PDA

View Full Version : The little wifey misspoke

Ravi
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Texas Gov. Rick Perry today owned up to an “oops” moment that wasn’t even his.

His wife, Anita, misspoke when she told a journalist that abortion is a woman’s right, Perry, 63, a Republican who opposes terminating pregnancies, told a crowd in Smithville, New Jersey.

http://go.bloomberg.com/political-capital/2013-10-01/perry-wife-misspoke-about-abortion/

Good stuff.

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I am all for not having the government at all, ergo not having the government involved in day to day individual living, ergo not even deal with abortion, but...

the big turnoff to me and why I won't self-label as a "feminist" is this infatuation with abortion and the "I <3 abortion" shirts and the way women treat other women who have differing opinions.

She's allowed to be for it one day, and not for it the next. It's a complicated issue to people who are spiritual and believe the soul is present. Some people obviously do not and would strangle the fetus as its coming out of the birth canal.

I just think we ought to be kinder to each other on this issue and not beat each other down. It's difficult for the female, difficult for the fetus and I believe this is a women's issue and a society issue, not a government issue.

Peter1469
10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Did she misspeak? She can believe what she wishes.

jillian
10-01-2013, 02:35 PM
http://go.bloomberg.com/political-capital/2013-10-01/perry-wife-misspoke-about-abortion/

Good stuff.

you go, anita!

Ravi
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I am all for not having the government at all, ergo not having the government involved in day to day individual living, ergo not even deal with abortion, but...

the big turnoff to me and why I won't self-label as a "feminist" is this infatuation with abortion and the "I <3 abortion" shirts and the way women treat other women who have differing opinions.

She's allowed to be for it one day, and not for it the next. It's a complicated issue to people who are spiritual and believe the soul is present. Some people obviously do not and would strangle the fetus as its coming out of the birth canal.

I just think we ought to be kinder to each other on this issue and not beat each other down. It's difficult for the female, difficult for the fetus and I believe this is a women's issue and a society issue, not a government issue.
Apparently her husband doesn't think so.

jillian
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Did she misspeak? She can believe what she wishes.

of course she didn't misspeak... so why is rick apologizing for her?

i think he's sleeping in the garage tonight.

BB-35
10-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Good stuff.

So what? she's spent more time saying she opposed it,but one slip of the tongue..

jillian
10-01-2013, 02:40 PM

it's not an i <3 abortion thing... it's not wanting a bunch of religious men telling women what to do in violation of the protections assured by roe v wade.

if the right didn't make this their favorite issue, it wouldn't put women on the other side in the position of having to take a hard line on it.

it's none of government's business .... at least within the confines of roe v wade.

and what's the old expression?

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/11/men-pregnant/

great story on the quote at link, btw.

the sad part is that was said in the early 70's. i'm wondering why in 2013, we are so regressive that we need to continue to have these discussions.

Cigar
10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
For all the people who don't want a Government ... there's plenty of places you can go where there's NO Government.

So what's holding you back?

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Apparently her husband doesn't think so.

My husband and I had a lot of influence over each other's opinions because we debated constantly. If I am the type to refuse to budge to not question myself or to even waiver then I'm not a deep thinker.

Theologian Paul Tillich said, "those who do not doubt their faith, do not own their faith."

I think the same is true for politics. We should always question what we believe.

On abortion, especially because it has an effect on more than just the woman having it. Sacred motherhood and the hoop of life predates all modern religions. There is a reason for that trust and bond. That should give us some reverence when discussing the issue and not force our will on each other or make fun of each other for it, but to be open to gentle dialog.

I go back and forth on it as a personal choice. After reading a book on psychedelics and the Tibetan Book of the Dead I decided that abortion before the 40th day after conception would be fine for me, after that "no".

If we are static people then we're not only dull but useless.

Ravi
10-01-2013, 02:45 PM
My husband and I had a lot of influence over each other's opinions because we debated constantly. If I am the type to refuse to budge to not question myself or to even waiver then I'm not a deep thinker.

Theologian Paul Tillich said, "those who do not doubt their faith, do not own their faith."

I think the same is true for politics. We should always question what we believe.

On abortion, especially because it has an effect on more than just the woman having it. Sacred motherhood and the hoop of life predates all modern religions. There is a reason for that trust and bond. That should give us some reverence when discussing the issue and not force our will on each other or make fun of each other for it, but to be open to gentle dialog.

I go back and forth on it as a personal choice. After reading a book on psychedelics and the Tibetan Book of the Dead I decided that abortion before the 40th day after conception would be fine for me, after that "no".

If we are static people then we're not only dull but useless.
That's all nice but it doesn't change the fact that Perry apparently doesn't agree that his wife can speak for herself.

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 02:54 PM
That's all nice but it doesn't change the fact that Perry apparently doesn't agree that his wife can speak for herself.

You've never spoken for someone and had them say, "well, actually..."?

Bill and Hillary have corrected each other, as have Rand Paul and his wife. It's the nature of relationships to think "you know".

Ravi
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
You've never spoken for someone and had them say, "well, actually..."?

Bill and Hillary have corrected each other, as have Rand Paul and his wife. It's the nature of relationships to think "you know".
Okay. So you're okay with him saying what he did. Got it.

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
That's fine. She's a woman, too emotional to know her true stance.

Rick Perry is a politician, he needs his people to know he is not too emotional to be a good leader. He needs his constituents to know he is a moral man, not a babykilling progressive anti-patriot.

jillian
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM

so spaketh someone who isn't even capable of taking care of himself.

you are barely capable of making your own decisions. and you certainly aren't smart enough or wise enough to make mine.

The Xl
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Rick Perry is a politician, he needs his people to know he is not too emotional to be a good leader. He needs his constituents to know he is a moral man, not a babykilling progressive anti-patriot.

wat

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:04 PM
so spaketh someone who isn't even capable of taking care of himself.

you are barely capable of making your own decisions. and you certainly aren't smart enough or wise enough to make mine.

"Spaketh"?

Drop the personal attacks when you're so dumb you say shit like that.

Really, jill? "spaketh" :laugh:

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
wat

That's how the whole "I have a right to slaughter my innocent child" view came up.

It's certainly not logical, it's emotional. Based on "convenience," most of the time.

The Xl
10-01-2013, 03:09 PM
That's how the whole "I have a right to slaughter my innocent child" view came up.

It's certainly not logical, it's emotional. Based on "convenience," most of the time.

Convenience can be logical, you know. Not glorifying or supporting abortion, just saying.

Women are just as capable or incapable of knowing where they stand on their feelings and beliefs as men are.

jillian
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Convenience can be logical, you know. Not glorifying or supporting abortion, just saying.

Women are just as capable or incapable of knowing where they stand on their feelings and beliefs as men are.

it's not about "convenience"

but i agree with the latter part of your post.

for some reason he thinks because he has an X and Y chromosome he's capable of making other people's choices, or should i say "women's" choices for us.

i'm so grateful society has largely left people like him behind. hopefully, they'll go the way of the dodo sooner rather than later.

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:14 PM

Yes, convenience can be logical. But in this instance? Not a chance.

There's nothing that justifies giving the gas chamber to a defenseless baby. Or any of the other ways they snuff it out. Cruel and unusual punishment, really. Unconstitutional to the bone.

Also abortion came about as a way to keep minorities down. A small-known fact about it. Margaret Sanger (the founder of planned parenthood) advocated abortion for blacks because she thought they were "spreading" too rapidly.

Remember what you're advocating, Liberals, and if the wife of the gov. of Texas wants to support the racist, ignorant, and anti-american idea of abortion, then she's free to do so.

The Xl
10-01-2013, 03:14 PM
it's not about "convenience"

but i agree with the latter part of your post.

for some reason he thinks because he has an X and Y chromosome he's capable of making other people's choices, or should i say "women's" choices for us.

i'm so grateful society has largely left people like him behind. hopefully, they'll go the way of the dodo sooner rather than later.

People like to automatically disqualify the opinions of others based on not being like them, be it race, age, gender, etc.

I prefer agreeing with or destroying someone based on the merit of their argument, regardless of whether they have a penis or vagina, or whether they're black or white, or 16 or 60.

That's just me though.

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Okay. So you're okay with him saying what he did. Got it.

You're a weirdo. Maybe you should let people speak for themselves and not extrapolate. I said "it happens". I don't need to be "okay" with it. I'm not in that marriage.

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Yes, convenience can be logical. But in this instance? Not a chance.

There's nothing that justifies giving the gas chamber to a defenseless baby. Or any of the other ways they snuff it out. Cruel and unusual punishment, really. Unconstitutional to the bone.

Also abortion came about as a way to keep minorities down. A small-known fact about it. Margaret Sanger (the founder of planned parenthood) advocated abortion for blacks because she thought they were "spreading" too rapidly.

Remember what you're advocating, Liberals, and if the wife of the gov. of Texas wants to support the racist, ignorant, and anti-american idea of abortion, then she's free to do so.

Most people know that Sanger was a racist.

Why do you believe that the government that has pretty much ruined every single social issue it's touched is capable of legislating abortion?

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:21 PM
People like to automatically disqualify the opinions of others based on not being like them, be it race, age, gender, etc.

I prefer agreeing with or destroying someone based on the merit of their argument, regardless of whether they have a penis or vagina, or whether they're black or white, or 16 or 60.

That's just me though.

Liberals like Ravi, jillian, cigar, bladimz, and a small handful of other posters here simply find it impossible to look at anything besides race and sex.

You'll figure that out eventually once you read enough of the same crap from them.

jillian
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM

That's just me though.

i discounted his opinion because he thinks men are somehow more capable at decision-making than women.

i've done very well in a traditionally male field and am very grateful that a lot of women before me fought against his brand of ignorance.

pointing out that his argument is stupid was sufficient for me. i understand and appreciate what you're saying, but he has a history of disparaging posters who don't agree with him. you seem different, that's fine and i'm happy to engage.

but then again, i don't think you're going to say anything as stupid as "women are too emotional to make decisions" so need a man to make decisions for us. we certainly don't. and we certainly don't need old men in government making those decisions for us.

fair enough?

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Most people know that Sanger was a racist.

Why do you believe that the government that has pretty much ruined every single social issue it's touched is capable of legislating abortion?

I don't want it legislated. I want people to evolve enough to where they know it's immoral and unjust.

/Edit: The fact that there's even a dialog open about the genocide of unborn babies is highly disturbing to me. I think it should be disturbing to anyone who loans even a couple braincells to critical thought about it.

jillian
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Liberals like Ravi, jillian, cigar, bladimz, and a small handful of other posters here simply find it impossible to look at anything besides race and sex.

You'll figure that out eventually once you read enough of the same crap from them.

you really should work on your own life before you tell others how to live theirs.

Alyosha
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't want it legislated. I want people to evolve enough to where they know it's immoral and unjust.

Very good then. We are in accord.

jillian
10-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Very good then. We are in accord.

pssssst... he's all for laws restricting choice. and you certainly know better than to think women can't make their own decisions.

The Xl
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Then I'll form my opinions of them accordingly, as individuals.

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
you really should work on your own life before you tell others how to live theirs.

Do tell me where I told anyone how to live their life.

Isolate the line and put it in a quote for me.

If it's in another thread link the post and PM it to me.

This is getting ridiculous. Do you want to discuss your support of the genocide on unborn children or do you want to keep changing the topic and distracting?

GrassrootsConservative
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
pssssst... he's all for laws restricting choice. and you certainly know better than to think women can't make their own decisions.

She never said women can't make their own decisions. Why do you feel the need to make that up?

patrickt
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Wow! Ravi thinks a female spouse is a "little wifey". The liberal war on women continues.

oceanloverOH
10-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Enough already with the sexist comments and otherwise insulting statements, from BOTH sides; this thread has gotten very close to a violation of Posting Rule 5.

Ravi
10-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Sounds like a good platform for Republicans to run on.