PDA

View Full Version : Will The Virus Of Continuity Be Stronger Than The Wind Of Revolution?

Mister D
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Arab spring. The uprising of the Arab street has been provoked by desperation. It source has been the theft, the corruption and the inadequate allotments left for the rest of the population by the greedy “Thiefs-In-Chiefs”. The old regimes are gone but the final tally is not yet in. Nevertheless, from the outset, some of the world’s relieved optimism required that the euphoria be examined with calm rationalism. The high hopes universally expressed stood in danger of reflecting a dream rather than the potentials embedded in the actual situation on the ground.

When events unfold in cultures that lack a common denominator with the observer’s, it is natural to attempt to fit the undigested news into an explanatory framework. That context for evaluating developments brought home by TV comes from the historical experience of the viewer. In that context the resulting evaluation might be logical. Nevertheless, as countless examples suggest, at the place where the events are created, such interpretations can turn out to be disconnected from reality.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/4769

Conley
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
At this point I am wondering if the Arab Spring will result in any real changes for the people of the Middle East? Mubarak is gone, but I don't know that their new leader will be any better. Quadhafi and the civil war goes on...and Syria has crushed the protests. It seems the revolution didn't really catch on and will fizzle completely. Kind of reminds me of Tienamen when people thought there would be widespread change in China and their human rights practices, and it didn't really happen.

Mister D
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
At this point I am wondering if the Arab Spring will result in any real changes for the people of the Middle East? Mubarak is gone, but I don't know that their new leader will be any better. Quadhafi and the civil war goes on...and Syria has crushed the protests. It seems the revolution didn't really catch on and will fizzle completely. Kind of reminds me of Tienamen when people thought there would be widespread change in China and their human rights practices, and it didn't really happen.

Yeah, this "Arab Spring" seems to be a western conceit if you ask me. At least at this point.

MMC
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
What more can be said when you have the Former Govenor and Head of the DNC outright talking about a different kind of Democracy. When other Democrats will pick up the mantra and say the same thing.

What is the missing equation to the Arab Spring? Who is the one that is getting shit on. Now here is one for you. Are the Shia.....Babylonians? Are the Berbers.....really Arabs?

Mister D
07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
What more can be said when you have the Former Govenor and Head of the DNC outright talking about a different kind of Democracy. When other Democrats will pick up the mantra and say the same thing.

What is the missing equation to the Arab Spring? Who is the one that is getting shit on. Now here is one for you. Are the Shia.....Babylonians? Are the Berbers.....really Arabs?

I guess part of the problem is "democracy"in this context is meaningless. It's a roll of the dice. I didn't realize our foreign policy has become a crap shoot.

MMC
07-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Personally I think we have been duped regardless who has been in Control of our Government. Same with Asia. One problem is what we have mentioned before. The failure to check history. Second is getting people there that not only study the culture but are a part of it. Understand it and without any doubt whatsoever. Knowing the mindset and not thinking one does. Something those in our country do. That taking for granted bullshit.