PDA

View Full Version : Afghan President's Brother Assassinated by Bodyguard

Captain Obvious
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
In what is probably the most corrupt western-backed administration:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/12/official-afghan-presidents-brother-killed/?test=latestnews

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan – President Hamid Karzai's half brother, the most powerful man in southern Afghanistan and a lightning rod for criticism of corruption in the government, was assassinated Tuesday by a close associate. His death leaves a dangerous power vacuum in the south just as the government has begun peace talks with insurgents ahead of a U.S. withdrawal.

Ahmed Wali Karzai, the head of the Kandahar provincial council, was shot to death while receiving guests at his home in Kandahar, the capital of the province that was the birthplace of the Taliban movement and was the site of a recent U.S.-led offensive.

Mister D
07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, this is bad. This regime is riddled with corruption but it's f'n Afghanistan. Why didn't anyone expect this?

Captain Obvious
07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
They were running a story on Afghan politics this morning in light of this story. According to that segment, the corruption is so bad there, it's widely considered acceptable and a part of doing business there.

Alienating corruption is a mystery to them.

MMC
07-12-2011, 08:37 PM
In what is probably the most corrupt western-backed administration:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/12/official-afghan-presidents-brother-killed/?test=latestnews

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan – President Hamid Karzai's half brother, the most powerful man in southern Afghanistan and a lightning rod for criticism of corruption in the government, was assassinated Tuesday by a close associate. His death leaves a dangerous power vacuum in the south just as the government has begun peace talks with insurgents ahead of a U.S. withdrawal.

Ahmed Wali Karzai, the head of the Kandahar provincial council, was shot to death while receiving guests at his home in Kandahar, the capital of the province that was the birthplace of the Taliban movement and was the site of a recent U.S.-led offensive.

LOL I told people over a year ago That The Taliban in the South would go after Karzai's brother. He was nothing but a drug-lord anyways. This screwball has been stealing from us the Whole time anyways. IMO despite the vacuum, this will wake Karzai's Ass up. Now lets see him talk all this shit about the US anymore. I say let the Taliban Kill Karzai and we may be able to end the shit and pull-up. Damn that bs of involving us into their way of life and culture. Not that I agree with what they do to woman. But such is not our right to change any of their shit up anyways.

Mister D
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
They were running a story on Afghan politics this morning in light of this story. According to that segment, the corruption is so bad there, it's widely considered acceptable and a part of doing business there.

It is in many parts of the world. It's built in to their way of life. I suppose I'm speaking from a western perspective though. Nepotism and clientage are just accepted in some places as the way things are done. I just don't understand how the neocons thought they could transform this culture overnight.

Captain Obvious
07-12-2011, 08:43 PM

It is in many parts of the world. It's built in to their way of life. I suppose I'm speaking from a western perspective though. Nepotism and clientage are just accepted in some places as the way things are done. I just don't understand how the neocons thought they could transform this culture overnight.

Exactly.

What GW was thinking about when he went into Iraq is beyond me. I understand the need to go into Afghanistan, but with both Iraq and Afghanistan, absent a total commitment from other countries, there should have been a clear and measurable exit strategy.

Hindsight is 20/20 no doubt, but I wonder what was discussed in the war room as to the long term impact of these moves. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall there.

MMC
07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes.....the Neo-Cons always manage to show their incompetance in never having an Exit Strategy. Once again History Leads the Way. Once again the Con's fail to take note!

Mister D
07-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Exactly.

What GW was thinking about when he went into Iraq is beyond me. I understand the need to go into Afghanistan, but with both Iraq and Afghanistan, absent a total commitment from other countries, there should have been a clear and measurable exit strategy.

Hindsight is 20/20 no doubt, but I wonder what was discussed in the war room as to the long term impact of these moves. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall there.

Nation building in a place like Iraq has, IMHO, better prospects than Afghanistan. Yeah, I sometimes wonder if they knew full well that this would be a long commitment (and lied to the American public) or if they really were that clueless.

I mean it's just disturbing to think that we could have such idealists running this country. It's going to take at least a generation to establish a western democratic foothold in the Afghani consciousness if it happens at all.

freecell
07-12-2011, 08:53 PM

That doesn't surprise me.

MMC
07-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes we already had like 100million come up missing for the Electrical infrastructure with Afghanistan by another of Karzai's Ministers. We did nothing about it. Also as Afghanistan ha no banking system or credit card services, insurances. Guess who is setting this all up as well.