PDA

View Full Version : School vouchers pretty much a flop

Ravi
10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
But behind the outrage is an inconvenient truth: Taxpayers across the U.S. will soon be spending $1 billion a year to help families pay private school tuition — and there’s little evidence that the investment yields academic gains.

In Milwaukee, just 13 percent of voucher students scored proficient in math and 11 percent made the bar in reading this spring. That’s worse on both counts than students in the city’s public schools. In Cleveland, voucher students in most grades performed worse than their peers in public schools in math, though they did better in reading.
In New Orleans, voucher students who struggle academically haven’t advanced to grade-level work any faster over the past two years than students in public schools, many of which are rated D or F, state data show.
And across Louisiana, many of the most popular private schools for voucher students posted miserable scores in math, reading, science and social studies this spring, with fewer than half their voucher students achieving even basic proficiency and fewer than 2 percent demonstrating mastery. Seven schools did so badly, state Superintendent John White barred them from accepting new voucher students — though the state agreed to keep paying tuition for the more than 200 voucher students already enrolled, if they chose to stay.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/vouchers-dont-do-much-for-students-97909.html?hp=f1

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Wait, are you saying that when government attempts to reroute money into private companies to lower costs for consumers that's a bad idea?

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 10:12 AM
haha from the same article

Longitudinal studies of the Milwaukee voucher program have found mixed results. In one study, voucher students did no better than peers in the public schools for four years, then outpaced them in reading – but not math — in the fifth year. In another, voucher students lagged behind their peers in reading, math and science in fourth grade and continued to lag in 8th and 10th grade math, though they did better in reading and science in the upper grades. Another study found voucher students were 3 percentage points more likely to graduate high school and persist past their freshman year in a four-year college.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/vouchers-dont-do-much-for-students-97909.html#ixzz2h37K16hi

hahahaha

Chris
10-07-2013, 10:12 AM
The source you cited seems to put the public school system on the same level of success as the voucher system. That's an indictment both are a flop.

I'm curious, are voucher students being measured with public school tests and standards? Alyosha raises this point, that by a different standard, voucher students fare better.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah, selective reading is also very common around here.

Also we really wouldn't need these school vouchers if students had a choice to choose where they wanted to attend school, now would we?

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 10:16 AM
This would be another haha if not so sad

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/walt_gardners_reality_check/2013/02/requiem_for_catholic_schools.html

The obvious question is why enrollment has fallen if Catholic schools have done as admirable a job educating disadvantaged students as they claim? The answer is not the result of lack of demand but of the inability of poor parents to pay tuition, which has risen because of the growth of tuition-free charter schools and mounting personnel costs. Don't forget that until the 1960s, most teachers in Catholic schools were nuns who never took a cent in salary. Today, nearly 96 percent of the faculty are lay teachers. Although the Supreme Court ruled in 1979 that church schools are not subject to the National Labor Relations Act, lay teachers continue to demand to be paid more in line with their colleagues in public schools ("Catholic School Teachers Wrestle With Faith and Obedience in Negotiating a Contract (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/nyregion/catholic-school-teachers-wrestle-with-obedience-in-contract-talks.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)," The New York Times, Sept. 4, 2011). As a result, Catholic schools have been forced to increase tuition to stay operational.

But beyond the issue of tuition is the debate over evidence of the success of Catholic schools. The data are indeed impressive. Graduation rates and standardized test scores outpace those in traditional public schools. But it's important to remember that Catholic schools can enroll and expel at will, are not required by law to accept special education students, and can alter the curriculum as they alone see fit. Public schools have no such freedom in any of these areas. These advantages notwithstanding, the greatest appeal of Catholic schools to parents of all faiths is the discipline and values-based approach to learning. Parents want the structure that Catholic schools offer and that many public schools do not. It comes down, therefore, to a matter of philosophy.

Despite the hard times they are experiencing, I think Catholic schools are not nearly in as great a peril as they seem. The Education Investment Incentives Act permits corporations and individuals to redirect their tax liability to finance private school scholarships. Unless the Supreme Court rules against the constitutionality of the law down the road, Catholic schools will continue to qualify as a prime beneficiary. So far 11 states have this program, with five more states having similar programs. I expect other states to follow suit. If I'm right, then Catholic schools will have a new stream of income that augurs well for their survival. Miracles sometimes come in unexpected ways.

pjohns
10-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I should probably not be especially surprised that the center-left Politico has chosen to cherry-pick certain school systems--from Milwaukee, Cleveland, and New Orleans--in order to try to "prove" its pre-determined point.

Perhaps Politico's real objection may be found just a little later, buried within the article: Why, some school systems participating in the voucher program have the temerity to "infuse religion through their curriculum." (Presumably, most of these are either Catholic or fundamentalist Christian institutions; as regarding which, it should come as no shock that these institutions should relect a religious perspecitve.)

jillian
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Wait, are you saying that when government attempts to reroute money into private companies to lower costs for consumers that's a bad idea?

that isn't what is happening with voucher programs....

that is our money being funnelled into parochial schools... which is why there is no concomittant improvement in education.

you can't tell people there's no such thing as evolution or that the world is 6000 years old and have them be competative

Chris
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

that is our money being funnelled into parochial schools... which is why there is no concomittant improvement in education.

you can't tell people there's no such thing as evolution or that the world is 6000 years old and have them be competative

which is why there is no concomittant improvement in education

So spending other people's money has no benefit whether public school or vouchered.

Naturally you would bait the discussion off topic with something.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Catholic schools teach evolution. You knew that, right? It's how I learned about it. Catholic schools and Jewish schools also outperform public schools in AP exams and college placement tests.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Actually you can. BYU is not a cake walk school, nor is LDS business college.

Strangely enough, evolution is taught as part of the standard sciences. But evolution isn't worshipped as the only explanation either.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Strangely enough, evolution is taught as part of the standard sciences. But evolution isn't worshipped as the only explanation either.

My Catholic school took education seriously, but...John Paul II also believed evolution was God's means of creating things, so...

jillian
10-07-2013, 12:25 PM

how about bob jones u?

but that isn't what we're talking about since vouchers wouldn't apply to those schools

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
My Catholic school took education seriously, but...John Paul II also believed evolution was God's means of creating things, so...

That's kinda the way I swing. It makes sense. Might also explain the findings of near-man and humanoid skeletons everywhere.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 12:27 PM
how about bob jones u?

but that isn't what we're talking about since vouchers wouldn't apply to those schools

Indeed, but Pell Grants, many scholarships, and student loans do.

Same concept - school vouchers, just college vouchers.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 12:27 PM
how about bob jones u?

My Catholic high school matriculated 70% of its inner city class and had a 98% graduation rate. Of our graduating seniors 3 of us went on to attend top 10 colleges, two of us on full ride scholarships.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Again with this lie, Jillian? We spend generously on education. Our lowered ranking has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or evolution but with the wholesale academic failure of two demographic groups. Guess which ones.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 12:37 PM
They've only now just tapered off education, but it's still higher than it's ever been.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.png?g=n8n

Mister D
10-07-2013, 12:38 PM
They've only now just tapered off education, but it's still higher than it's ever been.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.png?g=n8m

We spend more per pupil than some other OECD nations that get a better return on their investment.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Interesting because the solution to education in the US is always to throw money at it, but when it comes to health care it's a bad thing that America spends more on its health care than other OECD nations.

I just wish people would try to understand how these arguments work before presenting them.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Interesting because the solution to education in the US is always to throw money at it, but when it comes to health care it's a bad thing that America spends more on its health care than other OECD nations.

I just wish people would try to understand how these arguments work before presenting them.

Interesting observation. :smiley:

Yes, if the kiddies aren't learning it's because we don't spend enough. I've researched the spending in my own area and more is spent per pupil in inner city schools than in the surrounding suburbs. Moreover, most of the funding in my town, for example, comes from my property taxes whereas the majority of urban funding comes from the state's tax payers (i.e. the suburbs).

jillian
10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Again with this lie, Jillian? We spend generously on education. Our lowered ranking has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or evolution but with the wholesale academic failure of two demographic groups. Guess which ones.

more lies from *you*?

lmao

we were talking about vouchers. you're extrapolating to other things.

you do that a lot.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:21 PM
more lies from *you*?

lmao

you do that a lot.

Can't prove your claims? :grin:

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Here is what you said, Jillian. If the topic is vouchers why are you babbling about Christians and evolution? Oh, because you hate them.

jillian
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Here is what you said, Jillian. If the topic is vouchers why are you babbling about Christians and evolution? Oh, because you hate them.

i know what i said and it's true.

no... i don't hate them. you think because you hate jews that jews must hate christians.

the point... is if you think that the earth is 5000 years old, you aren't going to do well in science.

is that confusing you?

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:26 PM
i know what i said and it's true.

no... i don't hate them. you think because you hate jews that jews must hate christians.

the point... is if you think that the earth is 5000 years old, you aren't going to do well in science.

is that confusing you?

What you said was nonsense. If not, back it up. I'll wait. :smiley:

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Bump

jillian
10-07-2013, 01:27 PM
What you said was nonsense. If not, back it up. I'll wait. :smiley:

you think if you're taught that the world is 5000 years old you can be good at science?

how stupid. lmao.

*you* back it up since your point is patently absurd.

but i love how you get all sensitive and trollish... it's so funny.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I like the part of how it is taught that the Loch Ness monster is a modern day dinosaur.

Chris
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
more lies from *you*?

lmao

you do that a lot.

Like you "extrapolating" to evolution? (Interesting new meaning for extrapolate.)

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:30 PM
you think if you're taught that the world is 5000 years old you can be good at science?

how stupid. lmao.

Can't prove yuor claims, Jillian?

Why do you keep lying? We spend generously on education. Our lowered ranking has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or evolution but with the wholesale academic failure of two demographic groups. Guess which ones.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Funny? You never smile Jillian. Your face is fixed in a permanent sneer. We know that.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
It has more to do with teaching to the test than anything. Though even that may not be true as according to the article I posted the private schools aren't doing any better academically.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 01:38 PM

how stupid. lmao.

No, but how many of these schools teach that? Where does it say in the article that they do? Also, where does it say that they were all religious schools? If this is Wisconsin then that program included private/charter schools.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
No, but how many of these schools teach that? Where does it say in the article that they do? Also, where does it say that they were all religious schools? If this is Wisconsin then that program included private/charter schools.

You are pressing for facts against one who has none.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
You are pressing for facts against one who has none.

She'd rather not confront the reality of our educational problems. Instead, she will attribute it all to Christians run amok. :rollseyes:

Ravi
10-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Not just Christians. Fundies.

Chris
10-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Exactly. There is nothing inherently religious about voucher schools. Evolution is just a distraction.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Fundies, Mormorns, Buddhists whatever. It's still nonsense.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 01:45 PM

I used to think they were real assholes, now considering what I've heard out of you today, I have to recalibrate my definition of the word.

nic34
10-07-2013, 01:46 PM

What demographic groups? Did our "lowered ranking" co-incide with someone recently crossing the Atlantic?

The Pacific? :shocked:

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:46 PM
This thread pretty much a flop...:laugh:

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
What demographic groups? Did our "lowered ranking" co-incide with someone recently crossing the Atlantic?

The Pacific? :shocked:

Blacks and Hispanics. As for the rest of your comments...:huh:

Ravi
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Fundies, Mormorns, Buddhists whatever. It's still nonsense.Why is it nonsense? Not all religious people are fundies but all fundies want to control the government. And that includes the school system and education.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Why is it nonsense? Not all religious people are fundies but all fundies want to control the government. And that includes the school system and education.

Support your claim. Man, you really are getting your ass handed to you today. :laugh:

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't see why people are worried about science when half the students graduating don't read at grade level.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2012/feb/23/bill-proctor/rep-proctor-says-half-high-school-grads-cant-read-/

Proctor said "Right now, 50 percent of Florida students leaving high school cannot read at grade level." The results for 10th grade reading FCAT show only 39 percent at grade level. Some additional students met that grade level mark through retests or by a sufficient score on the SAT or ACT, which would boost that 39 percent figure. Another way to measure Proctor’s claim is by looking at the percentage who were deemed college ready for reading based on college entrance exams, and that figure was 55 percent for 2009-10. By both measurements, the figure is close to 50 percent. We rate this claim Mostly True.

Maybe reading "Barney the Dinosaur and Adam Were Friends" is just these schools giving students books at their reading level.

nic34
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Haven't "Blacks and Hispanics" always been here?

From what I've read Asians are the fastest growing community in this country. Shouldn't our "ranking" be getting better?

http://search.census.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&sc=0&query=asians+fastest+growing&m=&affiliate=census&commit=Search

(sorry, govt shut down try here> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/23/149244806/u-s-census-show-asians-are-fastest-growing-racial-group)

Might rethink your philisophy, such as it is.....

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Why is it nonsense? Not all religious people are fundies but all fundies want to control the government. And that includes the school system and education.

The Greek philosophers would all walk up to you and slap you right now. You are the Queen of the Logical Fallacy and Heiress of the Land of No Proof.

Bravo.

jillian
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't see why people are worried about science when half the students graduating don't read at grade level.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2012/feb/23/bill-proctor/rep-proctor-says-half-high-school-grads-cant-read-/

Maybe reading "Barney the Dinosaur and Adam Were Friends" is just these schools giving students books at their reading level.

reading at one's level is not the same as making up nonsense.

there are age appropriate dinosaur books.

and the "mostly true" (rather than "true") given your statement has to do with standardized testing, not necessarily actual reading ability.

and your link only applies to florida...

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
reading at one's level is not the same as making up nonsense.

there are age appropriate dinosaur books.

and the "mostly true" (rather than "true") given your statement has to do with standardized testing, not necessarily actual reading ability.

and your link only applies to florida...

Shall I go to other states? Michigan? Mississippi? And, for the record, that was how you do "tongue in cheek". You don't do it by calling most Democrats child raping satanists. That would be ugly and inflammatory.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Haven't "Blacks and Hispanics" always been here?

From what I've read Asians are the fastest growing community in this country. Shouldn't our "ranking" be getting better?

http://search.census.gov/search?utf8=✓&sc=0&query=asians+fastest+growing&m=&affiliate=census&commit=Search

(sorry, govt shut down try here> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/23/149244806/u-s-census-show-asians-are-fastest-growing-racial-group)

Might rethink your philisophy, such as it is.....

No, actually. The Hispanic population has exploded in the last few decades.

No, because Asians are a relatively tiny population relative to blacks or Hispanics. It should be and is as I said. Moreover, east Asians do better than south Asians. Last, it's not a philosophy. Just the facts.

C'mon, nic. I'm hitting these out of the park. :grin:

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/uploaded_images/bondsRuth-794143.jpg

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
No, actually. The Hispanic had exploded in the last few decades.

No, because Asians are a relatively tiny population relative to blacks or Hispanics. It should be and is as I said.

You ask too much from those with nothing to give.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
You ask too much from those with nothing to give.

What makes me laugh is that invariably they think there must be an underlying agenda. You can't just tell the truth these days I guess...

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:04 PM
No, actually. The Hispanic population has exploded in the last few decades.

No, because Asians are a relatively tiny population relative to blacks or Hispanics. It should be and is as I said. Moreover, east Asians do better than south Asians. Last, it's not a philosophy. Just the facts.

A new analysis (http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/06/06/34analysis.h32.html?tkn=TNYFUjpI2rG4Wc0cHUWoES5lzt jaUIsQNC8s&cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS1&intc=EW-DPCT13-ENL)says that America’s high school graduation rate hit nearly 75 percent in 2010 — the latest year for which data are available — the highest point since 1973. Furthermore, the increase since 2000 has been largely fueled by improvements in the graduation rates for blacks and Hispanics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/06/u-s-high-school-graduation-rate-sees-big-minority-gains-analysis/

So you are incorrect. This is public school graduation, I believe, and not some fundie schools improving the graduation rate.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/06/u-s-high-school-graduation-rate-sees-big-minority-gains-analysis/

So you are incorrect. This is public school graduation, I believe, and not some fundie schools improving the graduation rate.

:smiley_ROFLMAO: In correct about what, Ravi? Do you know? OK so they are passing more blacks and Hispanics (unprepared if if their college drop rates are any indication). What does that tell us?

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
What makes me laugh is that invariably they think there must be an underlying agenda. You can't just tell the truth these days I guess...

Well as Amazon brought up, spending money on indoctrination is of the utmost importance, but spending money on medical care is wrong?

These types of simpletons are what we are up against. Their only merit is sheer numbers like them.

The only time people of this sort of caliber champion their ideals is when they are safe from all challenge or reprisals - like when they are in groups, or swimming about the online fora, or when their opponents are far fewer in number, sometimes all three simultaneously.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
BTW, Ravi, if the improvement was fueled by better graduation rates among blacks and Hispanics that just demonstrates what I said! They were the problem in the first place! :laugh: Good grief...

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Well as Amazon brought up, spending money on indoctrination is of the utmost importance, but spending money on medical care is wrong?

These types of simpletons are what we are up against. Their only merit is sheer numbers like them.

The only time people of this sort of caliber champion their ideals is when they are safe from all challenge or reprisals - like when they are in groups, or swimming about the online fora, or when their opponents are far fewer in number, sometimes all three simultaneously.

And how vicious and hateful they can be!

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 02:10 PM
And how vicious and hateful they can be!

Eh. But as predictable as a programmed robot.

A predictable enemy, can be an asset when used appropriately.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
:smiley_ROFLMAO: In correct about what, Ravi? Do you know? OK so they are passing more blacks and Hispanics (unprepared if if their college drop rates are any indication). What does that tell us?
You're wrong about that as well. Graduation rates are up among all groups.

http://tcf.org/blog/detail/graph-u.s.-college-graduation-rates-are-rising-but-the-rest-of-the-world-is

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM

http://tcf.org/blog/detail/graph-u.s.-college-graduation-rates-are-rising-but-the-rest-of-the-world-is

The fact that the economy has tanked, and that you can't find a decent job anywhere without a degree might have something to do with it - school is a safe haven for the unemployed right now. It has been for about 8 years. Get laid off - go to school.

Graduating because of a watered down curriculum might have something to do with it.

Constantly propping up certain minorities with subsidies and grants might also have something to do with it.

And frankly, none of that means shit anyways. Because roughly 50% of college grads are having a hard time finding work and are moving back in with their parents.

And approximately 1/3 of student loans are defaulting.

College. Wonderful scam on good old 'merica.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM

So white and black/Hispanic rates of graduation were the same prior to this increase? lol

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Here's why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/education/30educ.html?_r=0

A study shows that nearly a third of the states lowered their academic standards to avoid the penalties under the No Child Left Behind law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/education/12exit.html?pagewanted=all

As School Exit Tests Prove Tough, States Ease Standards
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us/plan-to-lower-texas-high-school-standards-could-anger-voters.html

http://educationnext.org/despite-common-core%E2%80%99s-call-for-increased-state-standards-26-states-lower-proficiency-bar/

Recently, states’ definitions of what makes a student proficient in math and reading have been changing—in some cases for the better, in others for the worse. In a new Education Next article, “Despite Common Core, States Still Lack Common Standards,” authors Paul Peterson and Peter Kaplan find that even though 37 states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) received a waiver from the U.S. Department of Education as incentive to join the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) consortia and raise their standards in 2009, standards still declined in rigor in 26 states and D.C. between 2009 and 2011. In the remaining 24 states, standards increased in rigor. In the period since 2007, there has been little change in state standards overall.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/education/30educ.html?_r=0

A study shows that nearly a third of the states lowered their academic standards to avoid the penalties under the No Child Left Behind law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/education/12exit.html?pagewanted=all

As School Exit Tests Prove Tough, States Ease Standards

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us/plan-to-lower-texas-high-school-standards-could-anger-voters.html

http://educationnext.org/despite-common-core’s-call-for-increased-state-standards-26-states-lower-proficiency-bar/

Just stay down, Ravi.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:38 PM
The fact that the economy has tanked, and that you can't find a decent job anywhere without a degree might have something to do with it - school is a safe haven for the unemployed right now. It has been for about 8 years. Get laid off - go to school.

Graduating because of a watered down curriculum might have something to do with it.

Constantly propping up certain minorities with subsidies and grants might also have something to do with it.

And frankly, none of that means shit anyways. Because roughly 50% of college grads are having a hard time finding work and are moving back in with their parents.

If you want to agree with D that minorities are inferior intellectually there's really not much I can say to you. I live in a place that shows just the opposite. Most of the business people I interact with are "minorities" and they are not stupid by any stretch of the imagination.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 02:40 PM

BTW, that article is about college. :laugh:

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
BTW, that article is about college. :laugh:I realize that. It shows that graduation rates from college are also up among all groups.

Mister D
If you want to agree with D that minorities are inferior intellectually there's really not much I can say to you. I live in a place that shows just the opposite. Most of the business people I interact with are "minorities" and they are not stupid by any stretch of the imagination.

No one called anyone stupid, Marie. When the facts are racist it's time to reconsider your position.

Mister D
I realize that. It shows that graduation rates from college are also up among all groups.

So it was just a non-sequitur. Gotcha.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 02:42 PM

You might try an actual scientific debate based off of genetics instead of a logical fallacy, but I suppose that's too hard. I can do it for you, if you like since I don't happen to believe that pigmentation correlates with brain function.

That comes across better than, All the blacks I know are super smart. That's a logical fallacy.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 02:45 PM
You might try an actual scientific debate based off of genetics instead of a logical fallacy, but I suppose that's too hard. I can do it for you, if you like since I don't happen to believe that pigmentation correlates with brain function.

That comes across better than, All the blacks I know are super smart. That's a logical fallacy.

I believe the logical fallacy is an 'anecdote,' very commonly used among the responder.

And the last time I pointed out a logical fallacy of another, the forum went on a tizzy.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:45 PM

It is a logical fallacy and I didn't say it. Nice strawman.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM

So much fail...

Assumptions, logical fallacy, anecdotal evidence...

Remind me to deal with you later - I have a religion class (Old Testament) I gotta bounce to.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
It is a logical fallacy and I didn't say it. Nice strawman.

What? I was merely trying to help you make the accurate posit that skin color and intellect have nothing to do with each other and protect you from making an anecdotal argument.

Ravi
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
What? I was merely trying to help you make the accurate posit that skin color and intellect have nothing to do with each other and protect you from making an anecdotal argument.They have nothing to do with each other and I've been down that road with D before. His claim that minorities are intellectually inferior is easily debunked by knowing that intelligent minorities exist.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
They have nothing to do with each other and I've been down that road with D before. His claim that minorities are intellectually inferior is easily debunked by knowing that intelligent minorities exist.

No, that is a logical fallacy, too. You cannot apply "some" to "all".

Genetic markers show that there is very little difference in minorities and there is no correlation in race which show a higher brain activity or thicker neural tubes for one race than the next. Science, not appeal to emotion or logical fallacies is the best approach.

Because it is likewise true that an appeal to pity is no basis for argument, either.

When someone can prove to me that blacks or hispanics have smaller neural tubes or less brain activity then we will talk about minorities and intellect, until then it is mere evidence which could suggest that blacks and minorities have other issues such as mental disorders like BPD or Depression which have been proven to reduce the ability to focus or perform linear tasks.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Special pleading...

Mister D
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
They have nothing to do with each other and I've been down that road with D before. His claim that minorities are intellectually inferior is easily debunked by knowing that intelligent minorities exist.

"D" never made such a claim. You're lying again. is it pathological?

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

The agenda is to make the students do boring and irrelevant work without reward. This sets them up for demanding less pay when they finally do get rewarded for working at a job.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
The agenda is to make the students do boring and irrelevant work without reward. This sets them up for demanding less pay when they finally do get rewarded for working at a job.

I believe this is true. I've often said we do not send kids to school for an education but so that they can have a job later. Hence the draconian amount of homework they give them these days.

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM

The economy has been falling apart for decades because it has been ruled by college graduates, who are no-talent class-climbers getting a job by going four years without a job. Diploma Dumbos also monopolize positions from which to suggest change. We will race to the bottom until we replace this class-biased indentured servitude with highly paid professional training, starting at the age of 16. That will get us the leadership we need and exclude most of those who get ahead today.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
The economy has been falling apart for decades because it has been ruled by college graduates, who are no-talent class-climbers getting a job by going four years without a job. Diploma Dumbos also monopolize positions from which to suggest change. We will race to the bottom until we replace this class-biased indentured servitude with highly paid professional training, starting at the age of 16. That will get us the leadership we need and exclude most of those who get ahead today.

So you are anti-statist and reject all of Washington DC?

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
What? I was merely trying to help you make the accurate posit that skin color and intellect have nothing to do with each other and protect you from making an anecdotal argument.

Blaming racial rating on "skin color" is a dishonest attempt to paint the other side as only being concerned with superficial differences. It's as if someone who thought midgets should have proportionate representation in the NBA accused his opponents of rejecting that only because midgets have Munchkin voices. This insight reveals that MLK was a liar when he tried to pass off his criminal race as being declared unfit only because of skin color. If there were any objective judges left, they would see through your dishonesty and declare the other side the winner because of the weakness of your argument.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Blaming racial rating on "skin color" is a dishonest attempt to paint the other side as only being concerned with superficial differences. It's as if someone who thought midgets should have proportionate representation in the NBA accused his opponents of rejecting that only because midgets have Munchkin voices. This insight reveals that MLK was a liar when he tried to pass off his criminal race as being declared unfit only because of skin color. If there were any objective judges left, they would see through your dishonesty and declare the other side the winner because of the weakness of your argument.

What is "race"?

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I believe this is true. I've often said we do not send kids to school for an education but so that they can have a job later. Hence the draconian amount of homework they give them these days.

All these proposed educational policies are like putting new paint on a poorly constructed building, watching it fall down, and blaming the paint job.

Public schools, which were instituted in the days of the sweatshops, have never been re-organized to create a free and proud population. To do that, they will have to imitate the way children naturally organize themselves and create motivation for activity. Divide the classes into teams, quiz frequently. The team that gets the highest scores will get Friday off; the lowest team will have to come in on Saturday. To further motivate talented students, individual high scorers from 4 grades older will be paid to teach the Saturday classes.

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
So you are anti-statist and reject all of Washington DC?

There is no state; it's just an illusion created by the 1%, which is its own state and rules all through deceptive pre-owned institutions like the government, the media, and education. If the government is not yours, complaining about it is for fools who believe it will listen to anyone but the 1%.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 03:56 PM
http://jrfibonacci.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/school-photo.jpg

The Sage of Main Street
10-07-2013, 03:56 PM
What is "race"?

A separation of primate species according to fitness. The fittest left for better lands and turned white or yellow; the misfits were pushed back into No Man's Land and turned black or brown.

Alyosha
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
A separation of primate species according to fitness. The fittest left for better lands and turned white or yellow; the misfits were pushed back into No Man's Land and turned black or brown.

What is fittest? I would deem it to be situational.

Peter1469
10-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Yes, depending on the technical advancement of a people.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Well. You haven't reminded me. But I remembered, however since you didn't remind me I'll not take much time to address this invalid statement.

Minorities being mentally inferior? I said nothing of the sort. This is your attempt, a pathetic one at that, to paint me out as some racist who dislikes people solely off of the race they are. An assumption, an erroneous one at that.

Basically, from this point on, I am going to default your position as 'wrong' about everything, barring simple things like common sense, the color of the sky etc... until given compelling reason to change.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Well. You haven't reminded me. But I remembered, however since you didn't remind me I'll not take much time to address this invalid statement.

Minorities being mentally inferior? I said nothing of the sort. This is your attempt, a pathetic one at that, to paint me out as some racist who dislikes people solely off of the race they are. An assumption, an erroneous one at that.

Basically, from this point on, I am going to default your position as 'wrong' about everything, barring simple things like common sense, the color of the sky etc... until given compelling reason to change.

Ravi is a real POS. She really showed her true colors today.

Cthulhu
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Ravi is a real POS. She really showed her true colors today.

I'm sure she/he is delightful in person. But like many, the internet is a magical land where anybody can be anything and be right about everything they want.

Such delusions often only take place within the microcosm.

Peter1469
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Attention: please refrain from directing the term POS towards members. Public figures, of course, are fair game.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm sure she/he is delightful in person. But like many, the internet is a magical land where anybody can be anything and be right about everything they want.

Such delusions often only take place within the microcosm.

I don't lie and when I'm wrong I admit it regardless of the venue. Too bad everyone isn't like that. This Internet anonymity you speak of appeals only to persons of poor character.

Peter1469
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't lie and when I'm wrong I admit it regardless of the venue. Too bad everyone isn't like that. This Internet anonymity you speak of appeals only to persons of poor character.

If you don't expect people to act against their nature, you will experience much lease stress in life.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
If you don't expect people to act against their nature, you will experience much lease stress in life.

All I expect is to to be able to describe that nature. Apparently, that's an insult but intimating that most pedophiles are conservative Christians or explicitly referring to a member of this forum as a racist without a shred of proof to support either claim is OK.

Codename Section
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
All I expect is to to be able to call a POS a POS. Apparently, that's an insult but intimating that most pedophiles are conservative Christians or explicitly referring to a member of this forum as a racist without a shred of proof to support either claim is OK.

The pedophile comment was out there. Yeh.

Venus
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
All I expect is to to be able to call a POS a POS. Apparently, that's an insult but intimating that most pedophiles are conservative Christians or explicitly referring to a member of this forum as a racist without a shred of proof to support either claim is OK.

It's tongue in cheek.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
It's tongue in cheek.

Yeah, I have to remember that gem. :grin:

Venus
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I have to remember that gem. :grin:

;)

Peter1469
10-07-2013, 06:57 PM
All I expect is to to be able to describe that nature. Apparently, that's an insult but intimating that most pedophiles are conservative Christians or explicitly referring to a member of this forum as a racist without a shred of proof to support either claim is OK.

I tend to overlook posts with no support or logic.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 07:11 PM

So do I but when they contain disparaging remarks directed at me because the poster is losing an argument it's harder to overlook.

roadmaster
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
So do I but when they contain disparaging remarks directed at me because the poster is losing an argument it's harder to overlook. And they want to be taken serious when their faith is attacked. I really don't want to hear it anymore.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Probably the best route. Calling people out on their nonsense doesn't seem to be effective.

Codename Section
10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Probably the best route. Calling people out on their nonsense doesn't seem to be effective.

After the pedophile comment with no apology I decided "Ignore" is a good option.

Mister D
10-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Ravi does seem to have gone off the deep end today. Yes, perhaps ignore is best.

AmazonTania
10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
After the pedophile comment with no apology I decided "Ignore" is a good option.

Why? No one here should have that much power over you. Although, if you've found that people aren't willing to have a rational discussion, it's probably best not to continue discussing things with said person.

Chris
10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Ravi does seem to have gone off the deep end today. Yes, perhaps ignore is best.

Just don't let her baiting get to you.

Venus
10-07-2013, 07:46 PM

It did seem that way and I started feeling sorry for her, but then I remembered a few of the nasty comments she has said to not only myself but most of the members here and decided the call out was long over due and necessary.

She has a sharp tongue.

Codename Section
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Why? No one here should have that much power over you. Although, if you've found that people aren't willing to have a rational discussion, it's probably best not to continue discussing things with said person.

It's not that. After what I've been through life becomes "cleaner". You realize you don't have to put up with bullshit to be polite. You can just shrug it off and not bother with someone.

Sometimes that's best. Life short, spend that time conversing with a troll conversing with someone you learn something from.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 05:39 AM
"D" never made such a claim. You're lying again. is it pathological?
Am I confusing you with someone else? If so, I apologize. Please set the record straight and state that you do not believe blacks and/or hispanics are intellectually inferior to other ethnic groups.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 05:42 AM

You are free to do as you please. Just like you ignored the "if" in my post. And, no, I'm not about to remind you to do anything. You're a big boy, act like one.

zelmo1234
10-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Well they did spend a lot of time on the posting in good faith rule.

I think they shodl call it the posting in good faith if you are a conservative rule! :)

Ravi
10-08-2013, 05:43 AM
All I expect is to to be able to describe that nature. Apparently, that's an insult but intimating that most pedophiles are conservative Christians or explicitly referring to a member of this forum as a racist without a shred of proof to support either claim is OK.Republican Christians. I didn't say conservative. There is a huge difference.

jillian
10-08-2013, 05:46 AM

somethng you're a master at, right, chris?

lmao

Alyosha
10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Republican Christians. I didn't say conservative. There is a huge difference.

It was still said without offering any evidence to support it. Just your opinion about something so heinous. If someone were to say that most blacks are violent criminals you would expect them to support it and not try to weasel out of it.

Making generalizations about something so awful is just bad. When I presented contrary evidence you ignored that because you had absolutely no interest in doing anything but causing trouble.

I will now generalize and say this is typical of Democrat posters. They are like seagulls that fly in, shit all over the place, and then fly out.

Mister D
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
It was still said without offering any evidence to support it. Just your opinion about something so heinous. If someone were to say that most blacks are violent criminals you would expect them to support it and not try to weasel out of it.

Making generalizations about something so awful is just bad. When I presented contrary evidence you ignored that because you had absolutely no interest in doing anything but causing trouble.

I will now generalize and say this is typical of Democrat posters. They are like seagulls that fly in, shit all over the place, and then fly out.

^^^ This

Mister D
10-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Am I confusing you with someone else? If so, I apologize. Please set the record straight and state that you do not believe blacks and/or hispanics are intellectually inferior to other ethnic groups.

You're just confused and, quite frankly, a nasty person. I have never made any such claim. You lied. Again.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 08:40 AM
You're just confused and, quite frankly, a nasty person. I have never made any such claim. You lied. Again.

I'll take that as your statement that you do not believe blacks and/or hispanics are intellectually inferior to other ethnic groups.

Mister D
10-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I'll take that as your statement that you do not believe blacks and/or hispanics are intellectually inferior to other ethnic groups.

And I'll continue to watch you try to squirm out of the lies you tell.

Chris
10-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Got to love this. She makes something up, is told she's lying, and then she demands proof.

Ravi, you made the claim, you back it up...for once.

And, D, don't let her bait you.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Got to love this. She makes something up, is told she's lying, and then she demands proof.

Ravi, you made the claim, you back it up...for once.

And, D, don't let her bait you.
An apology and a request is a demand. So 1984 of you chrissie! Why are you trolling when you know it is against the rules?

jillian
10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
An apology and a request is a demand. So 1984 of you chrissie! Why are you trolling when you know it is against the rules?

that's all he and his buds do.

has he "taken care of" us, yet Ravi?

Mainecoons
10-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Divert and distract, anything to avoid backing up your BS, right "ladies" (and I use the term loosely)?

Ravi
10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
that's all he and his buds do.

has he "taken care of" us, yet @Ravi (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=698)?
The little fellow sure is trying.

Chris
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Divert and distract, anything to avoid backing up your BS, right "ladies" (and I use the term loosely)?

Do you remember crawdad, what was it colo_crawdad? The great dissembler.

jillian
10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
The little fellow sure is trying.

i know... but if you say how they're constantly trolling they start to cry

Cthulhu
10-08-2013, 11:04 AM
You are free to do as you please. Just like you ignored the "if" in my post. And, no, I'm not about to remind you to do anything. You're a big boy, act like one.

When you become relevant, I will address you again. Until then -

The Sage of Main Street
10-08-2013, 12:30 PM

They came from the same situation. The fittest got more out of it, so this passive idea of conformity to a situation does not refute the superiority of adjustments. How did the pioneers have a situation different from what the incompetent savages had? In modern times, how did the Israelis build a modern society in the same land where the Arabs had remained in a primitive state for centuries? Those who are jealous of ability have to really reach deeply into a cesspool of twisted logic in order to seem to make a point.

roadmaster
10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Republican Christians. I didn't say conservative. There is a huge difference. Would you like it if I put up a Jewish Crime Report here? It's very reveling that shows how many rabbis are into porn, pedophilia, black market organ transfers, tax evasion, stealing from the poor, enslaving women into sex, and the list goes on. In fact they are worse than any group. You are no better than anyone else and many sites like the BBP, Black nationalist, stormfront I think, and the list goes on that tracts Jewish crime. It's getting old that you attack Christians with such a stick in your eye.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Would you like it if I put up a Jewish Crime Report here? It's very reveling that shows how many rabbis are into porn, pedophilia, black market organ transfers, tax evasion, stealing from the poor, enslaving women into sex, and the list goes on. In fact they are worse than any group. You are no better than anyone else and many sites like the BBP, Black nationalist, stormfront I think, and the list goes on that tracts Jewish crime. It's getting old that you attack Christians with such a stick in your eye.

Be my guest. While you're at it, post all the pedo priests that catch your fancy. Then explain to me how exactly I've attacked Christians.

Venus
10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Be my guest. While you're at it, post all the pedo priests that catch your fancy. Then explain to me how exactly I've attacked Christians.

You'll probably get your wish since most pedos are Christian Republicans and they are also vindictive haters of Dems.

This isn't attacking Christians?

roadmaster
10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Be my guest. While you're at it, post all the pedo priests that catch your fancy. Then explain to me how exactly I've attacked Christians. There are more Rabbis than Christian Priest that went over the line. In fact a whole lot more. You continually attack Christians while we don't attack you.

roadmaster
10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
This isn't attacking Christians? Yes they do.

Venus
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Yes they do.

Yes the do.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 01:01 PM
This isn't attacking Christians?

No. Most Americans are Christians so it stands to reason. Now if I said most Christians are pedos you might have a case.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
There are more Rabbis than Christian Priest that went over the line. In fact a whole lot more. You continually attack Christians while we don't attack you.

IMO, you should clean up your own act before attacking others. As a Christian, I have every right to criticize them even though I haven't in this instance except in your silly little mind.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 01:03 PM
There are more Rabbis than Christian Priest that went over the line. In fact a whole lot more. You continually attack Christians while we don't attack you.
And aren't you funny to think I'm Jewish. Some kind of underlying anti-semitism lurking in your soul?

Venus
10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
No. Most Americans are Christians so it stands to reason. Now if I said most Christians are pedos you might have a case.

This is how your going to spin your nasty comment?

After 24 hours this is the best you came up with?

roadmaster
10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
IMO, you should clean up your own act before attacking others. As a Christian, I have every right to criticize them even though I haven't in this instance except in your silly little mind.
When the Black Nationalist was here all we heard about is how he should be banned for talking bad about Jews. But it's ok for you to cut down everyone else. No, not going to happen. We don't attack jews nor should you be able to attack either. You can't ask for a banning of another and do the same thing.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 01:30 PM

How is that spin? You people really need to start reading for comprehension instead of knee-jerking like nutters.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 01:31 PM
When the Black Nationalist was here all we heard about is how he should be banned for talking bad about Jews. But it's ok for you to cut down everyone else. No, not going to happen. We don't attack jews nor should you be able to attack either. You can't ask for a banning of another and do the same thing.
Who did I ask to have banned?

Venus
10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
How is that spin? You people really need to start reading for comprehension instead of knee-jerking like nutters.

Have you found any of my comments about "wanting the government shut down" yet?

Chris
10-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Explain how that "stands to reason".

Example, say there is group A with 10 people and group B with 100. What if 10% of A are X and 1% of B are? So it simply doesn't stand to reason at all that just because there are more in B it has more instances of X.

Learn a little statistics, it might help.

AmazonTania
10-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Cut her some slack. She's obviously given it alot of thought...

Ravi
10-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Cut her some slack. She's obviously given it alot of thought...
Off topic but why do you feel the need to edit so many of your posts?

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Off topic why are you so snide to people?

Chris
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM

Off topic but in my mind I picture Jon Lovitz overdramatically saying, "It's sarcasm. Yea, that's the ticket!"

Ravi
10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Curious....why didn't you ask AT that question?

AmazonTania
10-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Why ask why?

Maybe it's because I like to convey my thoughts clearly. Wouldn't want a bunch of drones accusing me of making rash generalisations, either.

Ravi
10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Why ask why?

Maybe it's because I like to convey my thoughts clearly. Wouldn't want a bunch of drones accusing me of making rash generalisations, either.why so defensive?

AmazonTania
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
why so defensive?

Why ask a question if you are afraid of what the answer might be?

Ravi
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Why ask a question if you are afraid of what the answer might be?
I'm not afraid but cool deflection.

AmazonTania
10-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not afraid but cool deflection.

Where was the conversation deflected to? Maybe you should ultilise the edit option sometime...