PDA

View Full Version : Unchecked Power Can Be Dangerous

patrickt
10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
"Kwame Kilpatrick, the disgraced former mayor of Detroit, was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption following a series of scandals that showed he had unchecked power while in office. Kilpatrick’s defense attorneys originally had argued that federal prosecutors were overreaching when they recommended he get 28 years – but Judge Nancy Edmunds handed down every minute of it."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/10/ex-detroit-mayor-sentenced-to-28-years-in-prison-for-corruption/

Unchecked power, especially when wielded by a narcissist can be very dangerous. Twenty-eight years is nothing to sneer at and I believe the feds don't give discounts on sentences. President Obama should pay attention.

Peter1469
10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Wow that is a big sentence for corruption.

Dr. Who
10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I expect that he will appeal the sentence. I don't understand the Obama reference. Has anyone any evidence of Presidential corruption? There is a difference between bad political decision making, if that is your issue with Obama, and graft etc. The solution to the former is the next election or if there is moral hazard, there is impeachment.

patrickt
10-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Is there any evidence of unchecked power? Is there any evidence of President Obama's sincere desire to rule with no congress and no Supreme Court? Is there any evidence of his disdain for the Constitution? Has he ever said he would proceed with his agenda without Congress? Has he expressed a desire to rule without a Supreme Court to interfere with his plans? Surely, he hasn't shown disregard for the electoral process by suing states that try to discourage election fraud? Does he dream of getting 98% of the vote like Saddam Hussein or Fidel Castro?

As for corruption? IRS. ATF. Solyndra. $76,000,000 missing from Obamacare role-out. $800.000 to ACORN? An internet donation process intentionally allowing foreign nationals to donate? Sharing income tax information illegally both within and outside the government? Shutting down private businesses on federal land for political gain? How about a $10,000,000 award for an affordable $50 light bulb that didn't work very well? How about continuing to fund the remnants and the individuals of ACORN? How about not implementing Obamacare as required by law? How about taxpayer monies to favored unions?

But, before there can be any case for corruption there has to be an investigation. Remember Gerald Walpin. He was fired for investigation a friend of Obama's, Mayor Kevin Johnson. Now, who would investigate the President? When all but one of the women accusing President Clinton were audited by the IRS there was no investigation. In the current IRS scandal there is no investigation. The culprits plead the fifth and the liberals run interference for them. So, who would investigate?

I will admit that between incompetence and Chicago politics it gets difficult to draw the line but in the desire for unchecked power it's quite clear. But, corruption isn't the issue. Unchecked power is.

Libhater
10-11-2013, 06:08 AM
I'll go out on a limb here to suggest that this mayor is a Democrat. The rest of the story of corruption should now fit into the scenario of Democrat politics as a whole.

Chris
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Power corrupts, absolutely.

Why are we letting politicians do this to our cities, states and country?