PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years Ago Today

jillian
08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
A blackout hit the northeast united states

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history (http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history)

do you remember where you were?

BB-35
08-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Comfortable in Texas,with our own power grid

GrassrootsConservative
08-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah I was watching about this on the news.

Mister D
08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Damn I don't even remember it.

GrassrootsConservative
08-14-2013, 02:54 PM

It's cool since you didn't live up there. I bet only the people involved will remember hurricane Sandy in another 10 years.

Mister D
08-14-2013, 03:01 PM
It's cool since you didn't live up there. I bet only the people involved will remember hurricane Sandy in another 10 years.

NJ is sort of northeast.

Venus
08-14-2013, 03:01 PM

I had to read what happen to refresh my memory and I think the only reason why I do remember it now is because Cleveland, Ohio lost power and I live in Cincinnati so it was on the local news.

And my brother lived in Cleveland at the time...

Slowly but surely my memory of this is coming back.

jillian
08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
NJ is sort of northeast.

if i recall correctly, there were parts of jersey affected, too.

jillian
08-14-2013, 03:08 PM

i don't know. certain things are pretty awful and get remembered. we remember katrina, yes?

GrassrootsConservative
08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
i don't know. certain things are pretty awful and get remembered. we remember katrina, yes?

That was only like 7 or 8 years ago. We still have a couple years to go and I only kind of remember it. Even 911 is really blurry.

/Edit: The Bush one, that is.

Venus
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM

This reminds me of the time I decided to go back to school in the mid to late 90's. I was in class when the professor asked who remembered the Exxon Valdez oil spill. I was the only one to raise my hand, for the next 20 minutes the professor and I gave the rest of the class a mini history lesson.

For those that don't remember or don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill

Dr. Who
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Remember it very well. It was actually very cool. For the first time ever in this city, I could actually see so many stars at night. Everyone was outside BBQing all the meat in the freezer and inviting others over to eat it. It was really pretty amazing. I was at work when the lights went out and had to walk home. Took about 45 minutes and it was a very hot day, but I was better off than many who had to walk for a couple of hours to get home. Subways were out of commission.

jillian
08-14-2013, 06:57 PM
That was only like 7 or 8 years ago. We still have a couple years to go and I only kind of remember it. Even 911 is really blurry.

well, i remember it vividly. i doubt that it's something i'll ever forget.

you'll forgive me for removing your edit. we've been having civil discussion today. :)

Venus
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
well, i remember it vividly. i doubt that it's something i'll ever forget.

you'll forgive me for removing your edit. we've been having civil discussion today. :)

/Edit: The Bush one, that is.

How is his edit not civil?

jillian
08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Remember it very well. It was actually very cool. For the first time ever in this city, I could actually see so many stars at night. Everyone was outside BBQing all the meat in the freezer and inviting others over to eat it. It was really pretty amazing. I was at work when the lights went out and had to walk home. Took about 45 minutes and it was a very hot day, but I was better off than many who had to walk for a couple of hours to get home. Subways were out of commission.

my husband was in bay ridge at tae kwon do with my son. they had no traffic lights getting back and had to walk up the stairs to the apartment. after about 24 hours of having no lights, a/c or ability to cook anything, i finally took the boy and went to my folks in jersey until the power went on. of course, we were one of the last areas in the city to get the lights back. *sigh*

Common
08-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Didnt most of Jersey

Common
08-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I happened to be in Pittsburgh visiting my wifes family

Peter1469
08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Northern VA. We missed the blackouts.

Ransom
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Hurricane alley. Out of power for more than a week 4 times, 13 days after Isabel. Camp stoves, propane, generators, neighborhood bonds, we run ext cords to elderly neighbors fridge and fan. Days after Isabel in the high 90's....visited by Nat Guard troops even...in full gear, kids thought that was so cool, we took pictures. From NC, they were impressed how well we had done.

Trained professionals

BB-35
08-15-2013, 01:22 AM
my husband was in bay ridge at tae kwon do with my son. they had no traffic lights getting back and had to walk up the stairs to the apartment. after about 24 hours of having no lights, a/c or ability to cook anything, i finally took the boy and went to my folks in jersey until the power went on. of course, we were one of the last areas in the city to get the lights back. *sigh*

We were without power 17 days after hurricane Ike

GrassrootsConservative
08-15-2013, 03:39 AM
We were without power 17 days after hurricane Ike

Doesn't even take a hurricane. When I was living in Tennessee we had a storm that produced ~105 MPH straight-line winds that knocked down a tree just up the block from me. The city took almost two weeks to return power to our area. I remember there was one house in my neighborhood that had a tree actually fall on it and tear a big hole through the wall in two floors. They explained on the news how the heavy rain makes the ground really unstable, and big, old trees will fall over if the wind hits them just right. Hundreds of trees fell from that storm. It was nuts. You could drive down the highway and just see them all with their roots sticking up in the air.

BB-35
08-15-2013, 04:01 AM
Doesn't even take a hurricane. When I was living in Tennessee we had a storm that produced ~105 MPH straight-line winds that knocked down a tree just up the block from me. The city took almost two weeks to return power to our area. I remember there was one house in my neighborhood that had a tree actually fall on it and tear a big hole through the wall in two floors. They explained on the news how the heavy rain makes the ground really unstable, and big, old trees will fall over if the wind hits them just right. Hundreds of trees fell from that storm. It was nuts. You could drive down the highway and just see them all with their roots sticking up in the air.

It was crazy,thousands of power poles were snapped in half all over the area.power crews from all over the country were here,knocking folks fences down to get at all the broken wires and poles....