PDA

View Full Version : Obama Host Stanley Cup Champions but Key American Protests Politics

Conley
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama honored the NHL's Boston Bruins for their 2011 Stanley Cup championship, but one key member of the team was absent.

Goaltender Tim Thomas, one of only two Americans from the 2011 Stanley Cup team, decided not to join his teammates.

Thomas posted the following statement on his Facebook page at 6 p.m. ET:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/7493826/barack-obama-honors-stanley-cup-champion-boston-bruins-tim-thomas-no-show

I'm seeing comments like this more and more often. Looks at the success of Ron Paul this year too, only four GOP contenders left and he's one of them. We are waking up to the fact that Washington is not working for us. Soon the question will be not whether we will act, but if we will act in time.

MMC
01-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Ah.....another joins Dan Hampton of Da Bears who also refused to go and meet Obama.

Conley
01-25-2012, 11:15 PM
His message is key IMO -- he's not against Obama because he's a Republican. He's against Obama because of principle, a key distinction from many Obama bashers who don't pay attention.

Jail Nation
01-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Thomas posted the following statement on his Facebook page at 6 p.m. ET:
"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

Captain Obvious
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
What a fucking jackass - there are (I believe) two Americans on the Bruins team, he's one of them.

Know what? Shut the fuck up and go to the Whitehouse, it's an honor. I have deeply rooted philosophical issues with BO, but getting a chance to meet a sitting president would be the honor of a lifetime.

Nobody gives a fuck about your political stance. You play hockey - entertain us on the ice, otherwise fuck off.

Wasn't it Mark Chmura who refused to go to the Whitehouse after the Packers won the Superbowl - for "moral" reasons when wild Bill was in office - then Chmura got caught banging his underage babysitter?

Just goes to show you, just like musicians - athletes with money who think their opinion matters turn out to be just regular jackasses - with money.

MMC
01-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Kinda like those in Hollywood and NY.....as usual the statement comes out that he is not making a political statement within his political statement.

wingrider
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
nice to see someone standing on a principle for once instead of throwing them in the trash and going with what is expedient or politically correct.

my hat is off to him for haveing the backbone to say no.

wingrider
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
What a fucking jackass - there are (I believe) two Americans on the Bruins team, he's one of them.

Know what? Shut the fuck up and go to the Whitehouse, it's an honor. I have deeply rooted philosophical issues with BO, but getting a chance to meet a sitting president would be the honor of a lifetime.

Nobody gives a fuck about your political stance. You play hockey - entertain us on the ice, otherwise fuck off.

Wasn't it Mark Chmura who refused to go to the Whitehouse after the Packers won the Superbowl - for "moral" reasons when wild Bill was in office - then Chmura got caught banging his underage babysitter?

Just goes to show you, just like musicians - athletes with money who think their opinion matters turn out to be just regular jackasses - with money.

there is a difference between standing on a belief and banging some chick, I don't see how one interacts with the other,

Conley
01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
People keeping their mouths shut is what has led us to this two sides of the same coin crappy system that we currently have. More people should speak up about the crap going on in Washington.

It's not as if this guy went on a speaking tour (on a Listening Bus :grin:) either, he declined the invitation and posted a tweet about it. BFD. If you don't like it, ignore it. I have no problem with athletes or actors speaking their mind. It's the right of every American. If you don't want to read about it then don't read the crap news sources that report this stuff (easier said than done, granted).

MMC
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't have a problem with them speaking out.....as a matter of fact he should have went and laid into the Presidents Azz about shit. Right there in front of the Press. Get the Prez to give up an answer. As in Whatcha gonna do about it? Then I would if a professsional athlete I be.....only then would I sign his Puck and Pennant! :wink:

Mister D
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
People keeping their mouths shut is what has led us to this two sides of the same coin crappy system that we currently have. More people should speak up about the crap going on in Washington.

It's not as if this guy went on a speaking tour (on a Listening Bus :grin:) either, he declined the invitation and posted a tweet about it. BFD. If you don't like it, ignore it. I have no problem with athletes or actors speaking their mind. It's the right of every American. If you don't want to read about it then don't read the crap news sources that report this stuff (easier said than done, granted).

I guess that's what bothers me. Why is this a story?

wingrider
01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
because some one had the audaucity to diss the pres

Conley
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I guess that's what bothers me. Why is this a story?

It's not a big story I don't think - maybe on sports channels. I think that's just the 24/7 cycle we've talked about before.

I posted it because I thought it was notable that someone in pro sports (who usually just care about making $$$) actually had the balls to do something about what a lot of us here have been saying, that being that the system is broken and needs fixing. IMO we all need to raise awareness on this issue, because a lot of people just haven't figured it out. It's the same reason I want to see Ron Paul do well even if I don't agree with some of his positions.

If any of you guys did the same thing I would applaud you for it, but it wouldn't be in the news because as far as I know none of you are famous, not even General Wing. :grin:

Mister D
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
because some one had the audaucity to diss the pres

Well, they also report what some idiot actor thinks about the GOP too. Who cares? Does anyone? Why is this a story?

Mister D
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
It's not a big story I don't think - maybe on sports channels. I think that's just the 24/7 cycle we've talked about before.

I posted it because I thought it was notable that someone in pro sports (who usually just care about making $$$) actually had the balls to do something about what a lot of us here have been saying, that being that the system is broken and needs fixing. IMO we all need to raise awareness on this issue, because a lot of people just haven't figured it out. If any of you guys did the same thing I would applaud you for it, but it wouldn't be in the news because as far as I know none of you are famous, not even General Wing. :grin:

That's a good point.

Conley
01-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Well, they also report what some idiot actor thinks about the GOP too. Who cares? Does anyone? Why is this a story?

It's pointless to rail against these smaller stories. With hundreds of 24 hour cable channels and the number of websites out there, all you can do is change the channel, website, or thread. You can't really avoid it completely.

Conley
01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm fairly certain it would have been easier for this guy to just keep his mouth shut and go along with it to not rock the boat, but he put himself out there and risked some negative attention to do what he thought was right. I didn't see it as him being preachy or telling us to vote a certain way as some other notables, especially actors, have done in the past.

MMC
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Well the real reason it is a story is due to Boston knowing ahead of time that he was going to do this. They could have fined him for not showing up to the event. But they didn't. Some are saying that this guy is all about himself anyways. That he did not handle this the right way. As it causes all his other team-mates to try and answer questions as to why this guy did this. Leaving a controversy whereever they go.

Which they were all waiting on him and the team to get back from the All Star game this weekend. Plus now every city they visit will be asking about what's up with him and the Prez. Guess it's not good for the team if they have to focus on all that shit instead of playing hockey.

wingrider
01-31-2012, 12:53 AM

I posted it because I thought it was notable that someone in pro sports (who usually just care about making $$$) actually had the balls to do something about what a lot of us here have been saying, that being that the system is broken and needs fixing. IMO we all need to raise awareness on this issue, because a lot of people just haven't figured it out. It's the same reason I want to see Ron Paul do well even if I don't agree with some of his positions.

If any of you guys did the same thing I would applaud you for it, but it wouldn't be in the news because as far as I know none of you are famous, not even General Wing. :grin:

ahh but you just never know.. LOL

Captain Obvious
01-31-2012, 05:01 PM
there is a difference between standing on a belief and banging some chick, I don't see how one interacts with the other,

The mindset of liberalism is to throw our country under the bus every chance they get because our country stands for something that goes against the grain of what liberals believe in. I don't subscribe to that ideology for a number of different reasons.

One thing about Charlie Rangel - love him or hate him, he stood by GW during that time when Chavez was doing an end-around with the whole offering subsidized gas to poor Americans. According to Rangel - (something to the effect of) "GW is my president and I'm not going to side with a half-bit dictator, not on my turf, not in my country".

I applaud that sentiment and I stand by it. Visiting the Whitehouse for any American should be an honor and a privilege for any American and the fact that this dickhole was one of two Americans on that team is an utter embarrassment.

The only thing this guy proved to me is that his little political pissing contest world is more important to him than his representation of his country.

Mister D
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
The mindset of liberalism is to throw our country under the bus every chance they get because our country stands for something that goes against the grain of what liberals believe in. I don't subscribe to that ideology for a number of different reasons.

One thing about Charlie Rangel - love him or hate him, he stood by GW during that time when Chavez was doing an end-around with the whole offering subsidized gas to poor Americans. According to Rangel - (something to the effect of) "GW is my president and I'm not going to side with a half-bit dictator, not on my turf, not in my country".

I applaud that sentiment and I stand by it. Visiting the Whitehouse for any American should be an honor and a privilege for any American and the fact that this dickhole was one of two Americans on that team is an utter embarrassment.

The only thing this guy proved to me is that his little political pissing contest world is more important to him than his representation of his country.

Considering his relationship with Castro that seems like a very odd thing for Rangel to say about Chavez. Castro has always made a show of support for American blacks while Cuban blacks remain at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder. That said, I applaud his sentiment as well despite the apparent inconsistency of his views.