PDA

View Full Version : Wow - work place violence

Peter1469
08-08-2013, 06:34 AM
From the words of a victim. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-fort-hood-attack-was-terrorism-the-army-should-call-it-that/2013/08/07/cfe62210-feb1-11e2-bd97-676ec24f1f3f_story.html)

In November 2009, my Army Reserve Medical Detachment reported to Fort Hood, Tex. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trial-of-nidal-hasan-accused-fort-hood-gunman-to-begin-tuesday-after-many-delays/2013/08/05/1f585fd6-fe0b-11e2-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html), in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan. As we waited in line at the base’s processing center, Maj. Nidal Hasan (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/06/AR2009110601978.html) entered the building and fired rounds that would kill 13 people and an unborn child and wound 32 others, including me. After many setbacks, Hasan’s trial finally began this week, only to be delayed yet again on Wednesday.

Max Rockatansky
08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I doubt Nidal Hasan will ever be a free man.

jillian
08-08-2013, 06:45 AM
From the words of a victim. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-fort-hood-attack-was-terrorism-the-army-should-call-it-that/2013/08/07/cfe62210-feb1-11e2-bd97-676ec24f1f3f_story.html)

terrible situation. but i don't think i'd define it as 'workplace violence' any more than i'd characterize two planes striking the twin towers as workplace violence.

Common
08-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Doesnt matter what its characterized as its murder, pure violence against humanity. He was an Officer in a position of trust he took advantage that no one would suspect him of mass slaughter of his fellow servicemen to kill as many as he could.

jillian
08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Doesnt matter what its characterized as its murder, pure violence against humanity. He was an Officer in a position of trust he took advantage that no one would suspect him of mass slaughter of his fellow servicemen to kill as many as he could.

you get no argument from me.

and i assume he'll be punished accordingly.

patrickt
08-08-2013, 07:51 AM
terrible situation. but i don't think i'd define it as 'workplace violence' any more than i'd characterize two planes striking the twin towers as workplace violence.

It certainly wasn't terrorism. Just as your Glorious Leader.

According to the media, Hasan wishes to be executed. I think as an act of compassion we should grant his wish, soon.

Mainecoons
08-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Nope, solitary confinement for life. A far worse punishment.

Matty
08-08-2013, 08:26 AM
I think his being paralyzed from the neck down is his hell on earth. It tickles the crap outta me every time I think of it. I think we should keep him alive at all costs.

Chloe
08-08-2013, 08:33 AM
He is obviously going to be found guilty and he is obviously a very crazy man but I dont really think what he did was an act terrorism. Just because he yelled that Allah Akbar thing doesn't automatically make it terrorism in my opinion. Then again anything that causes terror could be called terrorism but its still kindof just a bogeyman term thing in my opinion.

Matty
08-08-2013, 09:07 AM
He is obviously going to be found guilty and he is obviously a very crazy man but I dont really think what he did was an act terrorism. Just because he yelled that Allah Akbar thing doesn't automatically make it terrorism in my opinion. Then again anything that causes terror could be called terrorism but its still kindof just a bogeyman term thing in my opinion.

I disagree. It was definitely Jihadist terrorism. He followed all the rules of Jihad.

Chris
08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Shawn Manning, after describing his injuries and loss of some benefits...

But it would be a mistake to think that the terrorism designation is just about benefits. It is also about the government acknowledging its complicity in the attack.

Before the shooting, the Army knew that the gunman was an Islamic religious extremist. After the attack, a bipartisan Senate report concluded that the Defense Department had evidence that “Hasan embraced views so extreme that it should have disciplined him or discharged him from the military, but DoD failed to take action against him.”

The FBI knew that Hasan was e-mailing with known terrorist leader Anwar al-Awlaki, asking questions about religious martyrdom and expressing support for Awlaki’s terrorist tactics. It did nothing.

The Army also knew that Hasan was an incompetent psychiatrist who repeatedly neglected his duties. Yet instead of investigating, disciplining or discharging him, they transferred him to my medical detachment for deployment to Afghanistan.

Congress has labeled the Fort Hood attack an act of terrorism. In the wake of the attack, an independent report commissioned by the FBI looked at ways to improve counterterrorism measures. Even the president said the attack was inspired by “larger notions of violent jihad.” The only entities that have stubbornly refused to call it an act of terrorism are the Army and the Pentagon. Unfortunately for those wounded in the attack, their opinions are the ones that most affect us.

Hasan’s conviction would represent one step on the path toward justice. But that journey won’t be complete until the government tells the truth about the attack, provides proper support for its victims and takes measures to ensure that these mistakes won’t happen again.

@ The Fort Hood attack was terrorism. The Army should call it that (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-fort-hood-attack-was-terrorism-the-army-should-call-it-that/2013/08/07/cfe62210-feb1-11e2-bd97-676ec24f1f3f_story.html)

I believe him.

Peter1469
08-08-2013, 11:03 AM

It does matter what you call it in the military. For the military victims, if it was called an act of terrorism, they would get a purple heart and hold a higher category of priority for free VA health care.

GrassrootsConservative
08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Religious killings. Yawn. Same shit different day, but you people will never learn. Just keep praying to your god even though he never does anything to stop it. It doesn't work, but you people do the same thing over and over expecting different results anyway. If you want to get rid of the violence you have to get rid of the Religions.

Adelaide
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
You know, I have PTSD but I can't even begin to imagine what a survivor of something like this would go through. I guess I can relate on some level to the fear but otherwise it's just so beyond what anyone could comprehend who hasn't been in that situation. Hopefully they've been given a lot of time with trauma counselors.

Adelaide
08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Religious killings. Yawn. Same shit different day, but you people will never learn. Just keep praying to your god even though he never does anything to stop it. It doesn't work, but you people do the same thing over and over expecting different results anyway. If you want to get rid of the violence you have to get rid of the Religions.

Most religious people in developed countries, a vast and overwhelming majority, don't commit or support violence based on religion. Extremists make up a very small percentage of people, and violent extremists an even smaller percentage. Blaming religion across the board isn't fair.

GrassrootsConservative
08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Most religious people in developed countries, a vast and overwhelming majority, don't commit or support violence based on religion. Extremists make up a very small percentage of people, and violent extremists an even smaller percentage. Blaming religion across the board isn't fair.

You're right as far as that goes. But the fact still stands that most of the violence in the world comes from Religion, even if that amount is small compared to how much Religion there is in the world.

I would rather get rid of as much of it as we can, no matter how small of a number that might be. Don't you agree?

Mister D
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Better still, the worst atrocities have been committed in the name of the idols men have used in their futile attempts to fill the void left by secularism.

GrassrootsConservative
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Better still, the worst atrocities have been committed in the name of the idols men have used in their futile attempts to fill the void left by secularism.

Is it correct for me to assume then that the man in your avatar is your god?

Mister D
Is it correct for me to assume then that the man in your avatar is your god?

What?

Adelaide
You're right as far as that goes. But the fact still stands that most of the violence in the world comes from Religion, even if that amount is small compared to how much Religion there is in the world.

I would rather get rid of as much of it as we can, no matter how small of a number that might be. Don't you agree?

I think there are some problems caused by religious leaders, I think there are some problems where religion is used as an excuse. Overall, religion gives a lot of people something meaningful. I think that it does more good than harm.

Cigar
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Wow ... I thought it came from Chicago :huh:

Must be a good week. :laugh:

Mister D
08-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I think there are some problems caused by religious leaders, I think there are some problems where religion is used as an excuse. Overall, religion gives a lot of people something meaningful. I think that it does more good than harm.

Frankly, I think that's obvious. You would have to not want to see the truth in that.

Peter1469
08-08-2013, 03:07 PM

The vast majority of violence and war has nothing to do with religion. I am speaking throughout history, not just today- where militant Islam is causing a lot of the violence.

peoshi
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
The vast majority of violence and war has nothing to do with religion. I am speaking throughout history, not just today- where militant Islam is causing a lot of the violence.

So what can we say about apparently religiously motivated violence? First of all,religion‘ causes nothing. It does
not exist as a causal entity despite thepersistence of claims to the contrary in the social sciences in general . It is important to maintain a clear distinction between cause and corollary rationalization,specifically when making motivational claims. At one level it does seem that religious ideas are complicit in motivating various behaviors including violent behavior. Conventional wisdom suggests that religious conceptual schemes are very effective for doing so (as well as being optimally designed for transmission). However, while religious ideas are commonly appealed to when informants (and even perpetrators) explicitly rationalize their past or imminent actions, that these ideas can be viably claimed to be the actual causes of violent behavior is much more dubious, however popular. Claims that religious ideas are the motivating/causal force for violent acts amount to cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore, because of this) arguments, i.e.,proposing causality because one thing, ‗religion,‘ accompanies another, ‗a violent act.‘ Such
mere correlations do not count as causal explanations but at best as empirical generalizations.

http://www.academia.edu/1003995/Role_of_Ideology_and_or_Religion_as_They_Impact_or _Motivate_Terrorism_or_Violence_against_Civilians

Chris
08-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Same thing, just a few politicizing religion, using, abusing, hijacking religion for personal power.

countryboy
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Correction, he still is an officer, and still drawing a salary of over $80,000 per year. Even though he refuses to wear proper uniform, and refuses to shave his beard in accordance with Army regs.

Max Rockatansky
08-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Correction, he still is an officer, and still drawing a salary of over $80,000 per year. Even though he refuses to wear proper uniform, and refuses to shave his beard in accordance with Army regs.

I think that pay is being withheld due to his incarceration. If convicted, I'm sure it will be forfeited.