PDA

View Full Version : Ramen Burger

Common
08-10-2013, 02:47 PM
It does look good

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/ramen-burger-latest-food-mash-up-draw-crowd-article-1.1422911

Mister D
08-10-2013, 02:48 PM
ewwwww

GrassrootsConservative
08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
New York is too weird.

jillian
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
New York is too weird.

you wouldn't eat a burger and pasta?

GrassrootsConservative
08-10-2013, 03:13 PM
you wouldn't eat a burger and pasta?

Ramen noodles are hardly pasta. If it was like fetuccini alfredo on the burger that would be cool. But ramen noodles are neither tasty nor food and I would not ever want them on a burger.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I never eat pasta as a side dish. A burger between fried egg noodles just doesn't look or sound quite right.

jillian
08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Ramen noodles are hardly pasta. If it was like fetuccini alfredo on the burger that would be cool. But ramen noodles are neither tasty nor food and I would not ever want them on a burger.

And I think fettuccini Alfredo is greasy and gross. Just Mac and cheese that knows someone. So it's about what appeals to you.

I haven't had the ramen burger (I generally don't eat much carbs) but if someone likes Raman noodles I can't imagine it at least not being interesting.

I know they sold out all 150 of them on day one and doubled the number for the following day.

KC
08-10-2013, 03:48 PM
And just as the new semester is about to begin, this happens.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I can't think of a more quintessential college staple than Ramen.

KC
08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
I can't think of a more quintessential college staple than Ramen.

I went through a box or two last year.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I went through a box or two last year.

I used to like the roast beef flavor.

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I never eat pasta as a side dish. A burger between fried egg noodles just doesn't look or sound quite right.

Why don't you eat pasta as a side? I figure there are lots of dishes that are noodles with meat.

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:10 PM
And just as the new semester is about to begin, this happens.

Lol. You can make your own Raman burgers in the dorm.

Dr. Who
08-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Why don't you eat pasta as a side? I figure there are lots of dishes that are noodles with meat.I wonder whether the chef uses a binding agent like eggs to hold the noodles together, or somewhat overcooks the ramen, so that it becomes sticky, puts the ramen in molds so that the noodles will hold together as a patty once cooled. It appears that they are then fried.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Why don't you eat pasta as a side? I figure there are lots of dishes that are noodles with meat.

It was always the mainstay of the family meal growing up. I add vegis galore, garlic, oil, and (sometimes) meat but the noodle is the foundation of the dish. It's seems odd to me to eat a small serving of spaghetti, for example, with a steak or cutlet. The meat should be tossed with the pasta. It should be one big happy family. Just a preference I developed, I suppose.

Would like to try some goulash. I live with a Hungarian immigrant who has yet to make it for us.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
I wonder whether the chef uses a binding agent like eggs to hold the noodles together, or somewhat overcooks the ramen, so that it becomes sticky, puts the ramen in molds so that the noodles will hold together as a patty once cooled. It appears that they are then fried.

Ramen noodles are fried egg noodles.

Dr. Who
08-10-2013, 04:22 PM
It was always the mainstay of the family meal growing up. I add vegis galore, garlic, oil, and (sometimes) meat but the noodle is the foundation of the dish. It's seems odd to me to eat a small serving of spaghetti, for example, with a steak or cutlet. The meat should be tossed with the pasta. It should be one big happy family. Just a preference I developed, I suppose.

Would like to try some goulash. I live with a Hungarian immigrant who has yet to make it for us.Never eat pasta salad?

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Would like to try some goulash. I live with a Hungarian immigrant who has yet to make it for us.

that makes sense. growing up, it was always a side unless i was in an italian restaurant. we learned to do the whole mix in thing later. but when i was a kid we had pasta as a side at home.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Never eat pasta salad?

Meh. Too often it's bland or the oil is cheap...

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:26 PM
that makes sense. growing up, it was always a side unless i was in an italian restaurant. we learned to do the whole mix in thing later. but when i was a kid we had pasta as a side at home.

We always had other starches for sides like potatoes or bread.

Common
08-10-2013, 04:26 PM
NYC is always looking for a gimmick to suck people in, New Yorkers are fickled, come up with something new and they have to be the first to try it, so this guy could make a killing on these burgers in a month or two, plus it gets his restaurant in the radar.

Im with MR D on sides of pasta, I prefer my pasta and whatever all together. When I was growing up we ate italian peasant food. I didnt eat steak until I went into the military

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Ramen noodles are fried egg noodles.

i think you might be mixing them up with something else, because wiki says they're a wheat noodle. i have no idea either way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
NYC is always looking for a gimmick to suck people in, New Yorkers are fickled, come up with something new and they have to be the first to try it, so this guy could make a killing on these burgers in a month or two, plus it gets his restaurant in the radar.

Im with MR D on sides of pasta, I prefer my pasta and whatever all together. When I was growing up we ate italian peasant food. I didnt eat steak until I went into the military

I started doing the same thing with rice. I had some paella today with organic chorizo and chicken. Pretty good stuff considering I used a McCormick rice mix.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
i think you might be mixing them up with something else, because wiki says they're a wheat noodle. i have no idea either way.

I must be. Whatever I was thinking of has cholesterol.

Captain Obvious
08-10-2013, 04:40 PM
That looks pretty damn good.

Ramen is not pasta.

jillian
08-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I must be. Whatever I was thinking of has cholesterol.

ahhh... well, you seem to get a reprieve with this stuff!

Captain Obvious
08-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Ramen is loaded with cholesterol.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:43 PM
ahhh... well, you seem to get a reprieve with this stuff!

I was buying fresh Italian pasta for a while until I glanced at the nutrition label...Tastes good but I can't justify getting half my RDA of cholesterol from the pasta alone!

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Ramen is loaded with cholesterol.

I looked it up. It says zero.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-maruchan-ramen-noodles-beef-i113055

Did they change it I wonder? I was still in school in 2000. That was the last time I ate them.

Captain Obvious
08-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I looked it up. It says zero.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-maruchan-ramen-noodles-beef-i113055

Did they change it I wonder? I was still in school in 2000. That was the last time I ate them.

I have several varities in my cupboard. On has 78% daily dose, other has something like 40.

Common
08-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Ramen are wheat noodles, I doubt they have cholesterol in the noodles themselves, maybe the flavor packs have it

Most noodles are made from four basic ingredients: wheat flour, salt, water, and kansui, which is essentially a type of alkaline mineral water,

Dr. Who
08-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I was buying fresh Italian pasta for a while until I glanced at the nutrition label...Tastes good but I can't justify getting half my RDA of cholesterol from the pasta alone!I think that the jury is still out with respect to whether ingested cholesterol actually makes a difference in the cholesterol levels in your body, since your body produces its own. Certain foods encourage the production of LDL or bad cholesterol, and others encourage HDL or good cholesterol, however genetics also play their own part.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I have several varities in my cupboard. On has 78% daily dose, other has something like 40.

I seem to remember it having cholesterol too.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I think that the jury is still out with respect to whether ingested cholesterol actually makes a difference in the cholesterol levels in your body, since your body produces its own. Certain foods encourage the production of LDL or bad cholesterol, and others encourage HDL or good cholesterol, however genetics also play their own part.

Agreed.

Captain Obvious
08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I seem to remember it having cholesterol too.

Now i get the 10 for a dollar variety, probably made with palm oil.

Mister D
08-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Now i get the 10 for a dollar variety, probably made with palm oil.

Salt is high too.

oceanloverOH
08-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Too many carbs for me.