PDA

View Full Version : Ironic effects of anti-prejudice messages

Mister D
07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Organizations and programs have been set up all over the globe in the hopes of urging people to end prejudice. According to a research article, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, such programs may actually increase prejudices.

Lisa Legault, Jennifer Gutsell and Michael Inzlicht, from the University of Toronto Scarborough, were interested in exploring how one's everyday environment influences people's motivation toward prejudice reduction.

The authors conducted two experiments which looked at the effect of two different types of motivational intervention – a controlled form (telling people what they should do) and a more personal form (explaining why being non-prejudiced is enjoyable and personally valuable).

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-07/afps-ieo070711.php

Mister D
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
On a similar note I've read that it is familiarity that breeds prejudice not ignorance.

MMC
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
There are all kinds of little prejudices.....Urban vs Rural, Country vs City, North vs South, East Coast vs West Coast, Gangs vs Gangs, Ethnicity vs Ethnicity, Culture vs Culter. Americans vs foreigners, sports teams vs sports teams, schools vs schools.

Familiarity or being a part of something. Seems that which is created comes with such.

waltky
04-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Uncle Ferd thinks when he don't get a job, is `cause dey's prejudiced against him...
:shocked:
The tiny ways prejudice seeps into the workplace
9 April 2018 - Microaggressions are everyday slights and indignities some people encounter all the time - while others aren’t even aware they’re committing them.

To a female CEO: “Can I speak with your boss?” To a man who’s a nurse: “Wow, you don’t see many male nurses.” To an LGBTQ intern: “Huh, you don’t sound gay.” To a non-white colleague – in a mostly white office: “So, where are you from? …No, I mean, where are you really from?” To a mixed-raced person: “What are you?" Welcome to the world of microaggressions: brief queries, comments or actions sprinkled throughout day-to-day life that make others – particularly those in marginalised groups – feel bad about themselves.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live/624_351/images/live/p0/63/f7/p063f784.jpg
A speaker at a rally in Ireland that sought to bring attention to racism in the workplace

A slow accumulation of these microaggressions can lead to low self-esteem, feelings of alienation and eventually even mental health issues, researchers warn. They can also create a toxic work environment. There are steps you can take to handle these delicate situations – whether you’re on the receiving end, or you’re the one unknowingly doling them out.

Where microaggressions can happen

Unlike hate speech, microaggressions are not intended to be malicious, even though the impact might be. But they don’t have to be spoken. They can be tiny actions, too – ones that most onlookers might not even notice, let alone describe as offensive. Not sitting next to someone on a train, for example. Or interrupting someone during a meeting, or assuming someone speaks the same language as you because you’re the same race – or assuming they don’t because they’re not the same race – or gawking at people who look different as they walk past.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live/624_351/images/live/p0/63/f6/p063f6wd.jpg
Graffiti outside the University of London on One Day Without Us and the UN World Day of Social Justice early last year

It makes the people experiencing the aggression feel different, weird, someone to be suspicious of, or even feared. “When a student says to me, ‘Dr Sue, I really liked that presentation – oh and by the way, your English is very good,’ my comment is: ‘thank you, I hope so – I was born here,” says Derald Wing Sue, a professor of psychology and education at Columbia University in New York City. He’s Asian-American and was born in Portland, Oregon.

Why are they damaging? (http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180406-the-tiny-ways-youre-offensive---and-you-dont-even-know-it)

Mini Me
04-10-2018, 09:28 AM
HATERS do not want to give up their hate. It gives them the illusion of superiority over imagined lessors.