PDA

View Full Version : New Rule: Conservatives Who Love to Brag About American Exceptionalism Must Come Here

Cigar
09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Since then, everything Republicans say can't or won't work -- gun control, immigration reform, high-speed rail -- California is making work. And everything conservatives claim will unravel the fabric of our society -- universal healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, gay marriage, medical marijuana -- has only made California stronger. And all we had to do to accomplish that was vote out every single Republican. Without a Republican governor and without a legislature being cock-blocked by Republicans, a $27 billion deficit was turned into a surplus, continuing the proud American tradition of Republicans blowing a huge hole in the budget and then Democrats coming in and cleaning it up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/bill-maher-california_b_3999675.html

Oops

Cigar
09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
The New Face of The Republican Party; y'all must be so proud of your babies

http://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/palin-andcruz.jpg

patrickt
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
The OP is so stupid it's funny and the second post--Cigar gets paid by the post--is another TPP.

They aren't babies, Cigar. if they were, liberal Kermit Gosnell would have killed them. Aren't you proud?

peoshi
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
It's meant to be funny...the dumbass did not notice the word "comedy" at the top of his own link.

Not that Bill Maher is funny...but brain-dead drones like blunt apparently think he is.

AmazonTania
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Wasn't exceptionalism Obama's rationale for bombing Syria?

nic34
09-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Hurry, quick change of subject....

jillian
09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
The New Face of The Republican Party; y'all must be so proud of your babies

http://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/palin-andcruz.jpg

that picture is so cringe-worthy.

then they say they lose because of "free stuff". lmao

nic34
09-27-2013, 12:38 PM
At least they're getting close to the 1968 minimum wage....

California Legislature approves raising minimum wage to $10 — the highest of any state

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_24083554/california-legislature-poised-raise-minimum-wage-from-8

We'll soon see what it does for their economy and settle that age old question.....

Chris
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Hurry, quick change of subject....

No, please get back to petty partisan bickering, it's so entertaining.

Hey, nic, aren't you the one running around here reminding everyone not to equate libs and dem, cons and reps? Yet you missed "New Rule: Conservatives...everything Republican...."

Mainecoons
09-27-2013, 01:20 PM

California Legislature approves raising minimum wage to $10 — the highest of any state

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_24083554/california-legislature-poised-raise-minimum-wage-from-8

We'll soon see what it does for their economy and settle that age old question.....

Should be interesting but hard to sort out this latest blow to their businesses from all the other blows that have business fleeing the state.

BTW, did you notice which two uber-liberal states have the highest unemployment?

IL and CA.

Maybe Cigar should get IL to pile on too.

:grin:

AmazonTania
09-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Im guessing you don't know much about chained weighted dollars…

nic34
09-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Im guessing you don't know much about chained weighted dollars…

I assume you are talking about a method of adjustment for inflation.
Go ahead, adjust. Show us what the "adjusted" minimum wage should be.

This'll help, but might not tell you what you want...

http://www.dol.gov/minwage/minwage-gdp-history.htm

midcan5
09-27-2013, 04:11 PM
American exceptionalism is a nice myth. The proof is in the pudding, an old saw often forgotten.

"A people, as surely as an individual, cannot stand in the presence of the world and congratulate itself on its unassailable virtue without leading itself into moral blindness and earning the contempt of others. Nothing about the American achievement is “placed beyond all possibility of failure,” as John Quincy Adams boasted. It would be fatal for a republic to entertain such presumption. There is nothing inevitable about our future, and no facile talk about exceptionalism will make it so. A history and a tradition—an authentic, fully American history and tradition—is available to us, but only if we turn away from the myths of the new exceptionalism." Richard Gamble http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/american-exceptionalisms/

"American exceptionalism is a delusion. The beginning of wisdom in foreign policy lies in seeing ourselves as we really are and in acknowledging our responsibility for the mess in which we find ourselves, in Iraq and elsewhere. When it comes to extricating ourselves from that mess, the first order of business is to clean up our own act. Principled liberals and authentic conservatives will disagree on how best to do so, but that surely is a debate worth having." Andrew J. Bacevich in 'The American Conservative"
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/what-is-left-what-is-right/

"The Power and the Glory' Myths of American exceptionalism

"Expanding into another territory, occupying that territory, and dealing harshly with people who resist occupation has been a persistent fact of American history from the first settlements to the present day. And this was often accompanied from very early on with a particular form of American exceptionalism: the idea that American expansion is divinely ordained. On the eve of the war with Mexico in the middle of the 19th century, just after the United States annexed Texas, the editor and writer John O’Sullivan coined the famous phrase “manifest destiny.” He said it was “the fulfillment of our manifest destiny to overspread the continent allotted by Providence for the free development of our yearly multiplying millions.” At the beginning of the 20th century, when the United States invaded the Philippines, President McKinley said that the decision to take the Philippines came to him one night when he got down on his knees and prayed, and God told him to take the Philippines.

Invoking God has been a habit for American presidents throughout the nation’s history, but George W. Bush has made a specialty of it. For an article in the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz, the reporter talked with Palestinian leaders who had met with Bush. One of them reported that Bush told him, “God told me to strike at al Qaeda. And I struck them. And then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did. And now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East.” It’s hard to know if the quote is authentic, especially because it is so literate. But it certainly is consistent with Bush’s oft-expressed claims. A more credible story comes from a Bush supporter, Richard Lamb, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, who says that during the election campaign Bush told him, “I believe God wants me to be president. But if that doesn’t happen, that’s okay."" http://www.bostonreview.net/zinn-power-glory

Green Arrow
09-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

If you had mentioned any other left-leaning state, like Vermont or Maine, I'd be with you.

But California?

California?

Califuckingfornia?

You MUST be joking! I lived all but five years of my life in California. It's the biggest shithole in the country, and I say this as a leftist!

jillian
09-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

If you had mentioned any other left-leaning state, like Vermont or Maine, I'd be with you.

But California?

California?

Califuckingfornia?

You MUST be joking! I lived all but five years of my life in California. It's the biggest shithole in the country, and I say this as a leftist!

you may not like it, but they're doing much better now.

surprised the heck out of me, too.

Green Arrow
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
you may not like it, but they're doing much better now.

surprised the heck out of me, too.

I'm...skeptical, but hey, I've got an open mind. Three years is a long time and I haven't so much as thought of California since I fled.

Paperback Writer
09-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I've been to LA recently and it's still a shithole. Hot women tho.

Green Arrow
09-27-2013, 06:18 PM
I've been to LA recently and it's still a shithole. Hot women tho.

Oh, no. You don't know hot women until you go to college towns like Richmond and Chattanooga. They make the women in L.A. look like fat whores.

Chris
09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
American exceptionalism is a nice myth. The proof is in the pudding, an old saw often forgotten.

"A people, as surely as an individual, cannot stand in the presence of the world and congratulate itself on its unassailable virtue without leading itself into moral blindness and earning the contempt of others. Nothing about the American achievement is “placed beyond all possibility of failure,” as John Quincy Adams boasted. It would be fatal for a republic to entertain such presumption. There is nothing inevitable about our future, and no facile talk about exceptionalism will make it so. A history and a tradition—an authentic, fully American history and tradition—is available to us, but only if we turn away from the myths of the new exceptionalism." Richard Gamble http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/american-exceptionalisms/

"American exceptionalism is a delusion. The beginning of wisdom in foreign policy lies in seeing ourselves as we really are and in acknowledging our responsibility for the mess in which we find ourselves, in Iraq and elsewhere. When it comes to extricating ourselves from that mess, the first order of business is to clean up our own act. Principled liberals and authentic conservatives will disagree on how best to do so, but that surely is a debate worth having." Andrew J. Bacevich in 'The American Conservative"
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/what-is-left-what-is-right/

"The Power and the Glory' Myths of American exceptionalism

"Expanding into another territory, occupying that territory, and dealing harshly with people who resist occupation has been a persistent fact of American history from the first settlements to the present day. And this was often accompanied from very early on with a particular form of American exceptionalism: the idea that American expansion is divinely ordained. On the eve of the war with Mexico in the middle of the 19th century, just after the United States annexed Texas, the editor and writer John O’Sullivan coined the famous phrase “manifest destiny.” He said it was “the fulfillment of our manifest destiny to overspread the continent allotted by Providence for the free development of our yearly multiplying millions.” At the beginning of the 20th century, when the United States invaded the Philippines, President McKinley said that the decision to take the Philippines came to him one night when he got down on his knees and prayed, and God told him to take the Philippines.

Invoking God has been a habit for American presidents throughout the nation’s history, but George W. Bush has made a specialty of it. For an article in the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz, the reporter talked with Palestinian leaders who had met with Bush. One of them reported that Bush told him, “God told me to strike at al Qaeda. And I struck them. And then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did. And now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East.” It’s hard to know if the quote is authentic, especially because it is so literate. But it certainly is consistent with Bush’s oft-expressed claims. A more credible story comes from a Bush supporter, Richard Lamb, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, who says that during the election campaign Bush told him, “I believe God wants me to be president. But if that doesn’t happen, that’s okay."" http://www.bostonreview.net/zinn-power-glory

Wonderful straw man, typical of liberal progressives. American exceptionalism is not its accomplishments, not its manifest desitiny, or any of the things you try to tear down. American exceptionalism is found in our values.

Captain Obvious
09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
We are no longer collectively exceptional. Progressives and liberals have diluted it. So we must then settle for individual exceptionalism. I consider myself very exceptional and if my liberal counterpart is content to settle for mediocrity then so be it.

Chris
09-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Values would be those of the tribe/group/society/culture, no the individual, the individual merely chooses to accept or reject those values.