PDA

View Full Version : Congress of Vienna

Mister D
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
The Congress of Vienna opened today in 1814. It was held to redraw the map of Europe after the Ogre's (i.e. Napoleon I) depredations and the almost two decades of war that had engulfed Europe. IMO, it was a smashing success in that it gave modern Europe the longest period of relative peace she had ever known. The next major conflict would not occur until 1914. That's why the 19th Century is called the Long Century.

Mister D
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM
The Waterloo Campaign the following Summer did nothing change the agreements made. They were finally ratified a few days after Napoleon's final defeat. besides, Napoleeon didn't stadn a chance even if he has cruahed the Anglo-Allied army. The Russians and Austrians hadn't even taken the field yet. The odds were far too long against him.

Peter1469
10-02-2013, 04:12 PM
The Waterloo Campaign the following Summer did nothing change the agreements made. They were finally ratified a few days after Napoleon's final defeat. besides, Napoleeon didn't stadn a chance even if he has cruahed the Anglo-Allied army. The Russians and Austrians hadn't even taken the field yet. The odds were far too long against him.

Have you been to St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Both Lord Admiral Nelson and the Duke of Wellington (Field Marshall Arthur Wellesley) have their crypts there in the basement.

Mister D
10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Have you been to St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Both Lord Admiral Nelson and the Duke of Wellington (Field Marshall Arthur Wellesley) have their crypts there in the basement.

Cool pic. I have not. Did you know Wellington was half Irish? I think he is overrated as a commander myself. IMO, there was no way he could have beaten the Grande Armee at Waterloo without Prussian assistance.

Peter1469
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Cool pic. I have not. Did you know Wellington was half Irish? I think he is overrated as a commander myself. IMO, there was no way he could have beaten the Grande Armee at Waterloo without Prussian assistance.

You may be correct, but that doesn't negate that the battle made him a historical figure.

Mister D
10-02-2013, 09:31 PM
You may be correct, but that doesn't negate that the battle made him a historical figure.

Don't get me wrong. I was damn near obsessed with Waterloo and those fancy British red coats as a child. :grin:

I agree. The British view of the battle is the one we grew up with and while Wellington's genius is in part a product of that specific Waterloo tradition he was still a great commander. He did very well in Spain.