PDA

View Full Version : An interesting self-deportation proposal

Mister D
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
From Ron Unz of all people.

Ron Unz (http://www.vdare.com/search/node/Ron%20Unz) is an intellectual entrepreneur of Gingrichian proportions, although he tends to stay with ideas longer and some (abolishing bilingual education (http://www.vdare.com/letters/english-for-the-childrens-ron-unz-comments-on-joe-guzzardi)) are very good. We are posting here, with Unz’s permission, an email he wrote to friends on January 24 about the possible role that his proposal for a massive increase in the minimum wage could play in the primaries.

Although Unz does not emphasize the point here, his original proposal was actually designed to discourage low-skilled immigration (http://www.vdare.com/articles/sailer-on-unz-immigration-the-minimum-wage-and-the-rule-of-law), both illegal and legal—and encourage its self-deportation. Employers would not be able to substitute cheap labor for capital investment—they would have to turn to mechanization (or get out of labor-intensive activities only made economic (http://www.vdare.com/articles/the-strawberries-of-wrath-abel-maldonado-plants-a-new-people-at-taxpayer-expense) by illegal immigration).

Of course, this would require enforcement, which the Obama Administration has systematically abandoned (http://www.vdare.com/articles/obama-s-administrative-amnesty-impeachment-is-the-only-answer).

http://www.vdare.com/articles/ron-unz-has-a-modest-proposal-for-mitt-romney-to-encourage-self-deportation-raise-the-minim

Conley
01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Very interesting article.

I can see how if Romney proposed raising the minimum wage that much he might gain more supporters making those kinds of wages. I might be wrong but it seems to me most earning that kind of money don't even vote, and when they do, they vote Democrat. It seems like it would be more of a strategy in the general.

I doubt that one could convince Congress to move anywhere close to that. Too many corporate interests in the cheap, endless labor of illegal immigrants. If it passed it definitely could put a dent in that but considering that a lot of illegals don't even get paid the minimum I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
It would make a dent in legal immigration and guest workers as well (or so they say) because it will remove some of the incentive to hire migrants. Now I know this would cause a great deal of bellyaching among the GOP base but it's an interesting idea.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Frankly, i don;t see what the GOP has to lose in the long term. Those making that kind of money won't vote for them in large numbers anyway so if there are less of those people it's better for the GOP/

Elibe
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
but all the business owners will have to pay thousands and thousands of extra dollars so they aren't going to contribute to a campaign like that

besides what is wrong with legal immigration?

Mister D
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
but all the business owners will have to pay thousands and thousands of extra dollars so they aren't going to contribute to a campaign like that

besides what is wrong with legal immigration?

How many poor, uneducated people do you think we can absorb?

No doubt businesses won't like it. No surprise there. Cheap alien labor is in their interest but over the long term it is not in the interests of the GOP.

Conley
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I admit I don't know much about legal immigration. I assume that there are certain quotas and standards required. Are you saying that the bulk of legal immigrants are poor and uneducated?

Mister D
01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I admit I don't know much about legal immigration. I assume that there are certain quotas and standards required. Are you saying that the bulk of legal immigrants are poor and uneducated?

Undoubtedly. As I've said many times, I'm all for small numbers of highly educated people from wherever to fill our needs. The influx from Latin America, however, is anything but well educated or skilled. It retards technological growth and deflates wages for lower class natives in addition to any social problems.

Elibe
01-26-2012, 12:27 PM
so you are against all immigration except for highly educated

that would kill our economy

we still need unskilled workers so where would they come from

Mister D
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
so you are against all immigration except for highly educated

that would kill our economy

we still need unskilled workers so where would they come from

Generally speaking, yes, although with unemployment so high we should all be.

We have plenty of unskilled workers here now and any deficit could be made up with guest workers.

MMC
01-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Corporations would end up paying more. Even small buisness. Which then Corporations would move overseas for the cheap labor. Already we hear how Small buisness is looking for markets where? Somewhere else but here in the US. Looking to put that product out overseas. While here back home becoming more technological and reducing labor anyways.

Both Corporations and Small buisness will switch to the Future model. No more Full-Time jobs. No more benefits that have to be payed out. No more doubling that social security drop. Giving them more access to open buisnesses overseas and going with the cheap labor on the other side of markets.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Corporations would end up paying more. Even small buisness. Which then Corporations would move overseas for the cheap labor. Already we hear how Small buisness is looking for markets where? Somewhere else but here in the US. Looking to put that product out overseas. While here back home becoming more technological and reducing labor anyways.

Both Corporations and Small buisness will switch to the Future model. No more Full-Time jobs. No more benefits that have to be payed out. No more doubling that social security drop. Giving them more access to open buisnesses overseas and going with the cheap labor on the other side of markets.

Unfortunately for them, that supply of cheap labor is starting to dry up. wages have already risen significantly in China, for example.

Conley
01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Realistically those jobs are never coming back here. Even if Chinese wages go up they'll just move on to the next impoverished country with no labor laws. There are plenty to choose from in Africa.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Realistically those jobs are never coming back here. Even if Chinese wages go up they'll just move on to the next impoverished country with no labor laws. There are plenty to choose from in Africa.

That's about the only place left and it isn't that attractive right now for obvious reasons.

Conley
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
That's about the only place left and it isn't that attractive right now for obvious reasons.

Not attractive right now...but if Chinese wages continue to rise it'll eventually be cheaper to manufacture in Africa regardless of the drawbacks.

There are still some poor parts of Asia which work as well. I just don't see manufacturing on a large scale ever coming back to the U.S.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Not attractive right now...but if Chinese wages continue to rise it'll eventually be cheaper to manufacture in Africa regardless of the drawbacks.

There are still some poor parts of Asia which work as well. I just don't see manufacturing on a large scale ever coming back to the U.S.

I don't either. I'm arguing that. If anything, we'll become increasingly mechanized. My point is that the supply of chjeap labor isn't inexhaustible. It might have looked that way 30 years ago but those days are coming to an end.

Conley
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Where do you think it will go then?

Mister D
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Where do you think it will go then?

The models will have to change. Heck, our culture will have to change. I think things will have to become more mechanized and consumption will decrease.

Mister D
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Just my two cents anyway...

Conley
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
The models will have to change. Heck, our culture will have to change. I think things will have to become more mechanized and consumption will decrease.

Agreed. It is difficult to predict.

MMC
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Central and South America too.