PDA

View Full Version : Big Government FDA and DEA Clash Over Medication

Conley
01-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Medicines to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are in such short supply that hundreds of patients complain daily to the Food and Drug Administration that they are unable to find a pharmacy with enough pills to fill their prescriptions.

The shortages are a result of a troubled partnership between drug manufacturers and the Drug Enforcement Administration, with companies trying to maximize their profits and drug enforcement agents trying to minimize abuse by people, many of them college students, who use the medications to get high or to stay up all night.

Caught in between are millions of children and adults who rely on the pills to help them stay focused and calm. Shortages, particularly of cheaper generics, have become so endemic that some patients say they worry almost constantly about availability.

While the Food and Drug Administration monitors the safety and supply of the drugs, which are sold both as generics and under brand names like Ritalin and Adderall, the Drug Enforcement Administration sets manufacturing quotas that are designed to control supplies and thwart abuse. Every year, the D.E.A. accepts applications from manufacturers to make the drugs, analyzes how much was sold the previous year and then allots portions of the expected demand to various companies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/health/policy/fda-is-finding-attention-drugs-in-short-supply.html

Once again, the bloated federal government tries to protect us from ourselves :rollseyes: and harms those most in need. DC always think it knows best.

Mister D
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
So I guess they are just underestimating demand? Why not just double the figure?

Conley
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Well the artificial shortage keeps prices high but they claim it is because they don't want the drug to be abused. Which might hold water except that many drugs can be abused (painkillers :wink:, tranquilizers, etc.). This has been a problem for a while and the government doesn't seem to be willing or able to address it.

Mister D
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Well the artificial shortage keeps prices high but they claim it is because they don't want the drug to be abused. Which might hold water except that many drugs can be abused (painkillers :wink:, tranquilizers, etc.). This has been a problem for a while and the government doesn't seem to be willing or able to address it.

People need these for a psychological condition I'm much less sympathetic to the government that I might other wise be. Pain killers are easily abused. I guess I "abuse" them :laugh: but how many people are going to take
these meds recreationally?

Elibe
01-09-2012, 09:45 PM
you walk into any pharmacy anywhere else in the world and you can buy all sorts of basic drugs without a prescription

the reason a prescription is needed is so that the whole health industry (doctors, drug companies, and so forth) can control the price

Mister D
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm not so cynical. We also have silly alcohol laws but they aren't based on profit. That said, I we agree with you both that there need to be some serious changes.

Peter1469
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
The vast majority of people on these drugs should be happy that there is a shortage- they should ween themselves off of them as they don't need them.

Conley
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
The vast majority of people on these drugs should be happy that there is a shortage- they should ween themselves off of them as they don't need them.

That's true and I agree with it, but the pharmacists aren't in the business of only giving the drug to those who are sickest. There are some who really need the drugs and they're being denied access.

Mister D
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM

Good point. You really don't want to grow dependent on meds. They should be used when truly needed.

roadmaster
01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Let me try to explain something. I have three ruptured dics in my back and three failed back surgery’s. I was on pain meds after each surgery. I try to keep myself in shape to strengthen my back. Nerve pain like this is like no other. I would gladly go through 10 births in a row than one day of this pain. Am I on pain meds? NO but if I turn wrong, step wrong or pick up something wrong which I am very careful and I go through hell until I get a prescription. The only way I can explain this pain is if anyone has ever had a bad toothache that wouldn’t stop throbbing. Image that down your back to your feet and it doesn’t stop. I am strong for my size and had a smile on my face having my kids. I know it’s been a while since I had to ask for pain meds (around a year) but I don’t want the government telling me or restricting pain meds for people who need them. When you know first hand sorry, this is a very serious topic for me.

roadmaster
01-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Oh and by the way, I hurt my back years ago in a hospital while working. I wish I could go back in time.

Conley
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm not so cynical. We also have silly alcohol laws but they aren't based on profit. That said, I we agree with you both that there need to be some serious changes.

But alcohol couldn't be regulated like because it had always been around. Alcohol as you know has the potential for addiction and great harm as well. So, since they can't control it, they tax the heck out of it.

Conley
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh and by the way, I hurt my back years ago in a hospital while working. I wish I could go back in time.

I am very sorry that happened to you - that sounds excruciating. I have had some back pain at various points that shoots down into my leg and I can imagine how painful it could be. Thankfully mine got better after a month or two.

Your story is a very good argument for why the system often fails those who need it most. Meanwhile junkies can just go to their dealers and pushing the business underground just drives up their profits.

Elibe
01-09-2012, 11:05 PM

i don't intend to sound cynical

roadmaster
01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I am very sorry that happened to you - that sounds excruciating. I have had some back pain at various points that shoots down into my leg and I can imagine how painful it could be. Thankfully mine got better after a month or two.

Your story is a very good argument for why the system often fails those who need it most. Meanwhile junkies can just go to their dealers and pushing the business underground just drives up their profits.
Thanks, if I could go back I would have never helped two young people and a nurse who were moving a patient. I ran over there to help because they were dropping her. The 275 pound person ended up on me holding her. She couldn't walk, paralyzed. The next morning I couldn't stand straight.
Doing better now but wish I hadn't been there.

MMC
01-10-2012, 12:44 AM
you walk into any pharmacy anywhere else in the world and you can buy all sorts of basic drugs without a prescription

the reason a prescription is needed is so that the whole health industry (doctors, drug companies, and so forth) can control the price

You are correct there Elibe.....only in the US is it different. Although, we have more safeguards for children when it comes to prescribed meds.

But hey if the FDA is looking for a supply. Have them start contacting the Police Stations across this country as most around Urban cities have plenty of Ritalin and Adderall they have confiscated from kids running around and selling such.

Thing that kills me is that Adderall was a diet pill they gave women in the 50's. ADHD.....what a scam that is!

Peter1469
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I think that everyone here agrees that people who really need the meds should have access. The concern is over the over- prescription of the meds.

wingrider
01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks, if I could go back I would have never helped two young people and a nurse who were moving a patient. I ran over there to help because they were dropping her. The 275 pound person ended up on me holding her. She couldn't walk, paralyzed. The next morning I couldn't stand straight.
Doing better now but wish I hadn't been there.

I hear that medical marijuana just might be what you need.. if you live in a state that has it you might check it out.

Conley
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Obama is sending his goons out all across the country to shut the clinics down.

MMC
01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
How much do helicopters cost in Costa Rica? :laugh: Cuz if one needs to get away from an island. Such is your only chance in a disaster.

Mister D
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
This Costa Rica thing is sounding better and better. :cool2:

wingrider
01-11-2012, 12:17 AM
How much do helicopters cost in Costa Rica? :laugh: Cuz if one needs to get away from an island. Such is your only chance in a disaster.

ummmm... MMC Costa rica is not an Island .. you can drive to it if you can get through mexico and all the customs between here and there.

http://drivemeloco.com/dml-guide/index.php

Conley
01-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Yep, he might be thinking of Puerto Rico?

wingrider
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
:blowup:
This Costa Rica thing is sounding better and better. :cool2:

dang it my friend you are stealing my thunder,, and the thunder god isn't happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UNLwrh8bwg

Conley
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
:laugh: Captain America and PFC Costa Rica

roadmaster
01-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I hear that medical marijuana just might be what you need.. if you live in a state that has it you might check it out.
They haven't passed it here. I am not sure it would take nerve pain away, but then again believe it or not even in my wild college days never smoked it. Drank but no drugs.

wingrider
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
They haven't passed it here. I am not sure it would take nerve pain away, but then again believe it or not even in my wild college days never smoked it. Drank but no drugs.

just thought I would mention it.. I hear that it does wonders for just exactly the type of pain you have..

roadmaster
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
just thought I would mention it.. I hear that it does wonders for just exactly the type of pain you have..
I hear is does with cancer patients, and you are probably right.

wingrider
01-11-2012, 12:38 AM
http://backandneck.about.com/od/chronicpainconditions/i/medmar.htm

Research examining the risks and benefits of marijuana use for pain has made strides in recent years. As of July 2010, not all the questions have been answered, but a number of influential medical associations are beginning to issue statements in support of marijuana and its derivatives for pain management.