PDA

View Full Version : The Internet isn’t making us dumb. It’s making us angry

Chris
09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
I think Michael Gazzaniga (see ) would support the opening thesis below, we are rewiring our brains and that can affect evolutionary selection.

Some of the hate and rage expressed, and just as often falsely ascribed, even on this forum supports the second thesis.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/16/the-internet-isnt-making-us-dumb-its-making-us-angry/?hpid=z13]The Internet isn’t making us dumb. It’s making us angry (]Brains Are Automatic, But People Are Free[/url)

There's a strain of thought that because of the way Internet culture has changed the way we work and play, we're now a different people, neurologically. We don't just behave differently because of the Internet; we think differently, too.

The scientific jury is still out on that count. But if the Internet does have a role to play in making us more anything, a handful of Chinese researchers have concluded that it's "more angry."

In a study of 70 million posts on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, Rui Fan and a team of others at Beihan University tracked the spread of joy, sadness, anger and disgust across the social network. According to the MIT Technology Review, they found that angry tweets were far more likely to be retweeted by others — or be the subject of angry responses — up to three degrees away from the original user.

Joy, disgust and sadness weren't nearly as influential over others, the researchers learned....

roadmaster
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I think sometimes it does make people angry. Not talking about disputes here but knowing what's going on in different places, we hear and see more these days. As a kid we would only have the local newspaper and most of what was going on outside of our town or state wasn't in it. Would watch the news on TV but not everyday.

Chris
09-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Sort of information overload, and events we can do little about.

Ravi
09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Reading the Op's posts, yeah, I can see that. Not even mentioning confirmation bias.