PDA

View Full Version : Bomb hits Iraq Holy City During Shia Rite.....

MMC
07-16-2011, 08:04 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/bombs-hit-iraq-holy-city-during-shiite-rite-093217425.html
Reuters – 3 hrs ago

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A bomb attached to a policeman's car blew up Saturday in the Iraqi city of Kerbala, killing at least three people and wounding 15 others during an annual Shi'ite pilgrimage, officials said.
It was the third attack in the holy city in the last two days as Shi'ites observe the anniversary of Imam Mohammed al-Mehdi's birthday, one of the annual pilgrimages that have evolved into shows of strength for Iraq's majority Shi'ites since the fall of Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.

Shi'ite religious rites were banned under Saddam. They have been targeted frequently by Sunni Islamist insurgents since the U.S.-led invasion that deposed him.
While violence has fallen sharply in Iraq in recent years, militants still launch hundreds of attacks each month.

Seems the Sunni know just how to keep feeding the Shia.....and making it look more and more that we are going to back the Sunni. No matter what. The Sunni is now attacking Shia in over 4 different countries. When will we wake up to this fact? Not to mention to leave only 10k Troops in Iraq and having them only defend themselves after they have been fired upon is UNACCEPTABLE! Thoughts? >:(

Mister D
07-16-2011, 08:27 AM
When you said "bomb hit" I thought this was going to be a story about a US strike whether mistaken or not. Good thing it's not. :)

I think the time is coming when Iraqis will have to sort this out on their own. I think a US presence is important but the lead has to be taken by Iraqis themselves.

MMC
07-16-2011, 10:21 AM
They have the lead now.....which is why those artillery guys got wacked on patrol. Again Splitting 10k troops between two bases is only going to endanger our guys. The population is rising against us. We are being attacked from Shia neighborhoods where were safe before. Plus they mortared the Green Zone when Panetta stopped in. Looks like they got word who the New Sec. of Def. is too.....

The US offers to scale down just to keep a presence there......placate the Iraqis while we still on their soil and able to get a quick response off.....just in case any shit goes down with Iran. Then we are on the other side with a Fleet South of them. Looks like we circling the wagon so to speak. Now with the Pakis voicing and acting in oppositon of our direct interests, then have Afghanistan and the Taliban up in our face, plus now throw the Shia uniting against us, i think it is high time that we re-think the situation.

Conley
07-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't an errant U.S. bomb.

Honestly these sorts of things have been going on forever and it's a bit of hubris to think that the US could end conflicts with such deep roots. We can't, and we must accept that as reality. The whole idea of a peaceful Middle East is a ridiculous notion. There is a culture difference that most here could not begin to comprehend...

MMC
07-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes which does not include any of the true Babylonians that want no part of Arabs running their country. Problem is they are the minority and I doubt they could ever take it back. Wonder what the True Persians have to say?

Mister D
07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
10 years now? Man, time flies huh?

MMC
07-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Well actually Afghanistan is the longest running war now.....still Al-Sadr is strirring up the Shia, and he is the only number two Cleric speaking in terms of power and influence. We know they're civilians still working there. Plus the Embassy Staff.

Anyone care to venture anything else we got inside Iraq? :-\

Mister D
07-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Yes which does not include any of the true Babylonians that want no part of Arabs running their country. Problem is they are the minority and I doubt they could ever take it back. Wonder what the True Persians have to say?

This is a cool chart. It shows the Arab percentage of the population per country. It states that Iraq is 3/4 Arab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_people#Arab_population

MMC
07-16-2011, 07:15 PM
See how they have all become a part of one another. Intermingling. Yeah I think that is a excellent chart. Shows who was who and before all that intermingling.

Mister D
07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
See how they have all become a part of one another. Intermingling. Yeah I think that is a excellent chart. Shows who was who and before all that intermingling.

Yeah, there seems to have been a lot of mixing in that region. The article mentions that about Libya and the rest of north Africa.

MMC
07-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Which validates what I stated about the Berbers and the Bedioun.....Which is again whay they have no identity as to themselves anymore.