PDA

View Full Version : Santorum Backpeddles From Controversial Remark

Conley
01-06-2012, 10:51 AM
The media has basically opened fire on him now:

(CNN) - Rick Santorum said Wednesday he was “tongue-tied” this weekend and didn’t actually say a word that has sparked a firestorm among some in the African-American community.Talking about welfare programs at an Iowa campaign stop on Sunday, the Republican presidential candidate was quoted as saying, “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them someone’s money. I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money.”

The NAACP responded to his statement from Sunday, blasting the former Pennsylvania senator for “singling out” African-Americans as poor.
"Sen. Santorum's targeting of African-Americans is inaccurate and outrageous, and lifts up old race-based stereotypes about public assistance," said the group’s president, Benjamin Todd Jealous, in a statement. "He conflates welfare recipients with African-Americans, though federal benefits are in fact determined by income level.”

But one day after Santorum placed a surprising second to Mitt Romney in the Iowa caucuses, losing by only eight votes, Santorum said the pronouncement of the word was a result of unintentional stammering that simply sounded like the word “black.”
“In fact, I’m pretty confident I didn't say ‘black.’ I started to say a word and sort of mumbled it and changed my thought. I don't recall saying black. No one in that audience heard me say that,” he said.
A review of the video shows Santorum pausing before saying the word, which sounds like "black" but could also be stumbled speech.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/04/santorum-on-controversial-remark-i-was-tongue-tied/

Video is here:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2012/01/04/sot-santorum-blacks-welfare-remark.cnn

---

I watched it and I don't think he said black at all. :laugh:

Mister D
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
What doesn't spark a firestorm in the black community? :rollseyes:

Mister D
01-06-2012, 11:16 AM
It's always the same. So and so was reported to have said such and such and all the lazy, dumb ass partisans believe it wihtout bothering to check for themselves.

MMC
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
What doesn't spark a firestorm in the black community? :rollseyes:

Gang Shootings and crime! :wink:

Mister D
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Gang Shootings and crime! :wink:

:laugh: Yeah, it does seem that way sometimes.