PDA

View Full Version : The worst pig cooking day.

roadmaster
10-05-2013, 09:59 PM
No I don't cook them anymore but expected it to be ok and have some, great vegs with them. I didn't go but one of my daughters brought a plate home for me. I don't eat pork but a little wouldn't hurt. Potatoes were potatoes salad, strike one, Beans had Cole slaw mixed in with them all I could taste is vinegar, strike two, meat, no flavor at all. Because it's my sons girlfriends family I did eat it and smiled. :rollseyes: Almost got sick.

fyrenza
10-05-2013, 10:18 PM
UGH! A nice wad of tasteless pig and the type of swill it lived on to wash it down.

Sounds like country folks, to me. h0p they provided MASSIVE amounts of beer! lol

oceanloverOH
10-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Coleslaw IN the beans????? Urp.

GrassrootsConservative
10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Coleslaw IN the beans????? Urp.

Right?

Coleslaw is bad enough without ruining something possibly tasty.

oceanloverOH
10-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I think if I ate cabbage and beans at the same time, I would never stop farting.

GrassrootsConservative
10-06-2013, 12:13 AM
I think if I ate cabbage and beans at the same time, I would never stop farting.

Don't be silly, women don't fart.

oceanloverOH
10-06-2013, 12:17 AM
And they don't sweat and get B.O. either. :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Captain Obvious
10-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Don't be silly, women don't fart.

Just recently... my wife and I have been married for 22 years. Just recently she started farting. Not like she held it in for these many years, she started farting out loud.

Not sure what to make of that, but I think it's kinda cute actually.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2013, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

Dr. Who
10-06-2013, 12:25 AM
No I don't cook them anymore but expected it to be ok and have some, great vegs with them. I didn't go but one of my daughters brought a plate home for me. I don't eat pork but a little wouldn't hurt. Potatoes were potatoes salad, strike one, Beans had Cole slaw mixed in with them all I could taste is vinegar, strike two, meat, no flavor at all. Because it's my sons girlfriends family I did eat it and smiled. :rollseyes: Almost got sick.

Who mixes Cole slaw with beans? I like either separately, but together? yecch. Reminds me of an incident many years ago when my sister-in-law put sweet salad dressing in Kraft Dinner. I wanted to vomit. I've never eaten roasted pig - assuming you mean a pig on the spit. How do you get flavor into it, since the skin is still there?

shaarona
10-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Who mixes Cole slaw with beans? I like either separately, but together? yecch. Reminds me of an incident many years ago when my sister-in-law put sweet salad dressing in Kraft Dinner. I wanted to vomit. I've never eaten roasted pig - assuming you mean a pig on the spit. How do you get flavor into it, since the skin is still there?

We cooked small hogs all night in a pit.. You slash the skin rub it with salt and pepper.. It is very, very tasty. Then a vinegar based BBQ sauce made with Worstershire , tabasco and more pepper.

Dr. Who
10-06-2013, 10:28 AM
We cooked small hogs all night in a pit.. You slash the skin rub it with salt and pepper.. It is very, very tasty. Then a vinegar based BBQ sauce made with Worstershire , tabasco and more pepper.Sounds very tasty.

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Sounds like country folks, to me. Pretty much they are Native Americans. I haven't had pig like that since I was young, except one time at a neighborhood party and it just wasn't the same. Was looking forward to the vegs but took everything I could do to smile. No way was I going to act like it wasn't good.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Sounds very tasty.

Slow cooking is the key.. 10 to 12 hours...

We serve it with Cold slaw, white rice and a meat hash with just a little bit of hog liver in the hash.

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 10:35 AM

We serve it with Cold slaw, white rice and a meat hash with just a little bit of hog liver in the hash. You know I don't think they slow cooked it enough. Raised on a farm my dad and uncles did this and it was always good. I just cut out pork a long time ago.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 10:38 AM
You know I don't think they slow cooked it enough. Raised on a farm my dad and uncles did this and it was always good. I just cut out pork a long time ago.

I personally have never cooked a large hog.. although I have been to many pig roasts.. I have only cooked small ones.. when my sons would bring friends home from military academy.. It was any easy way to feed them.

Dr. Who
10-06-2013, 10:45 AM

We serve it with Cold slaw, white rice and a meat hash with just a little bit of hog liver in the hash.

Sounds like a SC recipe for hash. I've never tried it, but I think I'd like it.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a SC recipe for hash. I've never tried it, but I think I'd like it.

LOLOL.. You nailed me cold.. It is a SC recipe.. Its very good if they don't put too much liver in it.

I am in Atl now and there's no decent BBQ in the whole town.

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 10:55 AM
LOLOL.. You nailed me cold.. It is a SC recipe.. Its very good if they don't put too much liver in it.

I am in Atl now and there's no decent BBQ in the whole town. SC does have the best. Even in NC it's not the same.

Dr. Who
10-06-2013, 10:57 AM

I am in Atl now and there's no decent BBQ in the whole town.Liver is an acquired taste, especially pork liver. I don't mind it if it's really fresh. Funny thing about BBQ, there are so many versions, but the best version is always the one you grew up with - LOL.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 11:02 AM
SC does have the best. Even in NC it's not the same.

I know.. I couldn't even find decent BBQ in Texas.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Liver is an acquired taste, especially pork liver. I don't mind it if it's really fresh. Funny thing about BBQ, there are so many versions, but the best version is always the one you grew up with - LOL.

I never had it until I was 20 or so. We had a pork store in Saudi Arabia but only small cuts.

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I know.. I couldn't even find decent BBQ in Texas. They don't have sweet tea either in Texas. I don't drink it as much as I use to but come on it's good.

shaarona
10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
They don't have sweet tea either in Texas. I don't drink it as much as I use to but come on it's good.

I know.. and I couldn't find pole beans and vine ripened tomatoes in Florida............

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Funny thing about BBQ, there are so many versions, but the best version is always the one you grew up with - LOL. True but try SC BBQ. I have been to many states and they just make it better. Love NY pizza.

Dr. Who
10-06-2013, 11:32 AM
True but try SC BBQ. I have been to many states and they just make it better. Love NY pizza.SC is the home of BBQ, but there seem to be 4 different types. Just vinegar and pepper, a sweet mustard sauce, one with vinegar and pepper, plus a little tomato sauce and one with a heavier tomato sauce. Which one do you recommend?

roadmaster
10-06-2013, 11:58 AM
SC is the home of BBQ, but there seem to be 4 different types. Just vinegar and pepper, a sweet mustard sauce, one with vinegar and pepper, plus a little tomato sauce and one with a heavier tomato sauce. Which one do you recommend? No tomato sauce. Ours don't come in chunks either. Yes about a year ago at the SC beach one restaurant had BBQ sandwiches and it wasn't like ours. I was always in the other stages, like preparing the hog, shaving, draining ect. Ours look a little white with brown, not in chunks, ground good. You can put coleslaw on it or not. Would have to ask my sister on what to put on it, never actually cooked one myself but have prepared them for cooking.