PDA

View Full Version : Boehner, Cantor Turned Down Chance to Speak at March Anniversary

Cigar
08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Speaker John A. Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the House’s two most senior Republicans, were invited to speak at the 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington — but declined.

That wasn’t a wise choice, said Julian Bond, a renowned civil rights activist, in an interview with MSNBC on Wednesday afternoon.

“What’s really telling, I think, is the podium behind me, just count at the end of the day how many Republicans will be there,” Bond told news anchor Alex Wagner. “They asked senior President Bush to come, he was ill. They asked junior Bush, he said he had to stay with his father.

“They asked a long list of Republicans to come,” Bond continued, “and to a man and woman they said ‘no.’ And that they would turn their backs on this event was telling of them, and the fact that they seem to want to get black votes, they’re not gonna get ‘em this way.”

Read more: http://blogs.rollcall.com/goppers/boehner-cantor-turned-down-chance-to-speak-at-march-anniversary/

Either they don't like what the March stood for, or they were just too afraid of the fringe right. Sad either way.

Hummm ... which one do you think it is ... :rollseyes:

keymanjim
08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Either they don't like what the March stood for, or they were just too afraid of the fringe right. Sad either way.

Hummm ... which one do you think it is ... :rollseyes:
Or, they went to another commeration of their fellow Republican.

Why wasn't Sen, Tim Scott, the ONLY African American in the Senate, not invited to the rally? Is it because he has an "R" after his name?

Cigar
08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Or, they went to another commeration of their fellow Republican.

Why wasn't Sen, Tim Scott, the ONLY African American in the Senate, not invited to the rally? Is it because he has an "R" after his name?

Do you have any information that he wasn't?

I'll wait.

patrickt
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
And President Bush turned down an "opportunity" to appear on Chris Mathews program. Gov. Palin turned down a chance to appear on Bill Maher's show. George Zimmerman chose not to appear on the Rev. Al Sharpton's program. And Boehner and Cantor chose not to appear at a racist gathering purporting to honor the Rev. M.L. King.

peoshi
08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Do you have any information that he wasn't?

I'll wait. Moron!

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), the only black person serving in the U.S. Senate, was not invited speak at Wednesday’s event commemorating the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic march on Washington. There were, however, a number of Democratic lawmakers who were invited to appear.

A spokesman for Scott confirmed to the Washington Examiner that the senator “was not invited to speak at the event

Mainecoons
08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Funny, though, they didn't invite the only black U.S. Senator in America. Do you suppose that might have had something to do with the fact that he's a Republican?

:grin:

Cigar
08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
FEAR ... it's a terrible thing to live in ...

Sure am glad I'm a Progressive Liberal :laugh:

peoshi
08-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Living in ignorance is even worse...sure am glad I!m not blunt.