Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 04:28 PM
My favorite fruit is a cucumber.

Chris
08-29-2013, 04:34 PM
That's corny.

roadmaster
08-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Is the tomato. Home grown tomatoes are the best. I too love them even by themselves. Use to love to cook fried green ones too, but had to quit the fried stuff. Also, loved that movie Fried green tomatoes.

Matty
08-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Home grown tomatoes are the best. I too love them even by themselves. Use to love to cook fried green ones too, but had to quit the fried stuff. Also, loved that movie Fried green tomatoes.

Yep! Love a fresh tomato sandwich.

Adelaide
08-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I personally love asparagus and bok choy and spinach and brussels sprouts and snow peas and... basically anything green.

roadmaster
08-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I personally love asparagus and bok choy and spinach and brussels sprouts and snow peas and... basically anything green. Now I do like spinach and Brussels sprouts, never and I know where I am from, liked turnips,collards or apple pie.

roadmaster
08-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Yep! Love a fresh tomato sandwich. Me too with mayo and watermelon.

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Now I do like spinach and Brussels sprouts, never and I know where I am from, liked turnips,collards or apple pie.

I like all of the above except turnips, though I don't mind them roasted. Collards are good when butter and lemon is added - I don't care for them with bacon or pork fat.

oceanloverOH
08-29-2013, 05:56 PM
For many summer meals, we don't have meat. I steam some fresh just-picked-that-day corn on the cob from the local corn farms, slice up some tomatoes (or pick a bunch of cherry tomatoes) from our garden, and add a side of cottage cheese. One of my favorite meals! As far as tomatoes go, our favorite is yellow tomatoes........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The only vegs I won't eat are turnips, collards, brussels sprouts, and black-eyed peas. I love all other vegetables, especially fresh and steamed till just crisp/tender.

Adelaide
08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Me too with mayo and watermelon.

My parents used to make tomato and peanut butter sandwiches. I never ate them. Grossed me out. They swore it was good. I swore they had lost their minds.

roadmaster
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
My parents used to make tomato and peanut butter sandwiches. I never ate them. Grossed me out. They swore it was good. I swore they had lost their minds. My dad would dip fried chicken into peanut butter. Don't know how he ate it. I was the only one that didn't eat like most in the south and didn't like ice cream or sweets:laugh: . Tomato sandwiches are good tho.

Matty
08-29-2013, 07:13 PM
I like all of the above except turnips, though I don't mind them roasted. Collards are good when butter and lemon is added - I don't care for them with bacon or pork fat.

down here we grow peppers, hot peppers and make a pepper sauce, it has to gel for around two years, great on collards, I like a nice French white wine vinegar on them too

Mister D
08-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Turnip greens are great over linguine, garlic, and olive oil.

Mister D
08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Is the tomato.

That's actually a fruit in botanical terms.

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
down here we grow peppers, hot peppers and make a pepper sauce, it has to gel for around two years, great on collards, I like a nice French white wine vinegar on them too
Never tried them with hot sauce, but it sounds interesting. Would tabasco or Franks work?

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Turnip greens are great over linguine, garlic, and olive oil.
They don't sell turnip greens at my grocers - however I've done rapini that way over pasta.

Mister D
08-29-2013, 07:27 PM
They don't sell turnip greens at my grocers - however I've done rapini that way over pasta.

I have these here.

http://www.gloryfoods.com/products/ready-to-use-cook-fresh-produce/turnip-greens/

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
I have these here.

http://www.gloryfoods.com/products/ready-to-use-cook-fresh-produce/turnip-greens/

Wish we did, but I guess they aren't popular in my area.

Matty
08-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Never tried them with hot sauce, but it sounds interesting. Would tabasco or Franks work?

No look for a pepper sauce in a vinegar base. I'll try to find some examples.

Matty
08-29-2013, 08:02 PM
That's actually a fruit in botanical terms.

Yes but did you know that in 1863 the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that "by law tomatoes are a vegetable."

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes but did you know that in 1863 the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that "by law tomatoes are a vegetable."

LOL. That is remarkable. SCOTUS should inform the botanists.

jillian
08-29-2013, 08:12 PM

that's b/c they were trying to say tarrifs didn't apply to tomatoes since they were "basically a fruit". so for purposes of the tarriff regulations they said it was to be treated more as a vegetable and taxed. :)

but the court never could un-do the science of it.

same as they can't make a corporation a person. :)

Mister D
08-29-2013, 08:14 PM

In culinary terms, it is a vegi.

Mister D
08-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Wish we did, but I guess they aren't popular in my area.

Pre-washed and cut. $2.99 a bag. nutritional powerhouse.

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 08:22 PM
No look for a pepper sauce in a vinegar base. I'll try to find some examples.Perhaps if acid is added with the pepper sauce it could accomplish the same thing?

Mister D
08-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I would get a lettuce spinner to dry fresh greens but why bother for that price? I'll get them pre-washed.

Venus
08-29-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not much of a veggie person but I do love juicing.

Today I juiced carrots, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, kale, parsley, and celery

It taste a little earthy.

Matty
08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
that's b/c they were trying to say tarrifs didn't apply to tomatoes since they were "basically a fruit". so for purposes of the tarriff regulations they said it was to be treated more as a vegetable and taxed. :)

but the court never could un-do the science of it.

same as they can't make a corporation a person. :)

or obamacare a TAX.

jillian
08-29-2013, 08:52 PM
or obamacare a TAX.

right... which it isn't. :)

Chris
08-29-2013, 09:22 PM
or obamacare a TAX.

That was nuts.

But nuts are fruits.

Dr. Who
08-29-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm not much of a veggie person but I do love juicing.

Today I juiced carrots, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, kale, parsley, and celery

It taste a little earthy.
Add some pineapple - most of the juicing recipes require the addition of some fruit to make it palatable. Pineapple is pretty popular.

Ma60
08-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Dang, now I'm hungry!
I love tomato sandwiches with a slice of cheese.

Matty
08-30-2013, 05:01 AM
Dang, now I'm hungry!
I love tomato sandwiches with a slice of cheese.

Pepper Jack

Ma60
08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Pepper Jack

And mayo...don't forget the mayo!

strollingbonez
08-30-2013, 07:54 AM
dukes is the only mayo to use...

okra, i really like it....green beans, squash, maters, sweet yellow corn

jillian
08-30-2013, 07:57 AM

dukes must be something you can get only regionally, because i've never heard of it. we grew up with hellman's.

i like brussels sprouts (cooked pretty much any way), cauliflower, broccoli, string beans, pretty much anything except okra and i only like asparagus if they're the really thin ones.

Venus
08-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Add some pineapple - most of the juicing recipes require the addition of some fruit to make it palatable. Pineapple is pretty popular.

Thanks

I will have to give it a try.

Matty
08-30-2013, 08:59 AM

hhhmmmmm I love me some fried okra, and the rest of the stuff too.

Matty
08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
dukes must be something you can get only regionally, because i've never heard of it. we grew up with hellman's.

i like brussels sprouts (cooked pretty much any way), cauliflower, broccoli, string beans, pretty much anything except okra and i only like asparagus if they're the really thin ones.

Same here JIllian. IT's got to be Hellman's or nothing at all. Olive oil Hellman's

Matty
08-30-2013, 09:03 AM

vinegars and hot peppers (https://www.google.com/search?q=vinegars+and+hot+peppers&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=t6UgUtiRE4-osAStyYDgAQ&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=860)

oceanloverOH
08-30-2013, 09:08 AM
For those who like asparagus, here's how I serve it with turkey on Thanksgiving....it's always a big hit with my guests:

Holiday Asparagus Wraps
(can be prepared the night before and just heated for serving)

18 spears fresh asparagus (24 if pencil-thin spears)
½ (8 ounce) tub whipped chive and onion cream cheese, softened
½ pound thinly sliced prosciutto or black forest ham (have butcher put slices between wax paper for ease in separating)
Garlic powder
Pam spray
Extra-virgin olive oil

Trim off thick woody ends from asparagus and discard. Boil asparagus spears lightly in just enough water to cover, for about 1-2 minutes; then plunge in large bowl of ice and water to stop cooking process (this preserves the beautiful green color). Drain and blot dry with paper towels. Thinly spread the prosciutto slices with cream cheese, sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Wrap slices around 3 larger asparagus spears (4 spears if pencil-thin). Store covered in fridge overnight if necessary. When ready to heat, preheat oven to 450°. Spray cookie sheet or baking dish with Pam. Arrange wrapped bundles in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil, especially the tips. Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven, until asparagus is tender and ham is cooked but not too crispy.

Serves 6.

Dr. Who
08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
vinegars and hot peppers (https://www.google.com/search?q=vinegars+and+hot+peppers&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=t6UgUtiRE4-osAStyYDgAQ&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=860)

So it would work with chopped hot pickled peppers - I make some of those myself.

Venus
09-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks Who! I used gala apples last time I juiced my veggies, sweeter than what I'm used to but overall I liked it.