PDA

View Full Version : What is the most popular cause of war, strife and conflict?

Captain Obvious
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Throughout history that is, what has been the largest factor (all these are factors also) of conflict?

Conley
01-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Woah! A poll...cool dude.

Conley
01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I would say territory for resources. Territory without resources isn't very useful. I'm not trying to be a wiseass, honest.

Mister D
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I chose number three. Most conflict, IMO, centers around power, resources and even prestige rather than religion. Even the Crusades (with the exception of the First Crusade which was a bona fide armed pilgrimage) were less about religion than mundane power politics. That said, I think all three of those choices often overlap and are sometimes difficult to disentangle.

Captain Obvious
01-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Woah! A poll...cool dude.

No one sees it coming.

http://crusadeagainstbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cockpunch2.jpg

Conley
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
:laugh: Ouch.

Mister D
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
That bear fights dirty! :angry:

Captain Obvious
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I chose number three. Most conflict, IMO, centers around power, resources and even prestige rather than religion. Even the Crusades (with the exception of the First Crusade which was a bona fide armed pilgrimage) were less about religion than mundane power politics. That said, I think all three of those choices often overlap and are sometimes difficult to disentangle.

I agree about the overlap comment, there is often overlapping purpose or more specifically conflict in the name of one matter but really for the other matter.

I chose religion however I'm reconsidering. Much conflict is in the name of religion but is often for other reasons. Religion equates control and empires have used religion as a tool for control, so is it really for religion or for control?

Mister D
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree about the overlap comment, there is often overlapping purpose or more specifically conflict in the name of one matter but really for the other matter.

I chose religion however I'm reconsidering. Much conflict is in the name of religion but is often for other reasons. Religion equates control and empires have used religion as a tool for control, so is it really for religion or for control?

Sure. Religion is often manipulated for worldly ends. Even the radical Islamist movements have strong pan-Arab and/or nationalist elements to them. I guess it also depends on who we're talking about as well. One faction or group may have different motivations than others while being on the same side. IMHO, wars are often such complex events that trying to single out a root cause is a fool's errand.

MMC
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I went with 3.....Especially with modern day warfare and conflict. But I do agree they over lap. Even with the Arabs Religious Split.....it still all comes down to resources, wealth, power, and Control.

wingrider
01-06-2012, 12:50 AM
short answer,, greedy people

Peter1469
01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I voted #2