PDA

View Full Version : Sense of surreal as Senate makes quick work of House bill

Agravan
10-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Sense of surreal as Senate makes quick work of House bill

By Alexander Bolton - 09/30/13 09:23 PM ET

A sense of the absurd spread on the Senate floor as lawmakers voted a second time within hours to reject a House-passed funding stopgap shortly before a midnight deadline to avoid a government shutdown.

Senators defeated the House proposal along party lines, 54-46 There were no defections. The measure would have delayed the individual mandate, a core piece of the Affordable Care Act, and prevented congressional lawmakers and staff from receiving federal subsidies when they enter healthcare exchanges.

The situation appeared surreal to lawmakers as the clock ticked toward midnight and there appeared no evidence of progress or even negotiations between the two sides.

“Three and a half hours essentially until the government begins to shut down. Can you believe this?” said Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), the chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations Committee. “We are the United States of America. We are a superpower. We’re supposed to be a nation governed by rule of law and we’re about to shut down.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) invoked Albert Einstein's definition of insanity as performing the same action repeatedly and expecting a different result.

He panned the House-passed legislation for increasing the out-of-pocket healthcare costs of lawmakers and staffers.

“This time the House has attached a poison pill that would punish 16,000 congressional staff,” he said.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/325679-senate-quickly-rejects-house-latest-funding-measure#ixzz2gSyEFnos

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 05:52 AM
The mail will still run, planes will still fly, and the American people will be worried for a day or two max and then go about their business.

Mainecoons
10-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Surreal is how I'd describe the U.S. Federal government these days.

This isn't going to get any better until the career pols are gone.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 06:44 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7137187813_07652229ec_z.jpg

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 08:40 AM
The House passed a "budget." The Senate said no. Who controls the Senate again?

jillian
10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
The House passed a "budget." The Senate said no. Who controls the Senate again?

not how it works. the senate has been asking them to go to conference for months on their differences.

they thought they were going to extort the country so they can do what they've wanted to do for 5 years and screw with the president...because heaven forbid it should work out well and they can't use the ACA to raise money from the teaparty groups.

too bad. let them pick something they can actually get. it won't be the ACA... they know it won't be the ACA and they're going to cost us billions with their giant tantrum.

as much as i respect you and respect our differences of opinion, it is unacceptable to say the senate has to give in to a bunch of petulant babies

it reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little holds the gun to his own head, and puts him own arm around his neck and says "stop or the [insert explative] gets it".

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 10:43 AM
not how it works. the senate has been asking them to go to conference for months on their differences.

they thought they were going to extort the country so they can do what they've wanted to do for 5 years and screw with the president...because heaven forbid it should work out well and they can't use the ACA to raise money from the teaparty groups.

too bad. let them pick something they can actually get. it won't be the ACA... they know it won't be the ACA and they're going to cost us billions with their giant tantrum.

as much as i respect you and respect our differences of opinion, it is unacceptable to say the senate has to give in to a bunch of petulant babies

it reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little holds the gun to his own head, and puts him own arm around his neck and says "stop or the [insert explative] gets it".

We can just as easily say that the House should not have to give into a bunch of petulant babies.

jillian
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
We can just as easily say that the House should not have to give into a bunch of petulant babies.

no. we really can't. and i'll remind you that the ACA is still effective today... but the government is shut down.

what did they gain?

Mister D
10-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Exactly. What's the difference other than the dominant party?

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 10:50 AM
no. we really can't. and i'll remind you that the ACA is still effective today... but the government is shut down.

what did they gain?

But it is not fully in effect. Lots of waivers. And the website is overloaded, so good luck getting a price quote today.

Matty
10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Sense of surreal as Senate makes quick work of House bill

By Alexander Bolton - 09/30/13 09:23 PM ET

A sense of the absurd spread on the Senate floor as lawmakers voted a second time within hours to reject a House-passed funding stopgap shortly before a midnight deadline to avoid a government shutdown.

Senators defeated the House proposal along party lines, 54-46 There were no defections. The measure would have delayed the individual mandate, a core piece of the Affordable Care Act, and prevented congressional lawmakers and staff from receiving federal subsidies when they enter healthcare exchanges.

The situation appeared surreal to lawmakers as the clock ticked toward midnight and there appeared no evidence of progress or even negotiations between the two sides.

“Three and a half hours essentially until the government begins to shut down. Can you believe this?” said Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), the chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations Committee. “We are the United States of America. We are a superpower. We’re supposed to be a nation governed by rule of law and we’re about to shut down.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) invoked Albert Einstein's definition of insanity as performing the same action repeatedly and expecting a different result.

He panned the House-passed legislation for increasing the out-of-pocket healthcare costs of lawmakers and staffers.

“This time the House has attached a poison pill that would punish 16,000 congressional staff,” he said

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/325679-senate-quickly-rejects-house-latest-funding-measure#ixzz2gSyEFnos

Yep, that's democrats alright. Cadillacs for we but none for thee!

Ethereal
10-01-2013, 11:26 AM

What a bunch of nonsensical blather. How does "we're supposed to be a nation governed by rule of law" follow from "we're about to shut down"? Don't these politicians understand that the law can exist totally independent of the federal machinery? I guess it's just part of the prevailing mental disorder wherein all that is good and right with the world emanates from Washington DC, as if every individual owed their very existence to that cesspool when in reality it's nothing more than a giant burden on the economy and an enemy to individual liberty.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I wish the Elections was this November ...

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 11:33 AM

And I wish tax day was November 1 rather than April 15th....

Ethereal
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Elections, the true opiate of the masses.

jillian
10-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Yep, that's democrats alright. Cadillacs for we but none for thee!

really? you see democrats voting against you having health insurance like your righwingers?

nope. once again, you have it butt backwards.

jillian
10-01-2013, 11:39 AM

you think it would make a difference? i guess if one didn't care about actual issues and only cared if rich people's taxes went up a percentage point.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Looks to me like The Weeping Cheeto TeaParty Puppet needs to step down. :laugh:

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Some of us pay quarterly :angry:

Ethereal
really? you see democrats voting against you having health insurance like your righwingers?

I see Democrats voting to force me into a collectivist polity that is characterized by fraud, theft, corruption, waste, and authoritarianism and ignoring every shred of evidence and logic that says their recycled marxist ideology will bring millions of people down with it before it implodes.

jillian
Looks to me like The Weeping Cheeto TeaParty Puppet needs to step down. :laugh:

sounds good.

who replaces him? which wingnut?

Mainecoons
10-01-2013, 11:44 AM
One can always count on the average IQ level dropping drastically when the above pair post.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:47 AM
sounds good.

who replaces him? which wingnut?

The one with the least experience ... Rafael Edward Cruz :grin:

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
One can always count on the average IQ level dropping drastically when the above pair post.

I understand your anger and bitterness ... I can see it really hurts you to be in such a long losing steak.

You'll get use to it ... some day. :laugh:

jillian
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
The one with the least experience ... Rafael Edward Cruz :grin:

he can't be speaker of the house.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 11:53 AM

That's what you think ... try telling that to Rafael :laugh:

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
you think it would make a difference? i guess if one didn't care about actual issues and only cared if rich people's taxes went up a percentage point.

I think it would make a lot of difference if people vote just after filing their taxes.... Let's try it. If you don't think it would change votes, then there is no harm in it. :wink:

Mainecoons
10-01-2013, 12:20 PM

I'm glad at least one of you knows this.

:rofl:

Cigar
10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm glad at least one of you knows this.

:rofl:

I'm glad someone can find the humor in this.

After all ... the Jokes are on you. :grin:

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey look, we can still be spied on!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1383163_484958868278028_1761482674_n.jpg