PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Roast Beef

oceanloverOH
09-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Everyone, it seems, has their own special recipe for a roast beef cooked in the crockpot. Here's mine:

Ocean's Crockpot Roast Beef
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 8-10 hours
•2-3 lb chuck pot roast (the flat kind works best)
•2 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce (this is important; IMO it’s the difference between a good crockpot roast and an awesome crockpot roast. It’s a small 4 oz brown bottle with a yellow cap, usually found in the grocery near the barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, etc.)
•Lawry’s Garlic Pepper (spice area of grocery, jar with red cap)
•½-1 large yellow onion, chopped
•1 can cream of mushroom soup
•Optional: ½ lb baby carrots, halved lengthwise
•Optional: ½ lb tiny red potatoes with peel, scrubbed and halved/quartered
•Optional: 1 jar (4.5 oz) Green Giant sliced mushrooms (if you like mushrooms in your gravy)
•2 tsp cornstarch blended with 2 tsp cold tap water (only if needed to thicken gravy)

Paint roast liberally on both sides with Kitchen Bouquet Sauce using pastry brush. This gives the roast a “browner” flavor and makes the gravy superb.

Sprinkle roast very generously with Garlic Pepper (really coat it good if you like garlic) on both sides.

Place roast in crockpot. Place chopped onions on top of roast. Dump can of soup on top of onions and spread a bit to cover. Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.

Note: If I'm going to use carrots and/or potatoes, I add them around the sides of the roast about 6 hours before roast is done (they tend to get too mushy if added at the start of cooking time).

Carefully remove meat from crockpot to covered dish to keep warm (it will be so fork-tender it will likely fall to pieces as you remove it). If you added carrots/potatoes, remove them now with a big slotted spoon.

Gravy: every roast beef puts out different amounts of liquid. If juices seem thick enough to be gravy after removal of roast, then add optional jar of mushrooms, turn crockpot to HIGH and simmer for 10 minutes. If juices seem a bit thin, add cornstarch/water mixture to juices, mix well, then add mushrooms and simmer (more cornstarch/water mixture can be added if needed, 2 tsp at a time). Refrigerate gravy and meat in separate covered containers for leftovers.

Makes about 1 serving per ½ lb of meat.

Peter1469
09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Sounds yummy!

Common
09-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I do mine different OC but basically the same. I brown on high heat the roast on all sides, I believe it brings out much more flavor. I add thick sliced onions then cover them with water put the roast in the slow cooker add more water and drop in two low salt beef bouillion cubes. Add halved garlic cloves, fresh crushed pepper and some dehydrated diced onion and I let it go, I have no timers I let it go until my fork almost falls through the meat. Oops I forgot I add redskin patatoes and if not available I cube golden or idahos. Fantastic winter belly filler

oceanloverOH
09-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I do mine different OC but basically the same. I brown on high heat the roast on all sides, I believe it brings out much more flavor. I add thick sliced onions then cover them with water put the roast in the slow cooker add more water and drop in two low salt beef bouillion cubes. Add halved garlic cloves, fresh crushed pepper and some dehydrated diced onion and I let it go, I have no timers I let it go until my fork almost falls through the meat. Oops I forgot I add redskin patatoes and if not available I cube golden or idahos. Fantastic winter belly filler

If you get the chance, Common, do try your recipe with the addition of Kitchen Bouquet. You could coat the roast with KB then sear it. See if you like the flavor.........I swear by Kitchen Bouquet for flavoring meat and gravies.

Common
09-07-2013, 02:15 PM
If you get the chance, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), do try your recipe with the addition of Kitchen Bouquet. You could coat the roast with KB then sear it. See if you like the flavor.........I swear by Kitchen Bouquet for flavoring meat and gravies.

Ok OC I certainly will try it :)

roadmaster
09-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Use to be my favorite food. Mom would always make this when she knew I was coming home with fresh beans and peas and tomatoes on the side. Oh but had to skip the onions.:grin: I still don't like them.