PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz Infuriates House Republicans By Conceding Defeat On Obamacare Repeal

Common
09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
So in other words the House Gop is pissing up a rope

House Republicans are fuming at Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for conceding that the party's efforts to repeal Obamacare aren't going anywhere in the Senate -- and leaving the House to keep fighting over it anyway.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/ted-cruz-obamacare-house-republicans_n_3950901.html

Singularity
09-19-2013, 01:06 AM
They're mad because they all know it's a giant waste of time, with absolutely no possible practical gain (except on a purely political basis) to be had.

The way it is supposed to work is, the House will posture until the last possible moment before the country's stability careens off a cliff. At which point they cry that between the Senate and the President they have "accomplished" everything imaginable and fold, laying the blame for any psychological or credibility-damage at Obama's feet.

Ted Cruz just made that plan, such as it is, significantly harder. Of course they are peeved. It's all they got.

ptif219
09-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Cruz just told the American public that Reid and Obama are obstructing the delay of Obamacare. The public doesn't want it and this will not help democrats

Common
09-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Obviously you didnt read the article

Matty
09-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Ted Cruz was interviewed last night on Hannity. He's calling for the Senate Republicans to stand with the House Republicans to de fund obamacare. He has a very compelling argument. Obummercare is the worst thing to ever hit the USA. 97% of all new hires are now part time.

Matty
09-19-2013, 06:34 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/index.html#http://video.foxnews.com/v/2680782691001/are-republicans-closer-to-defunding-obamacare/?playlist_id=86924

countryboy
09-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Ted Cruz was interviewed last night on Hannity. He's calling for the Senate Republicans to stand with the House Republicans to de fund obamacare. He has a very compelling argument. Obummercare is the worst thing to ever hit the USA. 97% of all new hires are now part time.
That is so weird because the OP says that Huffpo says that Cruz says he has conceded defeat. I cannot, no, I WILL NOT, believe that Huffpo would ever mischaracterize something a Republican said. The Huffpo is a great American.

jillian
09-19-2013, 07:23 AM
So in other words the House Gop is pissing up a rope

House Republicans are fuming at Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for conceding that the party's efforts to repeal Obamacare aren't going anywhere in the Senate -- and leaving the House to keep fighting over it anyway.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/ted-cruz-obamacare-house-republicans_n_3950901.html

wow... cruz told the truth about something? cool.

jillian
09-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Cruz just told the American public that Reid and Obama are obstructing the delay of Obamacare. The public doesn't want it and this will not help democrats

obstructing the delay?? i so hope you were laughing when you posted that because it's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard a politician say.

Matty
09-19-2013, 07:27 AM

But HuffPost didn't

jillian
09-19-2013, 07:28 AM
But HuffPost didn't

you can disagree all you want with their editorials. their fact check is pretty good...

the right really doesn't like facts.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 07:29 AM
First, let's get it straight what he said. It came out a little garbled.

Then go from there.

Matty
09-19-2013, 07:32 AM
you can disagree all you want with their editorials. their fact check is pretty good...

I saw the interview, I heard what the man said not what HuffoPosto thinks he said. I posted a link, you should try listening sometime. open your mind to possibilities

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't see anything in the HuffPo piece that is incorrect or inconsistent with Cruz's previous stance. He is telling the house that defunding ObamaCare won't pass the Senate.

That is hardly some sort of stunning revelation.

I'm with the folks who think this activity is both futile and misdirected. Not because ObamaCare is great legislation that is bound to be a success. Quite the contrary, it is a bomb in the heart of progressivism and we need to encourage it to blow up.

Matty
09-19-2013, 07:37 AM
I don't see anything in the HuffPo piece that is incorrect or inconsistent with Cruz's previous stance. He is telling the house that defunding ObamaCare won't pass the Senate.

I'm with the folks who think this activity is both futile and misdirected. Not because ObamaCare is great legislation that is bound to be a success. Quite the contrary, it is a bomb in the heart of progressivism and we need to encourage it to blow up.

They'll find a way to NOT TAKe Responsibility for a stupid law, just the way they did with Fannie and Freddie. Meanwhile the country is going to suffer mightily from their stupid law that they all passed before they'd even read it. They (the congress) know it sucks too otherwise they wouldn't excuse thenselves and their staffers from living under obummercare.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 07:44 AM
OK Jillian, I read the HuffPo story and I watched the video and I didn't see where Cruz put it the way HuffPo represented it.

Care to address that?

ptif219
09-19-2013, 10:08 AM

You are justifying Reid being an obstructionist

ptif219
09-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Cruz speaks truth Obama lies about the GOP

ptif219
09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
obstructing the delay?? i so hope you were laughing when you posted that because it's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard a politician say.

Really? Reid has blocked all kinds of bills from the house. Under Reid we have seen no budget passed in the senate for 4 years

ptif219
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

The liberals don't like facts. The ones talking government shutdown are Obama and the democrats not the GOP

ptif219
09-19-2013, 10:15 AM

I say do it let the democrats shutdown the government and see if they can get the people to believe their lie or if the people will look at facts and tell democrats to work with GOP. Notice there is no bill or fix from the democrats. The democrats want to shutdown the government.

bladimz
09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
The liberals don't like facts. The ones talking government shutdown are Obama and the democrats not the GOP

"We haven't even taken up the bill and Ted Cruz is admitting defeat?" fumed one senior GOP aide. "Some people came here to govern and make things better for their constituents. Ted Cruz came here to throw bombs and fundraise off of attacks on fellow Republicans. He's a joke, plain and simple."
http://goo.gl/gLzy1GThis is no mischaracterization by HuffPo; this is a direct quote from a GOP aide. They are so pissed at him and rightly so.

Ransom
09-19-2013, 11:04 AM
They're mad because they all know it's a giant waste of time, with absolutely no possible practical gain (except on a purely political basis) to be had.

The way it is supposed to work is, the House will posture until the last possible moment before the country's stability careens off a cliff. At which point they cry that between the Senate and the President they have "accomplished" everything imaginable and fold, laying the blame for any psychological or credibility-damage at Obama's feet.

Ted Cruz just made that plan, such as it is, significantly harder. Of course they are peeved. It's all they got.

It's not a giant waste of time. It makes new and current members vote and make their positions known on this bill heading into 2014 elections......and then when this thing implodes and/or doesn't work.....we'll know exactly who to blame. You idiots.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 11:07 AM
This is no mischaracterization by HuffPo; this is a direct quote from a GOP aide. They are so pissed at him and rightly so.

Ah, but where did Cruz say this? He didn't say it in the Hannity interview as near as I can tell.

If he did say it, it is simply a statement of reality. Reid isn't going to let the House continuing resolution go to a vote. He'll strip the part about ObamaCare and send it back.

bladimz
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I say do it let the democrats shutdown the government and see if they can get the people to believe their lie or if the people will look at facts and tell democrats to work with GOP. Notice there is no bill or fix from the democrats. The democrats want to shutdown the government.
I don't quite get that you think the Dems are driving a decision for a government shutdown? This threat has come specifically and only from the GOP.

bladimz
09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Ah, but where did Cruz say this? He didn't say it in the Hannity interview as near as I can tell.

If he did say it, it is simply a statement of reality. Reid isn't going to let the House continuing resolution go to a vote. He'll strip the part about ObamaCare and send it back.I don't see anywhere that Cruz has come out and denied that he said it. That should take care of any doubts.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 11:26 AM
No, it doesn't.

Chris
09-19-2013, 11:55 AM

This is no mischaracterization by HuffPo; this is a direct quote from a GOP aide. They are so pissed at him and rightly so.

I read it, it's more faux rage. Emotive words like "infuriates" and "fumes" are used instead of "said." And "House Republicans" instead of two aides. Two aides said something about what Cruz said. OMG!!!

jillian
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I read it, it's more faux rage. Emotive words like "infuriates" and "fumes" are used instead of "said." And "House Republicans" instead of two aides. Two aides said something about what Cruz said. OMG!!!

it's an accurate representatation in both form and spirit of what was said.

do you really think the aids spoke to the press on their own?

really?

Chris
09-19-2013, 01:32 PM

really?

It's an emotional exaggeration. Really.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 01:47 PM
That's "aides" Jillian and this article is a very good example of how HuffPo takes news and slants it to the left.

Matty
09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't quite get that you think the Dems are driving a decision for a government shutdown? This threat has come specifically and only from the GOP.
link it bud.

Ransom
09-19-2013, 02:06 PM
It's in Harry Reid's Court now, those talking the talk can walk the walk....and then we'll have an election.

jillian
09-19-2013, 02:32 PM

because you said so, chris? the politics of it is what the politics are. and i have no doubt they're livid with him.

Mainecoons
09-19-2013, 02:36 PM
No Jillian, because it relies on hearsay from secondary sources and embellishes it with slanted language designed to suck in the uncritical.

Like yourself.

ptif219
09-19-2013, 04:54 PM

No Obama will do it if the GOP does not do what he wants

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/appropriations/323307-obama-threatens-to-veto-house-cr

ptif219
09-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't see anywhere that Cruz has come out and denied that he said it. That should take care of any doubts.

Maybe this will help you

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/359007/ted-cruz-punches-back-robert-costa

“Harry Reid will no doubt try to strip the defund language from the continuing resolution, and right now he likely has the votes to do so,” Cruz said. “At that point, House Republicans must stand firm, hold their ground, and continue to listen to the American people.”Of course, Cruz’s acknowledgement of the near-impossibility of passing a defunding bill through the Democratic-controlled Senate is an accurate reading of political reality. But House Republicans didn’t care; they were apoplectic with Cruz not only for laying the responsibility for defunding on them, but for making them seem weak. “If Cruz doesn’t help us in the Senate to pass a defunding bill, we’ll end up having to pass a normal CR,” complains a veteran House Republican. “It’ll be pathetic, but I expect him to slam us for it.”
House insiders say a handful of House Republicans cursed Cruz in the cloakroom on Wednesday, and a leadership source says angry e-mails were exchanged among GOP staffers who consider Cruz to be a charlatan. “Cruz keeps raising conservatives’ hopes, and then, when we give him what he wants, he doesn’t have a plan to follow through,” an aide fumes. “He’s an amateur.” Another aide says, “Nancy Pelosi is more well-liked around here.”
Cruz, however, tells me House Republicans are wrong to be infuriated. In an interview, he says his goal was never to whip together votes in the Senate for a defunding bill; it was always to inspire a grassroots uprising that would rattle Congress and President Obama, and hopefully defund Obamacare.
“I’m convinced there is a new paradigm in politics — the rise of the grassroots,” Cruz says. He cites Senator Rand Paul’s filibuster on drone policy, and the debates on Syria and gun control, as recent examples of how an “overwhelming” number of phone calls and e-mails from constituents can force the president to buckle.
“And on Obamacare, I’ve said, from the start, that if typical Washington rules apply, we can’t win this fight,” he explains. “If the forums in which we make this case consist of the smoke-filled rooms of Washington, the votes aren’t there. The only way this fight will be won is if the American people rise up and hold our elected officials accountable.”
Cruz says he “salutes” Boehner and House Republicans for moving forward with a vote on defunding, but he stands by his belief that one vote this week isn’t enough. “When I say the House needs to stand strong, it’s because the fight will be won or lost in the House of Representatives,” he says. “I can’t win this fight, and Mike Lee can’t win this fight,” but he believes the House GOP can.
Cruz’s advisers agree, and Chip Roy, his chief of staff, has pushed back hard against Cruz’s House critics. “Senator Cruz is doing what he said he would do when he came to Washington,” Roy tells me. “He promised to do everything he can to stop Obamacare before it begins hurting real people and further harms our economy.”
“His staff is working with whomever we can to achieve that goal, including House and Senate staff,” Roy adds. “For every story about a staffer grumbling behind the scenes, there are dozens of staffers who tell us how excited they are Senator Cruz is standing up to business as usual.”

Chris
09-19-2013, 05:02 PM

really?

because you said so, chris? the politics of it is what the politics are. and i have no doubt they're livid with him.

No, for the reasons I gave and you failed to address.