PDA

View Full Version : Repeal of legislative Immunity Proposed in Arizona.....

MMC
01-22-2012, 09:05 AM
PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona senator gets in a fight with his girlfriend on a Phoenix freeway and avoids arrest. An Arkansas legislator leads officers on a high-speed chase through two counties and doesn't get taken into custody. A Georgia lawmaker claims he couldn't be prosecuted on a DUI charge.
In each case, a little-known privilege called legislative immunity that prevents the arrests of legislators while they are in session came into play.
The issue is getting a closer look in Arizona this year after a lawmaker introduced a resolution seeking to amend the state Constitution to delete wording barring the arrest of legislators during, and 15 days before, legislative sessions. Like those in many other states, Arizona's legislative immunity protects legislators from arrest except for "treason, felony or breach of the peace."

State Sen. Steve Gallardo introduced the legislation to change the Constitution because he believes it's an unfair and outdated protection afforded lawmakers.

The National Conference of State Legislatures says most states have similar legislative immunity provisions in their constitutions. Members of Congress technically have the protection as well, but it has been so narrowly interpreted by the courts that U.S. lawmakers gain no real benefit from it.

Gallardo said he's certain voters would approve his proposal if it reaches the November ballot. And chances for that are good with current scrutiny of legislative ethics because of Bundgaard's case and disclosures of Fiesta Bowl freebie trips and game tickets given legislators, he said.
"When you start looking overall at the role of the legislator(s) and what they're allowed and they're not allowed, all of that is going to be looked at this year, and I think immunity should be at the top of the list," he said.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/repeal-legislative-immunity-proposed-arizona-183852250.html

Whaddya know.....a Democrat that is about doing the right thing in 2012. But are you kidding me? They gain no real benefit from it. What a joke that is. If Politicans break the law, should they not be held to a higher standard just like those in the Military.

IMO if Pols can come down on those of us in the Military for PC and upholding the Image of America. Then should not more emphasis be placed on politicans? Currently we have a whole slew of them that are running this country into the ground. While others have sold out for the NWO.

Every American out there today should now be wanting to make sure these guys don't get away with anything whatsoever. Especially when they keep touting they are here to serve the American people and or their Constituients. Kudos to this Democrat who is thinking about that Constitution and things in the long run.

Conley
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
What?!? I never heard of such a thing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the state of politics today.

I did read about all the pol buy offs and perks for the bowl system. Shady, shady, shady and what's to stop these guys if they have no ethics and no fear of being prosecuted.

wingrider
01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
its different strokes for different folks , when you are a member of the elite society you get to play by different rules than the rest of the common folk.

MMC
01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Plenty of unemployed and broke people to make sure that point is understood. What are they going to do? Try and lock up 1.6 million people?

wingrider
01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Plenty of unemployed and broke people to make sure that point is understood. What are they going to do? Try and lock up 1.6 million people?

they already have locked us up... it is an open prison system though , kind of like minimum security.. first they cripple the means of easy travel for example TSA , then they put certain restrictions in place to get passports and visas and viola a prison without bars..

effectivey you have just imprisoned 312 million people pretty slick