PDA

View Full Version : Obama Rejects Keystone XL

Conley
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The Obama administration rejected a bid to expand the controversial Keystone oil sands pipeline Wednesday, saying the deadline imposed by congress did not leave sufficient time to conduct the necessary review.
"The rushed and arbitrary deadline insisted on by Congressional Republicans prevented a full assessment of the pipeline's impact, especially the health and safety of the American people, as well as our environment," Obama said in a statement.

The pipeline may not be dead though. The State Department, which was tasked with issuing the permit, said "the Department's denial of the permit application does not preclude any subsequent permit application or applications for similar projects."
The 1700-mile long pipeline expansion, intended to carry crude oil from Canada's oil sands to the U.S. Gulf Coast, has become a lightening rod in American politics.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/18/news/economy/keystone_pipeline/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1

Bad for the American people but great news for the House of Saud.

MMC
01-18-2012, 04:52 PM
The loss of thousands of jobs.....and the Canadians stated they would give it to China then. Guess Obama and the Demos thinks having the Chinese running around back and forth in Canada around our border is a good thing. All for the sake of political posturing over Election Time.

Although we already get most of our Oil from Canada.....your right the Sunni get to keep that big shit-eating grin right on their faces!

Course now Obama and MS media will be able to divert attention from his other failures so as to talk about this issue. As technically it was a non issue or suppose to be.....until after the election. I thought he was going to wait. Another lie!

Conley
01-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, I remember that too. He said he was going to wait. Obama breaks another promise. :angry:

roadmaster
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Well actually that’s one of the smartest moves I have seen Obama make. The route was wrong and it did put many in jeopardy especially in Nevada. He knows if he had said yes the problems he would have in Canada by the natives, and US natives and he doesn’t want this right before election and the Republicans know this. So he will postpone this as long as necessary. Will it happen, Yes, the pipeline will be approved but he is going to make sure it looks like he did everything necessary to prevent spills therefore making the Republicans look dumb and please the environmentalist at the same time to get support on the upcoming election. Like I said I am for the pipeline, just a different route but even with that it’s going to be a mess and many protestors are going to get hurt and locked up. You have to remember they the government plans on going right threw the reservations epically First Nations in Canada, then in South Dakota. In Canada they know the Yellow River has had 12 spills in the last 12 months.

Conley
01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Well actually that’s one of the smartest moves I have seen Obama make. The route was wrong and it did put many in jeopardy especially in Nevada. He knows if he had said yes the problems he would have in Canada by the natives, and US natives and he doesn’t want this right before election and the Republicans know this. So he will postpone this as long as necessary. Will it happen, Yes, the pipeline will be approved but he is going to make sure it looks like he did everything necessary to prevent spills therefore making the Republicans look dumb and please the environmentalist at the same time to get support on the upcoming election. Like I said I am for the pipeline, just a different route but even with that it’s going to be a mess and many protestors are going to get hurt and locked up. You have to remember they the government plans on going right threw the reservations epically First Nations in Canada, then in South Dakota. In Canada they know the Yellow River has had 12 spills in the last 12 months.

I don't want anyone to be hurt by the pipeline, but what about the coal miners in West Virginia? Or the worst environmental disaster we've ever had in Tennessee? There is no perfect solution unfortunately.

roadmaster
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Your are correct but remember Obama is being smart or his advisers right now. Even the pipelines to Asia will start the trouble in Canada. He doesn’t want to be tied to the mess yet. He wants Harper to feel the blunt. My concerns were with the US and Nevada where I think the oil companies were being reckless going over that part where this water services many and with the history of spills they already have in Canada. We all need the jobs here in the US and I am for jump-starting the economy but in Canada a China company owns the rights and will most likely bring in there own workers. If it wasn’t going threw Nevada the way it is and they re-direct the pipe-line to miss that part, I am all for jobs being created here but they do need to be watched and use better precautions over our lands.

But you have to ask yourself why in Nevada. Was it to cut cost? Who in their right mind would attempt this? Too many people depend on this water supply. My only conclusion and I may be wrong was greed and cutting corners.

Conley
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Your are correct but remember Obama is being smart or his advisers right now. Even the pipelines to Asia will start the trouble in Canada. He doesn’t want to be tied to the mess yet. He wants Harper to feel the blunt. My concerns were with the US and Nevada where I think the oil companies were being reckless going over that part where this water services many and with the history of spills they already have in Canada. We all need the jobs here in the US and I am for jump-starting the economy but in Canada a China company owns the rights and will most likely bring in there own workers. If it wasn’t going threw Nevada the way it is and they re-direct the pipe-line to miss that part, I am all for jobs being created here but they do need to be watched and use better precautions over our lands.

But you have to ask yourself why in Nevada. Was it to cut cost? Who in their right mind would attempt this? Too many people depend on this water supply. My only conclusion and I may be wrong was greed and cutting corners.

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you're a lot more knowledgeable about this than I am. I knew fracking was a risk to ground water but I didn't think this pipeline expansion would affect it. Clearly it should run through underpopulated areas.

roadmaster
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks you know I am not an environmentalist and most 95% of the time I am against these people. We should be drilling here in the US and they put too many restrictions and hurt the economy. Many companies have been shut down by them all because of a plant or animal habitat. They get way out of hand and I am with Paul on this one they need to step aside on small issues and have no impact on if a company can get a permit or not. But this time the oil companies went way out of line. They didn’t seem to even care and they know trouble has happened in Canada with spills but willing to take this right over a water system that supplies millions of people.

MMC
01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Of Course this wouldn't even have to be an issue if they would open up drilling here in the US. Shell got approved for those 12 Wells in Alaska. They could open more in the gulf. Not to mention there are probably ways to drill now that are more expensive but safer for all around. Some things those Corporations like to bypass with things that are common sense.

Course this was put up on the table with the raising of the debt ceiling. Which Obama himself was using as a token feather that he might be willing to do something to negotiate to get that debt ceiling raised. Then played it along with no decision until after the election. Now due to abysmal ratings all across the spectrum. he re-nigs on words. thinking all will get lost in the confusion. Course with a little help from his friends the MSMedia.

Jail Nation
01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
"President Obama's decision to reject the Keystone XL crude oil pipeline is as shocking as it is revealing," Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney said in a statement. "He seems to have confused the national interest with his own interest in pleasing the environmentalists in his political base."

Conley
01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Welcome Jail Nation.

So what do you think of Obama's decision?