PDA

View Full Version : Senate and House Staff Owe Over 10 Million in Unpaid Taxes

Conley
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
As Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich parse the details of their individual tax returns, hundreds of Capitol Hill employees are taking taxpayer dollars to the bank without paying their share.

Internal Revenue Service data show that 3 percent of Senate staffers and more than 4 percent of House staffers owed taxes in 2010, adding up to about $10.6 million in unpaid taxes. More than 98,000 civilian federal employees were delinquent on their taxes in 2010, adding up to more than $1 billion in taxes owed, according to the IRS.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, last year introduced a bill to require federal employees to be fired if they are "seriously delinquent" on their taxes. Seriously delinquent is defined as outstanding federal tax debt for which a public lien has been filed. The bill was passed by committee in June but is still waiting for a vote from the full House.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/24/hundreds-capitol-hill-staffers-didnt-pay-taxes-in-2010/#ixzz1kPHIwTQ9

This is another case of DC wanting us to do as they say, not as they do. I was just reading how much these staffers make under Senators and Congressmen. It's a joke, >100,000 for what exactly? To vote however the lobbyists tell them.

MMC
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I think Rand Paul jumped all over this.....as he reduced his staffs and budget by 30%. He said if all Senators were to do this they would save like 10-25 million dollars. Which he didnt even look at All the Congressmen and Women.

Even his dad and him RENT an Apartement in DC as they Don't want to live there with a Perm Residency.

Conley
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
That is awesome. People look at the salaries for the Senators and Reps but they don't realize how much more money is involved when it comes to their giant staffs (which no doubt are also used for campaigning). Plus even more when you consider how often Congress isn't even in session.

If Romney loses I think Rand Paul could really win the presidency in 2016.

MMC
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
If he will run that is.....I heard today that people are trying to get Mitch Daniels to come out now and run. Which is stupid to even try now.

I am thinking of voting for Ron Paul just so he can get to that platform. Time for Republicans to take back what they created and put Conservatives back in their place.....all in the back of da bus where they belong!!!!!

Conley
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah I don't know if guys like Mitch and Rand want it. If they do I would vote for them. They are miles ahead of our choices this time and last time.