PDA

View Full Version : Obama Who?

Chris
08-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Hanson is a great historian, I think, and offers some perspective on Obama Who? (http://victorhanson.com/wordpress/?p=6304)

Critics of the president are convinced that Barack Obama will do lasting damage to the U.S. I doubt it.

Obama came to power in the third year of large Democratic congressional majorities. In his first referendum, he lost the House and he may soon lose the Senate; in other words, there followed a somewhat normal reaction against a majority party. Obama’s popularity rating is well below 50%, despite an obsequious media and a brilliantly negative billion-dollar campaign that long ago turned Mitt Romney into a veritable elevator-using, equestrian-marrying, canine-hating monster.

In the second term, there is little of the Obama bully pulpit left. “Make no mistake about it” and “let me be perfectly clear” can incur caricature, not fainting. “Really,” “I’m not kidding,” “I’m serious,” “in point of fact,” and “I’m not making this up” often prove rhetorical hints that the opposite is true. When Obama warns about gridlock in Washington, the “same old tired politics,” the dangers of a tyrant or king in the White House, the need for an honest IRS, or the perils of government surveillance, these admonitions have tragically become a psychological tic to warn us about himself. Former jokes aboutsiccing the IRS on his enemies or using Predator drones to go after suitors of his daughters are as eerie as they are comedic.

Each new “historic” speech is by now mostly history repeating itself as farce. The Victory Column oration gave way to a flat vignette at the Brandenburg Gate. The Cairo speech follow-ups were mostly confusion about Egypt and Syria, without the fictions of the West’s underappreciated debts to Islam. The second Trayvon Martin aside on racial look-alikes was even more disturbing that the first. I don’t think Obama’s advisors will allow him to proclaim any more “deadlines,” or “red lines,” or any sort of lines at all in the Middle East.

Aside from Obama himself, no one in the post-Benghazi, -AP, -NSA, and -IRS scandal era references the president any longer as the former “professor of constitutional law.” In Obama’s case even the inflated title has become an oxymoron....

patrickt
08-10-2013, 12:47 PM
"Aside from Obama himself, no one in the post-Benghazi, -AP, -NSA, and -IRS scandal era references the president any longer as the former “professor of constitutional law.” In Obama’s case even the inflated title has become an oxymoron....:

No kidding.

Mainecoons
08-10-2013, 04:02 PM
At least Carter was a really decent human being. With this one, we have the incompetence without the decency.

roadmaster
08-10-2013, 04:05 PM
At least Carter was a really decent human being. With this one, we have the incompetence without the decency.
Well he made some mistakes like most but I liked him as a man.

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Obama deranged spew.

Fwiw, I detest carter

Chris
08-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Obama deranged spew.

Fwiw, I detest carter

You forgot the apostrophe s in your spiteful spit: Obama's deranged spew.

Hanson is a well-known and -respected historian, jill, and he writes in good clear prose.