PDA

View Full Version : Sixty Percent of Americans Feel the Federal Government is Too Powerful

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Since everyone likes polls here's one from this week

http://www.gallup.com/poll/164591/americans-belief-gov-powerful-record-level.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Six in 10 Americans (60%) believe the federal government has too much power, one percentage point above the previous high recorded in September 2010. At least half of Americans since 2005 have said the government has too much power. Thirty-two percent now say the government has the right amount of power. Few say it has too little power.

These most recent data come from Gallup's Governance survey, conducted Sept. 5-8. The 7% who feel the government has too little power has been mostly steady since Gallup started tracking the measure regularly in 2002.

Republicans and Democrats Divided on Views of Government

This new high encompasses Republicans (81%), who are now more likely than at any time since 2002 to say the government has too much power, and Democrats (38%), who now are more likely to say this than at any time since President Barack Obama took office in 2009.

Republicans, Democrats, and independents have each grown more likely to say government is too powerful this year. However, Republicans' and Democrats' views have generally become more polarized since Obama took office. In 2002, the two parties were about equally likely to view the federal government as too powerful, at 36% and 35%, respectively, with independents, at 45%, most likely to say this.

As the George W. Bush era continued, both Republicans and Democrats began to report higher levels of unease with the amount of power the federal government held. Between 2004 and 2007, the gap between the parties ranged from seven to 17 percentage points, with Democrats more likely than Republicans to say the government had too much power.

During the 2008 presidential race, about half of Republicans and Democrats held this view. By September 2009, however, views became much more polarized: 25% of Democrats were concerned with the government's power, compared with 78% of Republicans. Since that low point, Democrats have become more likely to view the government as too powerful, with 38% this year saying so -- for a gap of 43 points between the parties.

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/z7iby5svqee9uev8bknzlg.png

So basically Republicans and Independents feel that the federal government has too much power and Democrats (although less than in 2009) believe it has too little.

And since the federal government is growing, I expect this number to grow, as well. Someone remind me which political philosophy distrusts government? Hmmmm.

In addition to this 54% of Americans feel that the federal government is doing things private businesses and individuals should be doing (http://www.gallup.com/poll/157481/majority-say-government-doing.aspx)

I just wanted to point this out since people like to say that only 25% of Americans distrust government, want it smaller, and feel that private citizens can handle problems when its really more like 50-60%.

The Xl
10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
The tide seems to be turning.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 05:47 PM
NSA spying scared the shit out of a lot of people. Luckily they've had the Obamascare debacle to divert their attention from the NSA and Syria.

Chris
10-08-2013, 05:47 PM
The tide seems to be turning.

Somehow I doubt it. What usually happens is the center swings it's vote to other party and it's deja vu all over again.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Somehow I doubt it. What usually happens is the center swings it's vote to other party and it's deja vu all over again.

Ahh, but the millennials are also close to 80% and they didn't turn out the vote last time.

Peter1469
10-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Ahh, but the millennials are also close to 80% and they didn't turn out the vote last time.

They didn't really have much of a choice to vote for a decent candidate.

Chris
10-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Isn't the older generation supposed to preserve liberty for the younger generation?

Common
10-08-2013, 06:22 PM
New Abc poll says 70% with more blameing republicans, Obamas numbers went up 7 points from 44 to 51 and both gop and dems in congress' numbers went down with the gop being 9 points lower than the dems. This is insanity all this over something the REPUBLICANS CANNOT WIN getting obamacare thrownout of stopped. Fight the good fight but fight for something realistic and something that isnt going to make you look like idiots to MOST americans

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 06:24 PM
New Abc poll says 70% with more blameing republicans, Obamas numbers went up 7 points from 44 to 51 and both gop and dems in congress' numbers went down with the gop being 9 points lower than the dems. This is insanity all this over something the REPUBLICANS CANNOT WIN getting obamacare thrownout of stopped. Fight the good fight but fight for something realistic and something that isnt going to make you look like idiots to MOST americans

Totally different subject. This is about the overall perception of the federal government and that includes spying, TSA, etc. The shutdown is all people talk about and is the best thing for the government right now in some ways. When they have to hear about the NSA they don't like it very much. So be happy there's a shutdown.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/multiple-polls-americans-are-more-afraid-of-the-government-than-terrorists.html

A similar poll sampling 588 adults, conducted on April 17 and 18 for the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postpoll_20130418.html), also discovered the change in attitude.

“Which worries you more,” the Post asked, “that the government will not go far enough to investigate terrorism because of concerns about constitutional rights, or that it will go too far in compromising constitutional rights in order to investigate terrorism?”

The poll found 48 percent of respondents worry the government will go too far, compared to 41 percent who worry it won’t go far enough.
And similar to the Fox News poll, the Post found the worry to be a fresh development, as only 44 percent worried the government would go too far in January 2006 and only 27 percent worried the government would go too far in January 2010.

The Fox News poll found that a bare majority of Democrats (51%) would give up more personal freedom to reduce the threat of terror, while only 47% of Republicans – and a mere 29% of independents – would do so.

This is not entirely surprising.

countryboy
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Since everyone likes polls here's one from this week

http://www.gallup.com/poll/164591/americans-belief-gov-powerful-record-level.aspx

So basically Republicans and Independents feel that the federal government has too much power and Democrats (although less than in 2009) believe it has too little.

And since the federal government is growing, I expect this number to grow, as well. Someone remind me which political philosophy distrusts government? Hmmmm.

In addition to this 54% of Americans feel that the federal government is doing things private businesses and individuals should be doing (http://www.gallup.com/poll/157481/majority-say-government-doing.aspx)

I just wanted to point this out since people like to say that only 25% of Americans distrust government, want it smaller, and feel that private citizens can handle problems when its really more like 50-60%.
Yep, that's a Galoot poll too. Can you imagine what the actual number is? That's encouraging actually, thanks for posting.

Chris
10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Here's the three bears chart from Gallup on too much, too little, and just right:

http://i.snag.gy/Lcldk.jpg

The trend reverse right after 2005.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Here's the three bears chart from Gallup on too much, too little, and just right:

http://i.snag.gy/Lcldk.jpg

The trend reverse right after 2005.

Patriot Act awareness and war fatigue. The Department of Homeland Security didn't help, either.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Oh and

...in before Cigar says something about the 2012 elections.

Chris
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Patriot Act awareness and war fatigue. The Department of Homeland Security didn't help, either.

That's what I was trying to think of, what was happening leading up to 2005. What you've named are factors. The Great Recession didn't start till 2006-7, right?

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 07:44 PM
That's what I was trying to think of, what was happening leading up to 2005. What you've named are factors. The Great Recession didn't start till 2006-7, right?

Yes when they popped the housing bubble in 2006 by raising interest rates to "fight inflation".

Chris
10-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes when they popped the housing bubble in 2006 by raising interest rates to "fight inflation".

Nah, I think you pinpointed what started it, Iraq/Afghanistan, Patriot Act, Dept of Homeland Defense. The recession widened the gap, then you see hope for Obama followed by disappointment in Obama, the long long recovery, the recent numerous scandals.

Codename Section
10-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Nah, I think you pinpointed what started it, Iraq/Afghanistan, Patriot Act, Dept of Homeland Defense. The recession widened the gap, then you see hope for Obama followed by disappointment in Obama, the long long recovery, the recent numerous scandals.

Well, we've had that stupid thing for a decade now and it's only going to get worse until it's total. That's the scary part.