PDA

View Full Version : American Special Forces Rescue Hostages from Somali Pirates

Conley
01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
KHARTOUM, Sudan — American commandos raced into Somalia early Wednesday and rescued two aid workers, an American woman and a Danish man, after a shootout with Somali pirates who had been holding them captive for months.

The American soldiers swooped in by helicopter, killed nine pirates and captured several others, before spiriting away the hostages, who were not harmed, Western officials said.

It appeared that President Obama was fully aware of the raid as he was about to give his State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, which would have been early Wednesday in Somalia.

When Mr. Obama was overheard congratulating Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta as the president entered Congress for his State of the Union message, the two hostages were already safe, though the mission was not yet complete. The president made no mention of the rescue in Somalia, but he did refer to the killing of Osama bin Laden in a similar operation conducted in May by Navy Seals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/world/africa/us-raid-frees-2-hostages-from-somali-pirates.html

Awesome work by our finest.

Mister D
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm sure they had a pleasant stay.

Good work.

jgreer
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
This is the kind of thing our military should be used for

Props to Obama for not making it political and using it in his speech

MMC
01-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes good job.....although I do questions the Millions spent to save a couple of relief workers/spies! Guess we can enter any country when we want to. Especially when playing policeman for the World. Did the UN gives us Special Badges. Or did we just make our own shit up!

Flips Wallet, shows Identification......American- you have the right to die, anthing you say will cause you to die, to remain silent will cause us to detain you indefinately, where you will die. You have the right to an attorney, only if you are an American. In Which you will be tried in a Court of Law and then you will die. Do you understand these rights now? If not, you Die.....here and now!

Conley
01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Well if part of the mission of the American military is to save American lives I've got no problem with it. Besides, it's not like a search and rescue deal where someone was being an idiot climbing a mountain they had no business being on. Granted working in Somalia is not a smart move but I believe the hostage was part of a relief effort with good intentions. That should count for something.