PDA

View Full Version : My Name Is Jason, I’m A 35-Yr-Old White Male Combat Veteran…and I’m On Food Stamps

Cigar
09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
My name is Jason. I turned 35 less than a week ago. My first job was maintenance work at a public pool when I was 17. I worked 40-hours a week while I was in college. I’ve never gone longer than six months without employment in my life and I just spent the last three years in the military, one of which consisted of a combat tour of Afghanistan.

Oh, and I’m now on food stamps. Since June, as a matter of fact.

Why am I on food stamps?

The same reason everyone on food stamps is on food stamps: because I would very much enjoy not starving.

I mean, if that’s okay with you:

…Mr. or Mrs. Republican congressman.

…Mr. or Mrs. Conservative commentator.

…Mr. or Mrs. “welfare queen” letter-to-the-editor author.

…Mr. or Mrs. “fiscal conservative, reason-based” libertarian.

I do apologize for burdening you on the checkout line with real-life images of American-style poverty. I know you probably believe the only true starving people in the world have flies buzzing around their eyes while they wallow away, near-lifeless in gutters.

Hate to burst the bubble, but those people don’t live in this country.

I do. And millions like me. Millions of people in poverty who fall into three categories.

Let’s call them the “lucky” category, since conservatives seem to think people on welfare have hit some sort of jackpot:

Those living paycheck to paycheck? They’re a little lucky.

Those living unemployment check to unemployment check? They’re a little luckier.

Those living 2nd of the month to 2nd of the month? *ding* We’ve hit the jackpot!

The 2nd of the month being the time when funds gets electronically deposited onto the EBT card, for those who’ve never been fortunate enough to hit that $175/month Powerball.

I fall into the latter two categories. But I’ve known people recently - soldiers in the Army – who were in the first and third. They were off fighting in Afghanistan while their wives were at home, buying food at the on-post commissary with food stamps.

And nobody bats an eye there, because it’s not uncommon in the military.

It’s not uncommon – nor is it shameful. It might be shameful how little service-members are paid, but that’s a separate issue.

The fact remains anyone at a certain income level can find it difficult from time to time to pay for everything. And when you’re poor you learn to make sacrifices. Food shouldn’t be one of them.

The whole concept is Un-American. People living here, in the greatest country on Earth, with the most abundant resources, should be forced to go hungry because of the intellectual notion of fiscal conservatism and the ideological notion of self-reliance.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I didn’t risk my life in Afghanistan so I could come back and watch people go hungry in America. I certainly didn’t risk it so *I* could come back and go hungry.

http://thesterlingroad.com/2013/09/19/my-name-is-jason-im-a-35-yr-old-white-male-combat-veteran-and-im-on-food-stamps/

Bravo Jason, and thank you for your service.

Mister D
09-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Hate to burst the bubble, but those people don’t live in this country.

That's right, Jason. That kind of poverty doesn't exist in this country.

patrickt
09-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Another TPP from Cigar. Jay Kirell does write a nice letter, though.

Cigar
09-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Auto-Denial

http://i50.tinypic.com/rroy0n.jpg

peoshi
09-20-2013, 03:58 PM
For someone who is unemployed and on food stamps he sure has a lot of free time on his hands, he has articles all over the internet.

I wonder if the following could have something to do with his "inability" to find work.

on September 18, 2013 in Essays

By Jay Kirell

By all measure, I’m the type of person who would not be questioned when purchasing a firearm in America.

I’m white.

I’m male.

I’m educated.

I’m an honorably discharged military veteran.

Anyone looking at me in my normal casual attire – Old Navy shirts and jeans – would assume I’m just like anyone else interested in firearms. Maybe I want to own a gun to keep my shooting skills sharp. Maybe I want something for home protection. Maybe I just want to own a gun just to own a gun and don’t feel the need to provide a further explanation.

Nothing about my outward appearance would send up a red flag. Likewise, nothing in my background would send a warning to anyone trying to sell me a firearm.

And that’s the problem. Because I shouldn’t, by any reasonable measure, own a firearm.

I have post-traumatic stress disorder. It was diagnosed from the VA a few months ago and it was caused by the things I experienced in Afghanistan. Horrible things. Visions of death, violence, pain, agony.

Visions that I can’t stop from entering my head when I don’t want them to. Memories of events long over that your brain hasn’t figured out aren’t still happening.

The reasons I have these visions aren’t my fault. I didn’t ask for them to occur and certainly didn’t ask them to linger. But even though the damaged state of my brain is not of my doing, I am responsible for how I prevent it from becoming someone else’s problem.

And step one is to recognize that my right to own a gun is outweighed by the public’s right to have as few people as possible with mental problems walking around with hand-held death machines

peoshi
09-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Notice how he admits he has mental problems,cigar?

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Jason is an idiot. Perhaps Jason would love to trade his American-Style poverty with European/Asian property.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 04:07 PM
European style poverty? Wot's that then? You say your location is London and New York, how is our poverty in the UK worse than that of the States? I think people have all of Europe confused for Greece.

peoshi
09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Here is the link where he admits to having mental issues if anyone is interested:
http://rdrevilo1.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/take-my-guns-please/

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 04:14 PM
European style poverty? Wot's that then? You say your location is London and New York, how is our poverty in the UK worse than that of the States? I think people have all of Europe confused for Greece.

Explain how UK style poverty is better. Last time I checked, the Euro-Zone was struggling. Not just Greece.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Explain how UK style poverty is better. Last time I checked, the Euro-Zone was struggling. Not just Greece.

I've not said it was better. I've said in the UK it is no worse. I also commute back and forth between London and New York. Don't see much difference that you can call us out as though we're Haiti or Afghanistan. I see homeless people on the street in both cities. The only difference I see is that we have public treatment for both medical and psychiatric services, and a longer benefits programme for the out of work. Our house sizes are smaller, but I'm not certain that we need McMansions as you do. Can you describe the poverty of the UK for me?

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 04:28 PM
I've not said it was better. I've said in the UK it is no worse. I also commute back and forth between London and New York. Don't see much difference that you can call us out as though we're Haiti or Afghanistan. I see homeless people on the street in both cities. The only difference I see is that we have public treatment for both medical and psychiatric services, and a longer benefits programme for the out of work. Our house sizes are smaller, but I'm not certain that we need McMansions as you do. Can you describe the poverty of the UK for me?

You've already described UK-Style Poverty. What you don't have is the understanding of American-Style Poverty and if you don't believe it's different, then you are obviously not taking the time to look. Or at least research.

Cellphones, Air Conditioning, Satellite Television, Personal Computers, Internet Access and generally more than enough to eat. These luxuries and many more, available to your American poverty stricken.

That's American-Style Poverty for you.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
You've already described UK-Style Poverty. What you don't have is the understanding of American-Style Poverty and if you don't believe it's different, then you are obviously not taking the time to look. Or at least research.

Cellphones, Air Conditioning, Satellite Television, Personal Computers, Internet Access and generally more than enough to eat. These luxuries and many more, available to your American poverty stricken.

The lads who stand outside where I catch the 5 and 6 in New York City don't have cell phones, air conditioning, etcetera. They do have shopping carts, sleeping bags, and assorted items they've collected. Agreed tho that you're quite fortunate in the States tho some do not always feel that way.

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 04:38 PM
The lads who stand outside where I catch the 5 and 6 in New York City don't have cell phones, air conditioning, etcetera. They do have shopping carts, sleeping bags, and assorted items they've collected. Agreed tho that you're quite fortunate in the States tho some do not always feel that way.

I don't deny that some have it worse off, but being poverty-stricken in America is comparable to living like a King in most parts of the world. The America is one of the most generous countries to live in. Too many blokes around here take their rights and opportunities for granted.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't deny that some have it worse off, but being poverty-stricken in America is comparable to living like a King in most parts of the world. The America is one of the most generous countries to live in. Too many blokes around here take their rights and opportunities for granted.

Very true, it's not Somalia, but what does that really mean? No one says to someone who's husband cheated on them, well, at least he doesn't hit you. No one says to someone who has heart disease, well, at least it's not pancreatic cancer.

peoshi
09-20-2013, 05:05 PM
And no sane person blames repubs for it when the government was controlled by democrats when he was deployed, and by democrats when he returned.

Mr Happy
09-20-2013, 05:12 PM

BS. Links please. Don't get me wrong, there are probably people who consider themselves poor and have those things, but there are a shit load who don't...

Mainecoons
09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/01/astonishing-numbers-americas-poor-still-live-better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Images/Reports/2011/07/b2575/b2575_chart1600px.ashx?w=600&h=586&as=1

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/01/astonishing-numbers-americas-poor-still-live-better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Images/Reports/2011/07/b2575/b2575_chart1600px.ashx?w=600&h=586&as=1

That's 2005 before your economy collapsed and took all the rest of us with it.

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 05:27 PM
BS. Links please. Don't get me wrong, there are probably people who consider themselves poor and have those things, but there are a shit load who don't...

Is this knowledge based on people you actually know personally or your research of the worse off among us?

http://www.eia.gov/consumption/residential/data/2009/index.cfm#undefined

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/h150-09.pdf

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 05:28 PM

I have more recent figures.

peoshi
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Here is an excerpt from another article penned by Jay titled

Checkmate. How Obama outsmarted Putin,Assad, and the media:

"The stage has never been larger for the President, who is still considered a beloved figure around the world, regardless of his current stance on Syria within the United States."

Sounds like he's just another Obama fart-sniffer like cigar to me.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 05:50 PM
I have more recent figures.

Excellent, let's see the 2013 figures or at the very least 2012.

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 06:20 PM
That's not how surveys work. At least not when they're this extensive. These particular types of surveys are not released annually, and are computed within a particular research cycle. Every two years the HUD and Census releases an American Housing Survey. The more recent Housing Survey was released in April 2013, for 2011. Although it wasn't released in a PDF form like the 2009 edition.

http://www.census.gov/housing/ahs/data/national.html

And the Energy Information Administration releases Residential Energy Consumption Surveys once every four years. 2009 is the most recent survey.

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 06:25 PM
That's not how surveys work. At least not when they're this extensive. These particular types of surveys are not released annually, and are computed within a particular research cycle. Every two years the HUD and Census releases an American Housing Survey. The more recent Housing Survey was released in April 2013, for 2011. Although it wasn't released in a PDF form like the 2009 edition.

http://www.census.gov/housing/ahs/data/national.html

And the Energy Information Administration releases Residential Energy Consumption Surveys once every four years. 2009 is the most recent survey.

Right you're making my point. The economy collapsed in October of 2008. It would take 2-5 years for you to see the actual damage in statistical reports. Data from 2009 still had positives from the housing bubble.

peoshi
09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
What exactly is your point regarding the original topic?

peoshi
09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
If Jay got on food stamps the same month he returned home it doesn't sound like he looked very hard for job,does it?

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Right you're making my point. The economy collapsed in October of 2008. It would take 2-5 years for you to see the actual damage in statistical reports. Data from 2009 still had positives from the housing bubble.

Everything is based on a cycle year. Which means all the data gather for the survey is taken into consideration up until the preliminary release. Whatever happens after is really not relevant.

peoshi
09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
This will be my last post since this thread has obviously turned into a pissing contest about who is poorer between the US and Europe.

Amazon does have a point...this man is not poor.

How many truly poor in either country have their own website(he owns the one cigar linked to),their own twitter accounts,Facebook page(although he has taken it down). He said he has never been without employment more than six months in his whole life...he still hasn't.

He states he left the army in the summer of 2013...and has been on food stamps since June.

He has written articles for newspapers and magazines including the Baltimore sun and Newsweek if he is to be believed.

Do you think this guy is poor?

Paperback Writer
09-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Everything is based on a cycle year. Which means all the data gather for the survey is taken into consideration up until the preliminary release. Whatever happens after is really not relevant.

Reports are based on a cycle year, but the effects of a major collapse will not be fully realised for years after. George Bush became president after the dot com bubble burst and saw a period of recession that was not his fault, but a leftover from the late 90s that wasn't immediately fully realised. The same was true for Obama only there was not a significant recovery. Some of that cannot be blamed on him because the size of the October 13, 2008 collapse was much larger, but some can because he's an economic ignoramus.

BB-35
09-20-2013, 07:46 PM
hmmmmm,jason

jayson blair?

Mr Happy
09-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Is this knowledge based on people you actually know personally or your research of the worse off among us?

http://www.eia.gov/consumption/residential/data/2009/index.cfm#undefined

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/h150-09.pdf

What does the census say? As if I'm going to read a 175 page document....

No, what I am saying is that there are some real poor people in the US, who don't have cable, who don't have big screen televisions. That is what I am saying..

AmazonTania
09-20-2013, 10:58 PM
What does the census say? As if I'm going to read a 175 page document....

Which is why I create graphs, but if you must know I'll give you an example.

The census, along with the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, just shows us the obvious. There are over 130 million households in America, and only 4% of households lack complete kitchen facilities (Page 17), which is well below the total amount of poverty stricken in the United States. Only 2% of households lack some sort of basic plumbing (Page 18) Also very few Americans have water which is unsafe for drinking. Most of all, a good majority of Americans have an AC unit, warm-air furnace has their main heating equipment, automobiles, telephones available, among other luxuries (Page 22). The Survey is full of interesting information. It pretty much shows that this is the norm of being an American.

The Residential Energy Consumption Survey is where it gets down to the nitty gritty. It surveyed 16.9 million homes below the poverty line. 12.8 million of these homes have an Air Conditioning unit. That is 75% of poverty stricken homes with air condition. You'll also learn that 98.2% of poverty stricken homes have a television. Pretty standard these days I guess, but 70% of these households have 3 television sets or more. 37% have a television larger than 37". 34% have either a LCD or Plazma television, which is pretty fancy if I do say so myself.

Poverty stricken in the United States is not considered poverty anywhere else on Earth. Which is why I find it very difficult to empathise with those who are suffering here.

No, what I am saying is that there are some real poor people in the US, who don't have cable, who don't have big screen televisions. That is what I am saying..

I agree, but they are not the norm when it comes to American poverty. If anything, the statistics shows that they are in a very small minority.

Mainecoons
09-21-2013, 08:32 AM

I seriously doubt they got rid of all their stuff.

BTW, half of the "poor" also own their own homes in America.

Give it up, point is proved. If you want to see real poverty, pay me a visit and I'll take you to a local village beyond the end of the paved road here.

Young people don't have a clue about what real poverty is let alone what it was like in the U.S. 60 years ago versus now. Then, I could have taken you to that village at the end of the road in the U.S.

The point being that we don't need any more poverty programs, we need to remove the roadblocks to investing in America and employing people. Those roadblocks all come from government. As a result, the place that used to be the best place in the world has slipped to tenth and will continue to fall unless some of you wake up and realize that enough is enough.

Despite the fact, though, that you young people are the ones getting screwed the worst by progressivism, you seem to be stuck in clueless about it.

Good luck, you all are really going to need it.