PDA

View Full Version : Church Offers to Mediate Dispute Between Putin and Protesters

Conley
01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has faced mass demonstrations following a December 4 election that protesters and international observers said was marred by fraud and violations.

Despite mounting pressure, Putin is expected to comfortably win a presidential vote in March and return to the Kremlin.

Kirill also warned protesters against what he said was the risk of being manipulated by opposition leaders seeking to seize power for themselves. He said Russia could not risk a repeat of the revolution that swept the communists to power in 1917.

"Then we were unable to preserve balance and wisdom. We destroyed our country," he said. "Why did this happen? Because the fair protests of people are very easily manipulated by those political forces who are fighting for power."

He said the church retained its neutrality in political matters. "Among our congregation are both the people who were at the demonstration and those they were speaking out against, therefore the word of the Church cannot be politicised."

Endorsed by the Kremlin as Russia's main faith, the Orthodox Church has grown increasingly influential since the end of the Soviet era two decades ago. Human rights groups have complained the church's close ties to the state undermine Russia's secularism.

Last month, Kirill warned Russians not to be corrupted by social networking sites, which have spearheaded the organization of the anti-government protests.

President Dmitry Medvedev marked the Orthodox Christmas by attending a midnight mass celebrated by Kirill at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral, while Putin celebrated at a church in his hometown of St. Petersburg.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/01/07/world/europe/international-us-russia-church-protest.html

So Putin himself will be up for reelection in a couple of months. That will probably be the time when either the protests explode or fade away. If there are similar irregularities in the voting process, who knows? He already has some strong competition with Prokhorov.

Mister D
01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
That's pretty cool. The Orthodox Church flexing some muscle. :cool2: :shocked:

MMC
01-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Whaddaya know a Christian Church stepping up to the plate.....wonder how that make the Pope Feel?

Mister D
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Whaddaya know a Christian Church stepping up to the plate.....wonder how that make the Pope Feel?

Popes do a lot already and they have zero authority in the east.

MMC
01-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Popes do a lot already and they have zero authority in the east.

I know that.....which is why I wondered what the Pope was thinking. Since the East was getting involved with Politics.

Mister D
01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I know that.....which is why I wondered what the Pope was thinking. Since the East was getting involved with Politics.

He probably thinks it's a good thing. Certainly not a threat. Why would he think it's bad?

MMC
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
He probably thinks it's a good thing. Certainly not a threat. Why would he think it's bad?

Oh, I didnt mean he thought any ill of it.....as he does the same with Central and South America.

Mister D
01-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I think it's pretty cool myself.

Mister D
01-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Putin, on the other hand, is waving it off. :rollseyes: :grin:

MMC
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
What did they say the temp was at game time? We should have got that from D.

Mister D
01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
It's 44 here and I'm not far from Rutherford as the crow flies.