PDA

View Full Version : My 10 Favorite Games For My 5 Favorite Systems

IMPress Polly
08-16-2013, 06:57 AM
I've provided the occasional commentary on the world of video games that might have served as clues as to what my style is, but just figured I'd more definitively lay out my preferences. Below I've listed my top 10 favorite titles for each of my favorite 5 game systems of all time. My favorite systems here are determined by the amount of time I've invested in them over the years.

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: SUPER NES

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy III
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
5. Secret of Mana
6. Lufia
7. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
8. Harvest Moon
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
10. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

MY SECOND-FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: NINTENDO DS

1. Trace Memory
2. The World Ends With You
3. Radiant Historia
4. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
7. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
8. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
9. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
10. Super Scribblenauts

MY THIRD-FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: PLAYSTATION

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Chrono Cross
6. Star Ocean: The Second Story
7. Final Fantasy IX
8. Final Fantasy VIII
9. Klonoa
10. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

MY FOURTH-FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: WII

1. Okami
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. A Boy and His Blob
7. Lost in Shadow
8. Ivy the Kiwi?
9. Klonoa
10. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

MY FIFTH-FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: NINTENDO GAME CUBE

1. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
2. Beyond Good and Evil
3. Tales of Symphonia
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
6. Chibi-Robo!
7. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
8. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
9. Luigi's Mansion
10. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

SUMMATION:

I favor games with depth and soul (preferably in combination). Usually that means traditionally-styled RPGs and adventure games (overwhelmingly of Japanese origin), but there are also a lot of games listed above that just have some sort of personal meaning to me, like the struggle to reunite with one's mother or maintain a close friendship or an identity crisis theme. I'm also just generally kind of a sucker for dream worlds, time travel, mysticism, realpolitik, and the like. Not a big fan of highly realistic or overly violent games as the rule. Though there are exceptions, overall shooters (especially first-person shooters), sports games, sims, and fighting games are my least favorite genres.

Chris
08-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Favorite, back in the 90s, Lemmings. A British problem-solving game.

http://i.snag.gy/eP4p4.jpg

Doom. Played it so much the tunneling effect would stay with you when you got up and walked around.

http://i.snag.gy/m2Ojp.jpg

Minesweeper, Solitaire, Mahjong.

Played Mario with son till he turned teen and got bored with it.

I got bored with games too.

Platform shouldn't matter.

Common
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
I never played console games, I played PC games, My favorites

Original Wolfenstein
Doom both of them
Quake 1-2 and 3
World of Warcraft

oceanloverOH
08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I love PC role-playing games. Waaaaaay back to the early 80s and the Ultima series; then the Might and Magic series. For the last 10 years or so, I've been quite involved in beta-testing role-playing games for a few independent developers. I'm on the beta-testing team for Eridani Games (the developer actually has a new game in the works right now, have already tested the first part of it).

http://www.eridanigames.com/

IMPress Polly
08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Chris wrote:
Platform shouldn't matter.

It matters to me because I'm one of those people who has a hard time divorcing my perception of a game's quality from its time and place in history. I mean, for example, would it really be fair to directly compare the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy? In such a contest, the latter obviously wins out in terms of production values, length of the adventure, depth of the plot, and more just simply by virtue of being the newer title; for having been made for a more advanced piece of hardware that wasn't possible in 1985. It's not fair to compare NES games to Wii games directly, I don't think. Much as I tend to judge historical figures by the standards of the times in which they lived, so too do I judge games against the standards of their times and the hardware they're made for. To judge the standards of different times against each other, I select preferred systems. That's my approach. Plus I'm not much of a PC gamer. :wink: (I've traditionally preferred consoles because you can just plug in a game and play. You don't have to go through some lengthy, complicated set-up process for each game and keep up to date with graphics cards and so forth. Unfortunately though, I'm sensing that those days are starting to come to an end as home consoles start to function more and more like modified PCs with all the same functions and complications. I agree with the Nintendo president's "magic boxes" critique of the competition in that connection.)

Carlsen
08-16-2013, 04:25 PM
m y favourit games are Zelda and final fantasy XII

Captain Obvious
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Final Fantasy VII, that is all.

Common
08-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I love PC role-playing games. Waaaaaay back to the early 80s and the Ultima series; then the Might and Magic series. For the last 10 years or so, I've been quite involved in beta-testing role-playing games for a few independent developers. I'm on the beta-testing team for Eridani Games (the developer actually has a new game in the works right now, have already tested the first part of it).

http://www.eridanigames.com/

OC I loved Ultima and Duke Nukem

Common
08-16-2013, 06:09 PM
It matters to me because I'm one of those people who has a hard time divorcing my perception of a game's quality from its time and place in history. I mean, for example, would it really be fair to directly compare the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy? In such a contest, the latter obviously wins out in terms of production values, length of the adventure, depth of the plot, and more just simply by virtue of being the newer title; for having been made for a more advanced piece of hardware that wasn't possible in 1985. It's not fair to compare NES games to Wii games directly, I don't think. Much as I tend to judge historical figures by the standards of the times in which they lived, so too do I judge games against the standards of their times and the hardware they're made for. To judge the standards of different times against each other, I select preferred systems. That's my approach. Plus I'm not much of a PC gamer. :wink: (I've traditionally preferred consoles because you can just plug in a game and play. You don't have to go through some lengthy, complicated set-up process for each game and keep up to date with graphics cards and so forth. Unfortunately though, I'm sensing that those days are starting to come to an end as home consoles start to function more and more like modified PCs with all the same functions and complications. I agree with the Nintendo president's "magic boxes" critique of the competition in that connection.)

Ive spent a fortune on video cards and pc upgrades and new pcs over the years just for gaming

oceanloverOH
08-16-2013, 07:06 PM
OC I loved Ultima and Duke Nukem

You played Ultima, Common???? I don't think I've ever met anyone else who thought Lord British was cool (or even knows who he is). I just knew you were special; I just didn't know how special!

:highfive:

Common
08-16-2013, 07:20 PM
You played Ultima, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659)???? I don't think I've ever met anyone else who thought Lord British was cool (or even knows who he is). I just knew you were special; I just didn't know how special!

:highfive:

I played the original ultima where you went into a tunnel and had to click to talk to get clues

Peter1469
08-16-2013, 07:30 PM
I loved the old Mec Warrior series, but they don't seem to work with the new operating systems.

Civ III Conquests is great too.

The Rome Total War and its offshoots are also great.

oceanloverOH
08-16-2013, 07:46 PM
I played the original ultima where you went into a tunnel and had to click to talk to get clues

I played Ultima I, II, III, and IV (Ultima IV being my favorite). This was back in the days of the Commodore 64 (yeah, I'm old....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psk3IG0N7T4

Common
08-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I played Ultima I, II, III, and IV (Ultima IV being my favorite). This was back in the days of the Commodore 64 (yeah, I'm old....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psk3IG0N7T4

Then you remember Ultima Underworld

Captain Obvious
08-16-2013, 09:28 PM
I loved the old Mec Warrior series, but they don't seem to work with the new operating systems.

Civ III Conquests is great too.

The Rome Total War and its offshoots are also great.

Civ III is damn good.

KC
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Civ III is damn good.

I never played Civ III, but Civ V is great. There was a class at my old university that used Civ III as part of its course material.

Peter1469
08-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I didn't like CIV 4 or 5.

oceanloverOH
08-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Then you remember Ultima Underworld
Common, Yep, I do. If you like role-playing games, with relatively simple graphics (created with RPGMaker) but a great story, let me know and I will send you links to my favorite PC indie RPGs (mostly ones that I beta-tested). Some of the best are before I started beta-testing, though. All indie games are free to download and play for one hour, to try before you buy.

Common
08-17-2013, 01:35 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), Yep, I do. If you like role-playing games, with relatively simple graphics (created with RPGMaker) but a great story, let me know and I will send you links to my favorite PC indie RPGs (mostly ones that I beta-tested). Some of the best are before I started beta-testing, though. All indie games are free to download and play for one hour, to try before you buy.

Ultima underworld drove me nuts lol, I play just mmorphs now mostly rift atm

Germanicus
11-16-2013, 03:50 PM
MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE GAME SYSTEM: SUPER NES

I agree.

You know, when I was a kid one year I wanted a SNES and my Mum got me a Sega Megadrive. ): I kinda liked it really. But I got an SNES later. Mario Kart and Streetfighter 2 and NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat were the best with friends. But I liked sport sims. EA Sports games were the best. NBA Live series were my favourite. But before that there was NBA Showdown that EA made. It was kinda like first gen NBA Live. I had it on the megadrive. NBA Showdown 94. But before that David Robinsons basketball game which was good. And there was the World League Basketball on SNES that was good with the first person style play. And on NES and mastersystem there were cool basketball games like Double Dribble and Jordan vs Bird and stuff. But basketball games got good with NBA Showdown and then the NBA Live series. Now 2ksports is as good or better than NBA Live last time I checked.

I would make an awesome GM of an NBA team.

Total War is the best and only game.

I like the original Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War. I also like Rome Total War and Medieval Total War 2. I am a devastating general. And feared Daimyo. (: I beat those games on hardest. I am thinking about ruling the entire world for real. I like Medieval Total War the best I think.

I also dont mind Tropico. Im a great great el Presidente. I never ever let the US side set up a Military base or an Aid Centre. I play the US and Russia off against each other with Castro-like genius. (:

What do you want? Im busy ruling!

KC
11-16-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree.

You know, when I was a kid one year I wanted an SNES and my Mum got me a Sega Megadrive. ): I kinda liked it really. But I got an SNES later. Mario Kart and Streetfighter 2 and NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat were the best with friends. But I liked sport sims. EA Sports games were the best. NBA Live series were my favourite. But before that there was NBA Showdown that EA made. It was kinda like first gen NBA Live. I had it on the sega megadrive. NBA Showdown 94. But before that David Robinsons basketball game which was good. And there was the World League Basketball on SNES that was good with the first person style play. And on NES and mastersystem there were cool basketball games like Double Dribble and Jordan vs Bird and stuff. But basketball games got good with NBA Showdown and then the NBA Live series. Now 2ksports is as good or better than NBA Live last time I checked.

I would make an awesome GM of an NBA team.

Total War is the best and only game.

I likes the original Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War. I also like Rome Total War and Medieval Total War 2. I am a devastating general. And feared Daimyo. (: I beat those games on hardest. I am thinking about ruling the entire world for real.

I also dont mind Tropico. Im a great great el Presidente. I never ever let the US side set up a Military base or an Aid Centre. I play the US and Russia off against each other with Castro-like genius. (:

What do you want? Im busy ruling!

Tropico is fun. If I have the option I never align with the US or Russia either, but I used to play it in the campaign mode, which forces you to make alliances as the story develops.

oceanloverOH
11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Latest favorite: Plants vs. Zombies. I'm obsessed with the darn thing!