PDA

View Full Version : Leading from Behind Again?

Cigar
09-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Obama focuses foreign policy on Iran and Middle East peace talks
President Barack Obama reframed U.S. foreign policy priorities on Tuesday by focusing his administration's immediate attention on Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons and the Middle East conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.

"While these issues are not the cause of all the region's problems, they have been a major source of instability for far too long, and resolving them can help serve as a foundation for a broader peace," he said in a 50-minute speech on the opening day of the U.N. General Assembly in New York.
At the same time, Obama challenged the world body to enforce its ban on chemical weapons by agreeing to crack down on Syria -- even militarily -- if the regime of President Bashar al-Assad fails to turn over control of its stockpiles.

"There must be a strong Security Council resolution to verify that the Assad regime is keeping its commitments, and there must be consequences if they fail to do so," he said. "If we cannot agree even on this, then it will show that the U.N. is incapable of enforcing the most basic of international laws."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/24/politics/un-obama-foreign-policy/index.html

So tell us again ... how many decades has it been since talks with Iran? :laugh:

Cigar
09-27-2013, 09:11 AM
http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=steve-benen9A499597-4D0B-E689-02B5-08895AABA7F7.jpg

The fact that the U.S. Secretary of State and the Iranian Foreign Minister sat down for a formal diplomatic conversation represents a step unseen since 1979.

Winning .... :laugh:

roadmaster
09-27-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't see us winning right now. Russia has been sending missiles to Syria and Iran and we trust this person to make sure they are gone. Something isn't right.

Mainecoons
09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Most people are smart enough to know that talks with Iran merely provide them cover to build bombs.

However, our current POTUS is a convergence of equal opportunity and the Peter principal. The Iranians rightly view him and his administration as suckers and weaklings.

Cigar
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Most people are smart enough to know that talks with Iran merely provide them cover to build bombs.

However, our current POTUS is a convergence of equal opportunity and the Peter principal. The Iranians rightly view him and his administration as suckers and weaklings.

I understand your disappointment ... you so wanted to believe what isn't true. :grin:

zelmo1234
09-27-2013, 02:26 PM
You have to understand that to liberals this is a huge step in the right direction they truly believe that if you talk with tyrants you can change them?

They believe that if they can just see how good we are they will start to love and respect the USA. They can't even consider that there are other people in the world that don't think like they do.

Do the Iranians see the as weakness, of course they do, but you will never convince a liberal of that, they would have followed hitler and given him all of Europe. they just don't understand evil

Chloe
09-27-2013, 02:31 PM
What if it's a legitimate and sincere effort by Iran though? There are plenty of countries in the world that the US was once bitter enemies with that now we trade with and visit as tourists and things like that. I realize that there will be skepticism on both sides but what is to be gained by not communicating and taking some steps forward? I don't get it.

kilgram
09-27-2013, 02:31 PM
But Conservative don't have problems to talk with the tyrants of Saudi Arabia.

patrickt
09-27-2013, 04:06 PM
What if it's a legitimate and sincere effort by Iran though? There are plenty of countries in the world that the US was once bitter enemies with that now we trade with and visit as tourists and things like that. I realize that there will be skepticism on both sides but what is to be gained by not communicating and taking some steps forward? I don't get it.

And what if the dinner invitation from Jeffrey Dahlmer was totally innocent? It's possible but I wouldn't count on it and I would prefer having someone representing our country who cares for our country.