PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Voter Registration Act Guarantees Right to Register when Applying For Health Ins

Cigar
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
GOP Furious: 1993 Voter Registration Act GUARANTEES RIGHT TO REGISTER When Applying For Health Ins.http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/VoterSuppression.jpg

One of the main reasons Republicans oppose Obamacare has largely flown under the public’s radar — until now. Here’s the key to understanding the GOP’s typically mean-spirited position: applications for insurance under the Affordable Care Act will also allow people to register to vote. Aha! The picture jumps into focus. Those in our population who are most anxious to sign up for healthcare coverage are the same people who the GOP has worked diligently, in state after state, to disenfranchise. The Affordable Care Act could lay waste to all that conservative effort.

Voters’ Rights groups have been keenly aware of this emerging issue, which is likely to be fought out in court. It became obvious to careful watchers in March, when a draft of the insurance application became public, that it would include the opportunity to register to vote. It was also obvious to those defending the right to vote that this provision is mandated by federal law — specifically by the 1993 National Voter Registration Act. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/08/16/stateline-voting-insurance-exchanges/2664483/) That law, more popularly known as the “Motor Voter Act”, specified that states had to offer voter registration in government offices. That’s why most states currently offer the option to register to everyone who gets a driver’s license.

The draft application got an immediate response from Congressman Charles W. Boustany,(R-Louisiana). As chairman of the House Committee On Ways And Means Subcommittee On Oversight (got that?), Boustany wrote a letter of protest (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/uploadedfiles/obamacare_draft_application.pdf)to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. His objection was supposedly that applicants would be confused and think that voter registration was somehow linked to getting subsidies for their health insurance. Right … because Republicans have been so-o-o concerned that people get all the subsidies to which they are entitled. California eagerly embraced the provision in May, becoming the first state to designate its healthcare exchange as a voter registration agency. (http://www.projectvote.org/blog/2013/05/california-designates-health-exchange-as-voter-registration-agency/) New York and Vermont soon followed, while Connecticut and Maryland recently announced plans to do the same. (http://www.projectvote.org/blog/2013/08/states-designate-new-voter-registration-agencies/) The difficulty, of course, comes from less progressive states. Their argument is over whether the exchanges are really government agencies, to which the 1993 law applies. Lisa Danetz, of the advocacy group Demos, is confident that it does. She says:

However it’s organized, the actions of the exchanges are closely intertwined and are essentially the actions of the state … In the long run, they’re going to be doing it. It’s what the law requires.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/08/16/stateline-voting-insurance-exchanges/2664483/

Progressive groups have raised the concern that the administration might back down on the issue in the face of a strong conservative backlash. However, talkingpointsmemo.com reported on Tuesday (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/white-house-americans-can-register-to-vote-when-signing-up-for-obamacare) that they had received confirmation from a White House spokesman that the administration hasn’t changed its position; the marketplaces fall under the 1993 law and voter registration is “still the plan”.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/26/gop-furious-that-1993-voter-registration-act-guarantees-right-to-register-when-applying-for-health-insurance/

http://anagramballoons.com/images/products/19653.gif I think this one is going to leave a nasty scar :laugh:

Alyosha
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't believe people should be forced to buy healthcare or forced to pay for an ID card so they can vote.

At least I'm consistent.

patrickt
09-27-2013, 12:11 PM
How about people getting insurance who aren't citizens? Do they get registered to vote by the criminals in politics, too?

jillian
09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't believe people should be forced to buy healthcare or forced to pay for an ID card so they can vote.

At least I'm consistent.

you are. and i gave you kudos for that yesterday. you do seem to keep to certain beliefs no matter which "side" they help.

i like that. you're a rarity.

(i'll still probaly only agree with you about 3 things out of 100, but you're definitely not a hypocrite)

Codename Section
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM

At least I'm consistent.

Do you think you need to show ID to use a credit card?

Cigar
09-27-2013, 12:20 PM

At least I'm consistent.

I can't imagine why anyone who could afford Health Insurance at such a low cost ... not get it.

It's like making someone breath ...

jillian
09-27-2013, 12:22 PM

no. you generally don't.

on the other hand, no one who is the head of the GOP of the state of Pennsylvania ever talked about how credit card ID laws cut 5% off of the president's lead in their state.

Alyosha
I can't imagine why anyone who could afford Health Insurance at such a low cost ... not get it.

It's like making someone breath ...

I can't understand why anyone wanting to vote cannot start 6 months ahead of time and do what's necessary to get it down and pay the $15 for a state ID, but...just because I can't doesn't mean I feel it's the job of government to FORCE them to do it.

I don't believe in forcing people to buy anything with their money. That's the difference between you and me.

Cigar

Not if I have paper that says "In God We Trust" :laugh:

Does this God need ID?

Captain Obvious

At least I'm consistent.

Great points - but you aren't against the concept of voter ID as long as the gubmint foots the cost of getting the ID?

Alyosha
09-27-2013, 12:23 PM
you are. and i gave you kudos for that yesterday. you do seem to keep to certain beliefs no matter which "side" they help.

i like that. you're a rarity.

(i'll still probaly only agree with you about 3 things out of 100, but you're definitely not a hypocrite)

Thank you. :)

Cigar
09-27-2013, 12:24 PM
I can't understand why anyone wanting to vote cannot start 6 months ahead of time and do what's necessary to get it down and pay the $15 for a state ID, but...just because I can't doesn't mean I feel it's the job of government to FORCE them to do it.

I don't believe in forcing people to buy anything with their money. That's the difference between you and me.

... and to think just a decade ago Republicans were traveling the country preaching Fiscal Responsibility

Alyosha
09-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Great points - but you aren't against the concept of voter ID as long as the gubmint foots the cost of getting the ID?

Tell you what? When the government holds a bake sale to buy those ID cards for everyone and then distribute them, I'll be for it.

I like brownies, by the way.

Alyosha
09-27-2013, 12:28 PM
... and to think just a decade ago Republicans were traveling the country preaching Fiscal Responsibility [/I]

First, I'm not a Republican. At 18 I voted for Bill Clinton in his second term. When the Patriot Act was pushed through by both parties and I heard this man named Ron Paul speak out against it, I became a libertarian.

Fiscal responsibility is on the part of Americans and government. Americans need to have healthcare choices and options and not be dictated what those options are or how to spend their money.

I'm on the side of "more freedom" than less freedom. That's what it all boils down to. I believe in creative solutions, you believe in government ones.

We're just different.

nic34
09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
How about people getting insurance who aren't citizens? Do they get registered to vote by the criminals in politics, too?

I live in a state that actually has a lot of illegal immigrants, what makes you believe this state can be so politically conservative if they are voting in numbers you think they are?

Now, are you as concerned about those that are eligible to vote?

jillian
09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I live in a state that actually has a lot of illegal immigrants, what makes you believe this state can be so politically conservative if they are voting in numbers you think they are?

Now, are you as concerned about those that are eligible to vote?

once in a great while, politicians will slip and accidentally speak their minds. Jon Ralston, for example, caught (http://www.ralstonreports.com/blog/democratic-2014-turnout-machine-courtesy-pat-hickey#.UkQwCD-An67) Nevada Assembly Minority Leader Pat Hickey's (R) appearance on a conservative radio talk show, and noticed Hickey getting "careless."
"Probably where we had a million voters turn out in 2012; we'll have like 700,000 [in 2014]. A lot of minorities, a lot of younger people will not turn out in a non-presidential year. It's a great year for Republicans!"

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/09/26/20705244-nevada-republican-accidentally-speaks-his-mind

Cigar
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
First, I'm not a Republican. At 18 I voted for Bill Clinton in his second term. When the Patriot Act was pushed through by both parties and I heard this man named Ron Paul speak out against it, I became a libertarian.

Fiscal responsibility is on the part of Americans and government. Americans need to have healthcare choices and options and not be dictated what those options are or how to spend their money.

I'm on the side of "more freedom" than less freedom. That's what it all boils down to. I believe in creative solutions, you believe in government ones.

We're just different.

Few of us will leave this world healthy ... so since getting sick and dieing is a common thing among us humans ... it's a good idea to give people the "freedom" form both getting sick and dieing too soon.

Cigar
09-27-2013, 12:47 PM
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/09/26/20705244-nevada-republican-accidentally-speaks-his-mind
[/INDENT]

If they "Repubs" keep forking with minorities, that can quickly change.

jillian
09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
If they "Repubs" keep forking with minorities, that can quickly change.

the problem is that old white men vote in mid-term elections at way higher rates than women, minorities and young people.

zelmo1234
09-27-2013, 12:52 PM

At least I'm consistent.

Here is a great time for national voter ID A Free one of course, because you can't apply for Obamacare without a photo ID

Which is really funny if you think about it!

Cigar
09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
the problem is that old white men vote in mid-term elections at way higher rates than women, minorities and young people.

Not if they keep doing what their doing ...

jillian
09-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Not if they keep doing what their doing ...

there is that... the little show in texas last time around might just have turned texas purple.

i know my cousin (who has been republican forever) told me he thought that killed the party (although he's praying for chris christie... i told him not to hold his breath).

(did i mention he lives in texas?)

Mister D
09-27-2013, 01:05 PM

So do "old" white women.

jillian
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
So do "old" white women.

but it's not the women with the misogynist agenda.

thing about old women... i recently had to do canvassing here for the primary.. do you have any idea how many older women said to me "i don't know who i'm voting for. my husband will tell me".

i wanted to go through the phone and yell "how stupid are you?"

but i didn't. i said thank you and hung up.

Mister D
09-27-2013, 01:26 PM
but it's not the women with the misogynist agenda.

thing about old women... i recently had to do canvassing here for the primary.. do you have any idea how many older women said to me "i don't know who i'm voting for. my husband will tell me".

i wanted to go through the phone and yell "how stupid are you?"

but i didn't. i said thank you and hung up.

No one has a "misogynist agenda". I honestly find it amazing that you use this kind of extreme rhetoric while calling everyone else extreme.

I'm sorry you feel that "old" women (presumably the 44% of female voters who voted for Romney) are simply too stupid and/or complacent to think for themselves. Of course, those of us who actually do respect women know that they in fact do think for themselves. The problem seems to be that you just don't like what some of them think.

jillian
09-27-2013, 01:27 PM
No one has a "misogynist agenda". I honestly find it amazing that you use this kind of extreme rhetoric while calling everyone else extreme.

I'm sorry you feel that "old" women (presumably the 44% of female voters who voted for Romney) are simply too stupid and/or complacent to think for themselves. Of course, those of us who actually do respect women know that they in fact do think for themselves. The problem seems to be that you just don't like what some of them think.

i am entitled to think old men who pass laws to violate women's dignity and dominion over their own bodies are misogynistic.

you are free to disagree. but it's really not you being affected by those laws.

Codename Section
09-27-2013, 01:30 PM
If we libertarians got our way the government would have nothing to do with abortion, gay rights, women's rights, minority rights etc plus no one would be forced to buy things they don't want to buy or participate in activities they don't want to participate in.

We're 100% about freedom and responsibility.

Mister D
09-27-2013, 01:42 PM
i am entitled to think old men who pass laws to violate women's dignity and dominion over their own bodies are misogynistic.

you are free to disagree. but it's really not you being affected by those laws.

You're not rationalizing your rhetoric. You're just making another extreme statement. You're entitled to think and say whatever you want. I'm entitled to think and say that there is a great deal of irony in the rhetoric you so consistently employ.

I'm not affected by starving children in Guatamala either. What's your point? That expressing an opinion on something that doesn't directly affect me is inappriopriate? Secondly, I'd imagine that would be fathers are in fact affected by abortion. I know I would be. They are also affected by the "woman's choice" and will pay for her choice for the next 18-20 years.

patrickt
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Now, are you as concerned about those that are eligible to vote?\

Sadly, you didn't answer the question. Will they be registered to vote by the criminals in politics? Of course, I'm concerned with anyone being disenfranchised who should be eligible to vote. You know, like Americans serving overseas in the military or serving stateside on a large military base. Democrats do all that in their power to prevent them from having a vote counted. I'm also concerned with elderly citizens with dementia who have liberal thugs show up at their nursing homes with absentee ballots already filled out and just waiting for the thugs to coerce a signature. Does that offend you? I suppose not because they're on the side of right, justice, and Lenin.

But, let's see. You have a Republican senator and Sen. John McCain. And, let's see, before President Obama you had five Democrat representatives in Washington and three Republican. Now you have six Republican and two Democrat. Nobody can mobilize voters like that ole community organizer, huh?