back on what he thinks hes knows ... :tongue:

Discussing his recent dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at the Harlem restaurant Sylvia's, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patron-ship." O'Reilly added: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

Yea Bill ... and they sued real forks and knives to eat with, not kill each other :rollseyes:

Yep ... just another White Expert on Black people. :rollseyes:

Bill's comments at Sylvia's were taken out of context but I really don't care. It's immaterial. Bill is obviously right about the effects the decline of the black family has had. Why is that so offensive to you people?

Cigar
08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Bill's comments at Sylvia's were taken out of context but I really don't care. It's immaterial. Bill is obviously right about the effects the decline of the black family has had. Why is that so offensive to you people?

Pivot ... :laugh:

... and I suppose you were there, because you know the context exactly :grin:

Singularity
08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
If you're going to accuse "dumb", tighten your spelling up.........construct sentences properly. Criticism of grammar in this fashion is the refuge of someone who has no argument.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Cigar, why do you even watch O'Reilly? Is it after you get your fill of Maddow?

EVERYTHING I do is because I CHOSE to do it.

Cigar
08-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Your family tree probably looks more like a stick.

You could start by spelling his name correctly, :moron:

We dont confuse you with Al Sharpton, a little confused you'd call him a "black leader", he's a fraud and a fake. But then you are too, so....

Omit an "are" out of that sentence, Cigar.

If you're going to accuse "dumb", tighten your spelling up.........construct sentences properly.

You couldn't make this up.......your ignorance trumped only by your arrogance, Cigar.

:moron:

If it bothers U enough to bitch and complain on internet forum ... I'm happy with it ... and do whatever I what to do, and you'll like it or go somewhere else. :grin:

That's we roll around here sport

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eed069.gif

Ransom
08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
If it bothers U enough to bitch and complain on internet forum ... I'm happy with it ..

Yeah, but yer bipolar thus you'll be all unhappy tomorrow. This ain't our first rodeo with you Cigar, you're a dime a doz.......penny a dozen, you're a typical liberal.....and I'm happy with that.

Chris
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Criticism of grammar in this fashion is the refuge of someone who has no argument.

And criticism of criticism is what but talking about talking about it. Where bumpkin go? He was good at talking about talking about talking about it. Very recursive.

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Please refrain from insulting one another

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but yer bipolar thus you'll be all unhappy tomorrow. This ain't our first rodeo with you Cigar, you're a dime a doz.......penny a dozen, you're a typical liberal.....and I'm happy with that.

Please don't accuse members of having a mental illness. It is a personal attack.

Chris
08-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for clarification.