PDA

View Full Version : Obamascare

peoshi
09-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Andy and Amy Mangione of Louisville, Ky. and their two boys are just the kind of people who should be helped by ObamaCare. But they recently got a nasty surprise in the mail.

"When I saw the letter when I came home from work," Andy said, describing the large red wording on the envelope from his insurance carrier, "(it said) 'your action required,benefit changes, act now.' Of course I opened it immediately."

It had stunning news. Insurance for the Mangiones and their two boys,which they bought on the individual market, was going to almost triple in 2014 --- from $333 a month to $965.

The insurance carrier made it clear the increase was in order to be compliant with the new health care law.

"This isn't a Cadillac plan, this isn't even a silver plan," Mangione said, referring to higher levels of coverage under ObamaCare.

"This is a high deductible plan where I'm assuming a lot of risk for my health insurance for my family. And nothing has changed, our boys are healthy-- they're young --my wife is healthy. I'm healthy, nothing in our medical history has changed to warrant a tripling of our premiums.

"Well I'm the one that does the budget,” said his wife. "Eventually I've got that coming down the pike that I gotta figure out what we're gonna cut what we're gonna do, to afford a $1,000 a month premium."

Their insurance company, Humana, declined to comment, but the notice to the Mangiones carried this paragraph:

" If your policy premium increased, you should know this isn't unique to Humana -- premium increases generally will occur industry-wide.

"Increases aren't based on your individual claims or changes in health status," it continued. "Many other factors go in to your premium including: ACA compliance, including the addition of new essential health benefits."

ACA, of course, is the abbreviation for the President's new law, the Affordable Care Act -- which for the Mangiones will be anything but affordable because the law adds a new tax on every insurance policy and requires a list of additional benefits the Mangiones didn’t want to pay for.

Robert Zirkelbach, spokesman for American Health Insurance Plans, which represents insurers,explained that "for people who currently choose to purchase a high deductible, low premium policy that's more affordable for them, they are now being required to add all these new benefits to their policy.

That," he says, "is also going to add to the cost of their health insurance premiums."

This comes amid a huge debate over whether ObamaCare will raise or lower insurance rates.

For the Mangiones, that answer is abundantly clear.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/23/one-man-obamacare-nightmare/

Expecting cigars usual "tick-tock" nonsense shortly.:rollseyes:

roadmaster
09-23-2013, 09:16 PM
from $333 a month to $965.
Wow that's going to hurt. Insurance companies are crooks and this didn't have to happen. Just like banks that charge fees knowing they can get away with it.

GrassrootsConservative
09-23-2013, 09:17 PM
There's that "change" Obama was talking about.

$600 a month worth of change.

AmazonTania
09-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Insurance companies are merely reacting to the economics of the situation.

Mainecoons
09-23-2013, 09:19 PM

jillian
09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
There's that "change" Obama was talking about.

$600 a month worth of change.

interestingly, that isn't anywhere close to what the numbers are projected to be.

i wonder how hard fakenews had to work to get that story.

the way insurance costs go down is by participation vis the mandate.... you know, the part the wingers have been shrieking about ... specifically because it does exactly what it's supposed to.

roadmaster
09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
You mean they didn't have to, just want more profit.

jillian
09-23-2013, 09:24 PM

that's pretty much correct...

jillian
09-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Using a highly complex simulation model, the actuaries estimate that if the Affordable Care Act were fully carried out by 2014, the average claims cost per member per month in Ohio’s nongroup risk pools would rise from an estimated pre-A.C.A. level of $223 (Figure S-2 (http://cdn-files.soa.org/web/research-cost-aca-report.pdf), Page 8) to the post-A.C.A. level of $406, an 82 percent increase, assuming no expansion of Medicaid in Ohio. The increase in systemwide total health spending in Ohio brought on by the Affordable Care Act, however, is estimated to be only 3.2 percent.Aside from the fact that the minimally accepted package of essential benefits under the Affordable Care Act will be more generous and costly than many of the much leaner policies traditionally sold in the nongroup market, that canleave people exposed (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/03/junk-health-insurance/index.htm) to high financial risk (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120934207044648511.html), a major driver of the projected cost increase — one explicitly flagged by the actuaries — is a projected change in the risk profile of the insured in Ohio’s nongroup market.The Society of Actuaries projects that the number of individuals insured in that market will increase from the pre-A.C.A. level of 415,000 to the post-A.C.A. level of one million. Many of these newly insured are projected to be relatively sicker individuals who had been excluded from Ohio’s nongroup market, either because they could not afford the high premiums they were quoted, based as these were on the individual’s health status; or because insurers had refused them coverage outright; or because they were in the state’s high-risk pool.Just last week Julie Appleby of the Kaiser News Network reported (http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2013/June/28/individual-insurance-market-affordable-care-act.aspx) on the tribulations that individuals had routinely experienced in the current, pre-A.C.A. nongroup market.The proponents of the Affordable Care Act should not deny that with this simulated change in the risk profile of Ohio’s nongroup insurance market — which may or may not come about — a switch from medically underwritten premiums to community-rated premiums (http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/premium-shock-and-premium-joy-under-the-affordable-care-act/?_r=0), coupled with a richer benefit package, could significantly raise premiums for healthy individuals with higher incomes who are not entitled to substantial federal subsidies or any at all. The Ohio Insurance Department’s news release certainly drives home that point.On the other hand, for projected new entrants into Ohio’s nongroup market who are relatively less healthy, the community-rated premiums even before federal subsidies are most likely to be significantly lower than their medically underwritten pre-A.C.A. premiums — if they had been offered coverage at all. A forthright news release would have mentioned that positive outcome as well.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/confusing-the-public-on-the-affordable-care-act/

and, of course, there's this:

those amounts do not reflect the total budgetary impact of the ACA. That legislation includes many other provisions that, on net, will reduce budget deficits. Taking the coverage provisions and other provisions together, CBO and JCT have estimated that the ACA will reduce deficits over the next 10 years and in the subsequent decade. (We have not updated our estimate of the total budgetary impact of the ACA since last summer; for that most recent estimate, seeLetter to the Honorable John Boehner providing an estimate for H.R. 6079, the Repeal of Obamacare Act (http://www.cbo.gov/publication/43471).)

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44176

Dangermouse
09-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Not so much Obama"scare" as routine keeping the fear alive.

jillian
09-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Not so much Obama"scare" as routine keeping the fear alive.

the man i work for calls it "adversity pimping".

The Xl
09-23-2013, 09:38 PM

This was a bill for insurance companies.

peoshi
09-23-2013, 09:39 PM
interestingly, that isn't anywhere close to what the numbers are projected to be.

i wonder how hard fakenews had to work to get that story.

the way insurance costs go down is by participation vis the mandate.... you know, the part the wingers have been shrieking about ... specifically because it does exactly what it's supposed to.This isn't projected,Jillian...this man is experiencing it first-hand.

If you can prove he's lying then do so...you posting shit about "projections" from others isn't doing that.

AmazonTania
09-23-2013, 09:50 PM

These people don't have to pay the premiums and the same retrospect the business doesn't have to charge the price. Businesses don't have to earn a profit, but that is essential for their operations. No profits = no business.

That's just simple economics.

Green Arrow
09-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Yes, PPACA was the biggest handout to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries in our history. Of course the insurance industries are preparing to cash in on their new gift.

peoshi
09-23-2013, 11:15 PM
The "projections and estimates" are nothing more than speculation.

How do you project or estimate something you have no data on?

When you have no idea how many are going to comply...choose to pay the fine...or simply tell the government to go f***k themselves how is it anything other than a guess?

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Wow that's going to hurt. Insurance companies are crooks and this didn't have to happen. Just like banks that charge fees knowing they can get away with it.

actually all plans are required to cover certain things 100%

High deductible plans covered nothing until your deductible was met. now it has to cover certain tests and procedures 100%

where did you think that the money was going to come from????

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 02:40 AM

there profits are regulated under the ACA the are mandated to pay out a percentage of the premiums

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 02:45 AM
This isn't projected,Jillian...this man is experiencing it first-hand.

If you can prove he's lying then do so...you posting shit about "projections" from others isn't doing that.

Liberals would never take responsibility for their own healthcare so it is not likely that many liberals take the high deductible insurance plan.

This keeps cost down, but you have to save to cover your medical costs. Libs hate that, they are entitled to medical care don't you know.

So the answer for this family is to not carry insurance. and pay the fine, which will be much less than 300 a month. if the get sick or have an accident they go on-line and purchase insurance, and use this insurance until the situations it is needed for passes, and then go back to paying the fines.

This is the only way that families are going to be able to afford to get through this.

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Yes, PPACA was the biggest handout to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries in our history. Of course the insurance industries are preparing to cash in on their new gift.

A gift?

How about you start a car insurance company that allows people to get in a accident before they buy your insurance, however once they buy your insurance you have to fix their car? Think you can turn a profit.

the ACA also regulates their profits. And is designed to put them out of the healthcare business. they are preparing for the end, not a beginning?

Cigar
09-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Looks to me like all the Dumbass are the one having problem with change ...

Have fun on October 1st 2013

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Looks to me like all the Dumbass are the one having problem with change ...

Have fun on October 1st 2013

Don't have too, I got a waiver from fearless leader? Guess he was scared of what would happen if he actually taxed the shit out of business, not he is passing those taxes on the poor and middle class, right were the democrats always place it

Green Arrow
09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
A gift?

How about you start a car insurance company that allows people to get in a accident before they buy your insurance, however once they buy your insurance you have to fix their car? Think you can turn a profit.

the ACA also regulates their profits. And is designed to put them out of the healthcare business. they are preparing for the end, not a beginning?

Yes, right-wing sources are saying that, but it's not actually borne out in the evidence. The insurance and pharmaceutical industries actually backed Obamacare and lobbied for its passing. Why would they do that if it was so terrible for them?

zelmo1234
09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes, right-wing sources are saying that, but it's not actually borne out in the evidence. The insurance and pharmaceutical industries actually backed Obamacare and lobbied for its passing. Why would they do that if it was so terrible for them?

Because single payer puts them out of the business all together

AmazonTania
09-24-2013, 04:51 PM

It's only terrible for small pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. It also terrible for small businesses.

Green Arrow
09-24-2013, 05:06 PM
It's only terrible for small pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. It also terrible for small businesses.

Small companies, yes. Big ones, no.

Green Arrow
09-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Because single payer puts them out of the business all together

Not true.

AmazonTania
09-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Small companies, yes. Big ones, no.

That's what I said...