PDA

View Full Version : WWII Vets still have it

Peter1469
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
The government tried to shut down the WWII memorial on the Mall. Some WWII vets stormed the barricades (http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=953619#.Ukwf_KPD85u)!

Yet, for a group of World War II veterans visiting the national memorial in Washington D.C., an all expense paid trip which is called an "Honor Flight," the shutdown was not stopping them from seeing the tribute that was inspired by them.

"It just goes to show you why we won World War II," says Honor Flight of Northwest Ohio President Lee Armstrong.

Many elderly veterans, some in wheelchairs, broke through the barriers set up around the memorial, as police, park service employees, and tourists looked on. "The Germans and the Japanese couldn't contain us. They weren't going to let barriers contain them today. They wanted to see their memorial," says Armstrong.

Mainecoons
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
It just goes to show you what a bunch of mean-spirited assholes we have for a government these days. This is an unmanned memorial, just like the Lincoln. This was done to hurt people, pure and simple. Bravo to the vets for standing up to Obama and his government goons.

Cigar
10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
That was Great to see ...
:applause:

I say Suite these guys up and give them a direct order to go kick some congressional ass on hill. :laugh:

Mainecoons
10-02-2013, 08:48 AM
That's your boy Obama threatening the vets. He wouldn't be happy to see you supporting them.

shaarona
10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
It just goes to show you what a bunch of mean-spirited assholes we have for a government these days. This is an unmanned memorial, just like the Lincoln. This was done to hurt people, pure and simple. Bravo to the vets for standing up to Obama and his government goons.

Most of these WW2 vets must be 80 years old.

Ravi
10-02-2013, 09:15 AM
I liked that some of the politicians moved the barricades. About time they did some work. Maybe the could fill in for all the people they've furloughed.

Mainecoons
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Republican politican did it.

Democrats are part of the gang of thugs these days.

Mainecoons
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Obama's goons at work:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/4-park-service-workers-erect-wwii-barricade_759070.html

Ravi
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Republican politican did it.

Democrats are part of the gang of thugs these days.
Of course they did. They are the ones that shut down the government.

Mainecoons
10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Wrong.

As usual.

They all shut it down. But only Obama and his goon government are trying to hurt people.

We understand you're very proud of them.

countryboy
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
of course they did. They are the ones that shut down the government.

liberal lie alert! Proceed with extreme caution!

patrickt
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Unlike the Obamas, i'm proud of these Americans and what they did.

BB-35
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
*Applauding the people who literally saved the world*

Chloe
10-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I think it's kind of silly that monuments are shut down anyway I mean it is public property that we all paid for anyway and why does it need to be closed just because a park ranger can't be there? I'm glad those people decided to what they did. I should be able to walk up to a memorial in Washington any time that I want. I sort of understand something like a national park where it could be very dangerous if hikers go in and get lost and there is nobody to help or know that they are there, but a memorial that you can just walk around and see is kind of silly to me.

Peter1469
10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I can understand shutting down the facilities that have staff, but most of these outdoor monument are just sitting there. There should be no reason to shut them down- there is nothing to shut down.

Ravi
10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
The monuments are closed because, during a shutdown, there is no money to pay the rangers who staff them, said the Park Service spokeswoman, Carol Bradley Johnson. And the agency is worried about the security of the memorials and the safety of visitors at unstaffed sites.
“It is not something we enjoy doing,” Johnson said. “But it’s important that we protect and preserve our monuments for future generations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/visiting-veterans-storm-closed-wwii-memorial/2013/10/01/0fc2a376-2ab4-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html

It wasn't that long ago that someone trashed the Lincoln memorial.

Peter1469
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
The monuments are closed because, during a shutdown, there is no money to pay the rangers who staff them, said the Park Service spokeswoman, Carol Bradley Johnson. And the agency is worried about the security of the memorials and the safety of visitors at unstaffed sites.
“It is not something we enjoy doing,” Johnson said. “But it’s important that we protect and preserve our monuments for future generations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/visiting-veterans-storm-closed-wwii-memorial/2013/10/01/0fc2a376-2ab4-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html

The Lincoln memorial has staff and a gift store. Other monuments like the Vietnam wall, the Korean War formation, and the WWII monument do not. They are just there in the open. Nothing to close down.

Ethereal
10-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I liked that some of the politicians moved the barricades. About time they did some work. Maybe the could fill in for all the people they've furloughed.

The real question is why did they put up the barricades in the first place? Of course, it goes without saying that Obama bears no responsibility for that, so which of his underlings should we blame for the unnecessary and tacky closures of outdoor monuments and parks in Washington DC?

Ethereal
10-02-2013, 06:49 PM

They managed to trash it even though the federal government was fully funded at the time. Imagine that.

Codename Section
10-02-2013, 06:49 PM

They just painted him green. What's the big deal?

Codename Section
10-02-2013, 06:52 PM
They managed to trash it even though the federal government was fully funded at the time. Imagine that.

Laws don't stop lawbreakers, they just allow statists to punish you afterwards if they catch you.

Ravi
10-02-2013, 07:34 PM
They just painted him green. What's the big deal?
Nothing. Abe was a greenie after all.